It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MMORPG's without monthly fees?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Ok I like the looks of a lot of MMORPG's. I've really wanted to get into WoW and City of Hero's and the Matrix Online. However I'm a cheapskate who's unwilling to pay a monthly fee. I want an MMORPG thats good, but after purchasing the game I don't feel like paying for a subscription. Anybody got any suggestions?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's not exactly a RPG in the traditional sense, but it's a MMO Strategic War Game, very much like Civilization.

warofconquest.com

Free, and you can MAKE money.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The only MMORPG with out fees that I have heard of is Guild Wars.
I can't tell you more about it. All I know is that it has no fees.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
The only MMORPG with out fees that I have heard of is Guild Wars.
I can't tell you more about it. All I know is that it has no fees.

I'll check that out. Also Project Entropia has no fees, just massive graphics and RAM requirements for the free DL.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I just had a look at Guild Wars. It looks pretty sweet. The graphics look nice and it looks like it has some nice features. I'm seriously considering buying it when it comes out. Maybe if enough people buy it we should have an ATS guild, kind of like the ATS Wow guild thats being formed.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Theres a WoW guild for ATS? Ill have to see if they will let riff raff like me in when i get the game.
I have just weaned myself off Star Wars Galaxies after a year of playing ( fro playing Read:Grinding )

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I guess thats what they're trying to do. Heres a link to the post;
www.belowtopsecret.com...

It would probably be easier to do a guild on Guild Wars seing as it doesn't run on different servers. Plus the site says that it has a lot of guild support, which kind of goes with the name.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I would join but my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I checked out ROSE online, and have been playing the open free beta for awhile. www.roseon.com . It's kind of cartoony, but fun in it's own way. Also, check out www.onrpg.com they have an entire site devoted to mmorpg's. Several of them are free. Look forward to partying with some people on WoW.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The Five Pillars is a free online game. It's not graphical like WoW etc.. but is really great if you like turn based strategy games. I've played alot of them, and this one is my favourite so far.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Theres a WoW guild for ATS? Ill have to see if they will let riff raff like me in when i get the game.
I have just weaned myself off Star Wars Galaxies after a year of playing ( fro playing Read:Grinding )

Havn't started it yet. We need at least 10 people on a Horde(or Alliance still kind of up in the air as only 3 people have commited so far) server in order to create a guild. Here is the thread.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

EDIT: I am playing Guild Wars, im in Beta and all I can tell you gus right now(I signed a standard NDA) is it is good. Not a replacement for World of Warcraft, but when the servers are down, heck its why I bought it
They plan on releasing episodes of the story, and each episode is supposed to be a new game into itself. It's all good, its from the original creators of Diablo and Starcraft, I have faith in the guys who built the Blizzard Empire.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 26-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
guild wars is made by the same popl who made BNet so i expect WoW qualities or else! thefivepillars is too boring. it's takes too long for you to get turns. i hate those kinds of games. wait for guild wars maybe? im gettin WoW for free so it really doesn't matter. Game cards are a good deal. it's 20$ for 60 days.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Sounds outragous to me. When I get a game that I really like, I play it for a long time. So having to continually buy cards and/or subscriptions would really add up. Thats why I'm getting so excited about Guild Wars.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Sounds outragous to me. When I get a game that I really like, I play it for a long time. So having to continually buy cards and/or subscriptions would really add up. Thats why I'm getting so excited about Guild Wars.

You're still gonna have to pay to continue the story. They plan on releasing episodes regularly(in which you will have to buy at the story or online for download for 50 bucks). That could add up too. Personally I am going to play both, and possibly check out City of Villians when that comes out. Of course if you would rather not pay a monthly fee oh well. Your loss I guess, as World of Warcraft is hands down the best MMORPG in the genres short history to date. Guild Wars is promising but if its all going to be text based then I am going to be very disappointed. They gotta have voiceovers and that is not in game yet... oops forget I said that

[edit on 4-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
not that good at wow but i am a horde

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hitman132436
not that good at wow but i am a horde

Are you into the Punting of Gnomes(Tauren) or the Smashing of Skulls(Orc) or Into the Blue SKinned Voodoo(Trolls) or last but not least are you a corpse eater(undead)? As you can see I'm a Gnome Punter, going for the championship when battlefields come out
I am an engineer to boot!

new topics

top topics

join