It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: Abysha

Imagine you are the only one who does not comply in the neighborhood or street. Or just try to sell your home once the allyways are corrupt and filled with dirty needles...

Why would I be the only ass to not help out?

What happened to a sense of community responsibility? Where did that spirit go in America?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The majority of homeless people in my country are not mentally instable nor drug addicts. Some of them are, but certainly not all of them. Some of these people indeed say they want to be in the streets, but let's face it: some don't have much left but their pride - for what that is worth - so what else do you expect them to say?

Being homeless is certainly not a choice for most. Many homeless people were once working people, some even holding high positions. Even in my country - a rich and egalitarian country - we have people that live on the streets, alas. These people have sad stories to tell: how they were very succesful in life, had a wife, house, children, and a mortgage they could afford. How the company they worked for for many years went bust or they were seen as too old and expensive and discarded (sometimes after 20-30 years of loyal service), they couldn't find a new job or had to take jobs that payed far less. This spirals down then: the mortgage is too high for the new job (no, we can't just give the keys to the bank here), the bank does not want to settle for less and after some time will sell their house, which will leave them without a home AND often with a remaining substantial debt. In many case their partner can not cope with all that and leaves them.

Most of them are properly being caught by our social security net, but their debts will keep adding up, as the bank will demand getting its money to pay of the remainder of the debt - which is often more than they earn. The only thing they can do then is to ask to be put under State supervisory for many years, which will rid them of all debts, but will not allow for much more than just survival. Many can't cope with that, after all, what did they to wrong? Nothing! Then it all spirals down and in the end we'll find a former top notch employee housed in a cardboard box.

I'm not saying the idea of housing people in some shed in the backyard is a good idea - I dont' think it is. I believe that in any sound society every person should have a PROPER roof over its head, not just a shed (let alone a cardboard box). It is our common responsibility to make it so. Yes, you will be slightly less fat, slightly less rich, but come on, what are you: an egoistic swine, or a human being?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
it is capitalism youtu.be... chick , the light of the whole world, the citadel of freedom and justice . ugh on such freedom, ugh once again

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Imagine you are the only one who does not comply in the neighborhood or street. Or just try to sell your home once the allyways are corrupt and filled with dirty needles...

Why would I be the only ass to not help out?

What happened to a sense of community responsibility? Where did that spirit go in America?

It's not just America that has lost the sense of community, as times get tougher and people lose faith they tend to lose compassion as well.

I think the way society is geared these days allows people to become selfish, if you can live comfortably on your own without help it leads to a superiority complex and people can view others an inferior, and since money seems to be a gauge that dictates a person's worth here we are in this mess.
edit on 16-4-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sense of community was lost from shifting responsibilities. The shift from providing and taking care of family first to now the government has it.

I get tired every year of see those photos during the winter months of families in their homes on energy assistance. The news paper articles that talk about people that need assistant. But right there in the photos of the families needing energy assistance, you see designer clothes, laptops, big screen TVs, a cable box, packets of cigarettes, video games, and cell phones?

Our society squanders wealth on the frivolous, and expects government to take care of families.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

If a homeless person is too violate or criminal for their families to take care of, why do I want them in my backyard?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Are you homeless?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Empathy is not having a bleeding heart full of sympathy.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I am surprised no one brought up free market capitalism as a solution.
It is a simple supply and demand issue.
Get the government, foreign investors and flippers out of the way and housing prices would no longer be artificially inflated and would be more affordable for the working poor.

How come the free market is the solution when it comes to working wages but not housing?

www.usnews.com...
Many of the homeless work regular jobs, in some cases serving the very people whose sky-high net worth is the reason housing has become unaffordable for so many.

www.vcstar.com...
A look at California's working homeless

www.npr.org...
California Housing Crisis: Working But On The Brink Of Homelessness

edit on 16-4-2018 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Sense of community was lost from shifting responsibilities. The shift from providing and taking care of family first to now the government has it.

Apparently, with increasing numbers of homeless, especially in liberal California, this is not true.
People say let charity to provide. Why wait for the government to get out of the way?
From this thread and many others across the INTERNET, charity would not work.
They want others to provide charity.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Are you homeless?

No, why?

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So the county will pay you to house them.
Raise your taxes because of the extra building.
Tax your income from the little house.
Make you responsible for a total stranger.

What could go wrong????

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

You work HARD your whole life, TRY to raise your child with innocence and trust... Attempt to keep her safe and thennnn...BAM! I think this whole idea sucks big time and is an infringement on peoples ability to Just Say No!!!

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Right on and a very important point, having several low to below poverty people in my life over the years, I know for a FACT what you are saying is true true true...this is why they are so easily controlled. Like I say, open some fema camps for them to live in. None of us are more than a few paychecks away from homelessness, a financial drop, emergency widespread natural or manmade, we are all vulnerable yet with just a little dignity the choices we make to remain independent are what defines our lives, not what we can take but what we can give. I am poor as a church mouse but always find ways to share what I have.

The fema camps would serve to re-educate the homeless and give the authorities a chance to "sort them out". Build an infrastructure than eventually helps move them out of the camps and into actual homes for some, apartment complexes for others and build factories for those able to work. For those who need or want to continue living off the fat of the land, have fiduciaries who pay their bills, help with buying their food, and stop giving free money period.
edit on am430amFri, 20 Apr 2018 07:08:21 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

You work HARD your whole life, TRY to raise your child with innocence and trust... Attempt to keep her safe and thennnn...BAM! I think this whole idea sucks big time and is an infringement on peoples ability to Just Say No!!!

www.nbcnews.com...

So... stop a plan to help homeless people because sex offenders are pretending to be homeless?

Don't you see they only have that option of they don't have an address? Which they would have if they were in this program?

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   

May I ask you if you own a piece of land, a house or similar, that you earned for yourself, with hard work?

If yes, you should instantly invite all homeless people you know. Now. To learn a important lesson. If not, please stop being so obtuse. Do not try to spin others peoples post like you just did.

Don´t you see the paradox?
You go working every day, to be able to afford your house.
You put in some people, that proofed to make bad decissions constantly (most of them, not all, but you don´t know), into your house.

Will you leave them there while you´re at work? In your home, your castle, the most sacred private place a person can have?

How many non-homeless strangers on the street, that you don´t know their history either, would you trust to be left alone in your castle?

These are rethorical questions, answer them to yourself and then rethink what you are demanding.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
To add a little context, and it´s archived in the forums:

I do charity in our community and it´s not the snobby one. Like handing out soup in the freezing cold while most families sit at a rich decked table, we used to go out and give out tea, coffee and soup as a family.

It´s past tense because I skipped the last two years because of health problems and funerals.

So please don´t think I´m a heartless person. I also got my "scars" over the decades, as a volunteer.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

May I ask you if you own a piece of land, a house or similar, that you earned for yourself, with hard work?

If yes, you should instantly invite all homeless people you know. Now. To learn a important lesson. If not, please stop being so obtuse. Do not try to spin others peoples post like you just did.

Don´t you see the paradox?
You go working every day, to be able to afford your house.
You put in some people, that proofed to make bad decissions constantly (most of them, not all, but you don´t know), into your house.

Will you leave them there while you´re at work? In your home, your castle, the most sacred private place a person can have?

How many non-homeless strangers on the street, that you don´t know their history either, would you trust to be left alone in your castle?

These are rethorical questions, answer them to yourself and then rethink what you are demanding.

Your post tells me you didn't read what the program actually is. Nobody stays in your home, these people are selected out of applicants, and nobody is forcing you to participate.

Wanting it to be available for myself and others to participate in somehow makes me controversial?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Point is from your views, if "You" are shaming and bullying others to believe like you then what to expect in neighborhoods where this program would take off? If you are not part of it you would become ostracized and left totally vulnerable, in danger. To say hive thought is voluntary is immature.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This whole thing is a set up for Agenda 2030... bottom line.

<< 9  10  11   >>

join