It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County wants to help build guest houses in backyards — for homeless people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
More insanity from the loony left coast!

L.A. TIMES

In August, the county Board of Supervisors approved a $550,000 pilot program to build a handful of small backyard houses, or upgrade illegally converted garages, for homeowners who agree to host a homeless person or family. Then in February, Bloomberg Philanthropies awarded L.A. a $100,000 Mayor's Challenge grant to study the feasibility of backyard homeless units within the city limits.

What a great way to destroy property values and turn the entire county into a slum. I'd like to propose that they should start with a pilot program. Every single City Councilman and legislator who supports this idea puts a tiny house in their backyard first and see how that works out. Oh, and we the public get to randomly select the tenant!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No freaking way I would allow something like that to happen!
I wouldn't even want that happening in my neighborhood.

Maybe that makes me cruel.
edit on 13-4-2018 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

This sounds like it's targeted at middle class homeowners.

But wait, the middle class has already fled this sinking ship. Those left are either complicit in the mental disorder or desperate for money. So this might just work.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

These idiots just keep rolling out the welcome mat - if this takes hold the homeless population would explode. I've got my home and business here and it would kill me to relocate but seriously they've got me thinking I should bail out before my equity evaporates.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There had been a similar attempt to push this in germany.

Where the owner of currently unrented homes and even unused floors in private homes, should have been forced to take up refugees, in exchange for rent. Because refugee centers where overfilling.

So you get paid rent but have no say who is living in your own house. Luckily they realized that the public wasn´t brainwashed as much as needed and then Cologne happened.

What a nightmare to see them live down your hard earned house. I know refugee centers, I know most give a # about what belongs to others and to treat it nice. Quiet the contrary.

"live down" = destroy
edit on 13-4-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Why stop at back yards?
How soon before they actually move them into your houses, LA?

All those extra bedrooms going to waste.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

This is a wacky idea, so be patient and here me out. . . .

What about creating an economic environment where people who want to work and don't want to be homeless can find jobs and support themselves.

Or. . .

We can continue with solutions that only treat the symptoms and further the reliance on an inefficient bloated corrupt government.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

No good deed goes unpunished...how many sexual assaults/rapes will occur within the first 6 months providing it is a substantial number of temporary shelters built...perhaps for some homeless people this may be just the break they need..here in Massachusetts it's impossible to evict someone for not paying rent...you can possibly have to wait up to a year to kick someone out...wonder how this will shake out if the homeless person does not want to leave..also who is paying for the shelters and how will building codes play into this...

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This all sounds very Christian of all of you.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Yeah, such a great idea only as always the soft hearted compassionate souls who come up with these ideas are the last ones to actually do it. I say lead by example - Mayor Garcetti has plenty of room to build a few Homeless Havens let's see that first

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
This all sounds very Christian of all of you.

"God helps those who help themselves". How many homeless live with you again?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Abysha

Yeah, such a great idea only as always the soft hearted compassionate souls who come up with these ideas are the last ones to actually do it. I say lead by example - Mayor Garcetti has plenty of room to build a few Homeless Havens let's see that first

It doesn't matter if the mayor does or does not participate. Nobody is making anybody do this.

Your argument would only work if you were talking about something compulsory like the draft.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I think it's a great idea!! However they should start building houses in only the largest lots and parcels of land first. Just think how many shelters and mini houses could be built on these sprawling estates. I would say the triangle mentioned in the video below would be a perfect place to start!!

What say you residents of this area? Are they willing to step up first since they own so much land?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
More insanity from the loony left coast!

L.A. TIMES

In August, the county Board of Supervisors approved a $550,000 pilot program to build a handful of small backyard houses, or upgrade illegally converted garages, for homeowners who agree to host a homeless person or family. Then in February, Bloomberg Philanthropies awarded L.A. a $100,000 Mayor's Challenge grant to study the feasibility of backyard homeless units within the city limits.

What a great way to destroy property values and turn the entire county into a slum. I'd like to propose that they should start with a pilot program. Every single City Councilman and legislator who supports this idea puts a tiny house in their backyard first and see how that works out. Oh, and we the public get to randomly select the tenant!

They never actually address the issue of why people are chronically homeless. The vast majority of homeless living on the streets are mentally unstable and/or severe drug addicts. They are on the streets because they are incapable of taking advantage of the already tons of services and homeless shelters available.

Every homeless person in my community is on the streets because they want to be there, not because there aren't services and shelters available.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Totally agree! Lead by example!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
There had been a similar attempt to push this in germany.

Where the owner of currently unrented homes and even unused floors in private homes, should have been forced to take up refugees, in exchange for rent. Because refugee centers where overfilling.

So you get paid rent but have no say who is living in your own house. Luckily they realized that the public wasn´t brainwashed as much as needed and then Cologne happened.

What a nightmare to see them live down your hard earned house. I know refugee centers, I know most give a # about what belongs to others and to treat it nice. Quiet the contrary.

"live down" = destroy

My good friend's stepmother lives in Germany. When his father passed away the government began looking at her home to force her to house refugees. She's an elderly woman living alone and she had no choice but to sell it and move into a senior living center or she was getting tenants. Now it looks like we are one step away from that here.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Must be an old dug-up Obama era FHA/HUD program

😀😁😀

edit on Apr-13-2018 by xuenchen because: 🚿

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

You make it sound mandatory. These homeowners are volunteers. This idea is genius and I hope it spreads. As long as the tenants have access to toiletries and email, this could be a stepping stone permanent solutions for most of them.

Wait What?? Access to email is a necessity???

LMFAO You can't be serious right? Wait you're left coast right.....Never mind you are serious.

Please continue.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: Abysha

Wait What?? Access to email is a necessity???

LMFAO You can't be serious right? Wait you're left coast right.....Never mind you are serious.

Please continue.

Who's going to want to house people who are trying to get back on their feet if they don't have the basic means to communicate with potential employers?

Ever try to get on your feet in any urban area without internet lately?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join