It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pompeo confirms 'a couple hundred' Russians killed in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   

"Secretary of State nominee Mike Pompeo pointed Thursday to the U.S. military killing “a couple hundred” Russians in Syria as evidence of the Trump administration’s toughness on Moscow.

“A handful of weeks ago, the Russians met their match. A couple hundred Russians were killed,” Pompeo told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during his confirmation hearing.

The comment from Pompeo, currently the CIA director, appears to be the first time a U.S. official has publicly confirmed that Russians were killed as part of the U.S. strike in Deir al-Zour province, and the first time an administration official has cited the incident to defend President Trump's Russia stance."

Pompeo confirms 'a couple hundred' Russians killed in Syria

This is sort of blowing my mind that this isn't bigger news, or more specifically, why wasn't this mentioned right after it happened?

No wonder tensions are rising.

I did a search and didn't find anything on ATS about it. My apologies if this was discussed.

What does ATS think? This just raised my blood pressure... I was getting worried about counter attacks for the false gas flag incident (sic) and then see this article and it looks like we've actually battled the Russians for the first time since.... ? Everything has been a proxy situation, right?

Looks like they weren't "soldiers" but mercenaries, but nonetheless, this is crazy.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Harpua

Who would "leak" this 2 weeks ago? Certainly not Putin. Most of the traitors are purged from the White House now. Mueller would have, but thank God he's too busy trying to be relevant at the moment.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

edit on 4/12/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

This was news, but also dismissed by the US and Russia both as Russian mercenaries, not Russian soldiers. It would be no different than Russia killing American mercenaries in Syria.

Mercenaries are soldiers for hire, their nation of origin doesn't matter.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Also from your article... VERY IMPORTANT.

In February, U.S. forces struck what the Pentagon described as pro-Syrian regime forces after an “unprovoked” attack on the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.

U.S. was responding to an UnProvoked Attack. That's war. If Russia is angry, it's because the retaliation strike hurt them so badly. Provoke the U.S. military, you pay big time.

That being said, we need to leave Syria. Let Putin and Assad marry each other if they want to.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, the headline and article says they're Russians.

I guess since there "just mercenaries" its not as politically harmful, because they get paid to do this work and know the risks?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

IMO, it doesn't really matter who started it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
Well, the headline and article says they're Russians.

If we are to go by headlines, we also killed Brits in Syria. Remember Mohammed Emwazi (jihadi john)? He was killed by a US drone strike.

I guess since there "just mercenaries" its not as politically harmful, because they get paid to do this work and know the risks?

Exactly.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Yea from what I gathered when this took place.. USA was defending a certain spot, oil fields maybe.. Then Russians advancing and they were met will hell fire from ground and air and were basically obliterated. I was pretty convinced this actually took place at the time, but it was a little hard to say as there weren't a lot of sources.. One source was Russian Mercenaries explaining this to aljazera or something I can't recall.. The way he described it was pretty scary.

That's a lot of people not ever going home.. But what can you really say besides.. War is hell.

It's hard to know for sure...

This was posted on ATS in February
edit on 13-4-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua

“A handful of weeks ago, the Russians met their match. A couple hundred Russians were killed,” Pompeo told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during his confirmation hearing.

Looks like they weren't "soldiers" but mercenaries, but nonetheless, this is crazy.

Why is this news?

Have never learned what the Russians are? They are ###SNIPPED###...

Si vis pacem, para bellum ...

Are the Russians preparing for war? No ... they're crouching in their hideouts, like the cowards they are. If they were preparing for war, they'd be reading their Nukes ... right now, are they? No.

Russia didn't gas Skripal, that's UK intelligense work ... the Russians "most likely" gassed underground hideouts in the Ghouda area, that was used as a secret base for UK/US operations in the area.

That was the "Russian" answer to the US killing a couple of hundred Russian soldiers.

The UK, made up the fake Skripal case, to create a CAUSUS BELLI to attack the Russians in Syria.

Trump, is the little moron whose gonna tell the Russians "no no, we're just gonna punish Assad ... just a little". And the Russians are gonna "feel" in charge, and let them ... of course, a couple of "stray" missiles will kill a couple of "more" hundreds of Russian service men ... all in an "accident" of course, which Pompeo can "brag" about later.

The Russians are stupid, and can't fight a war... and that's what the US/UK are working on.

Just watch, when the missile attack comes ... Russia isn't gonna answer. It's going to crouch about, with one of it's "oh my, it didn't really do anything". While in secret, a few hundred more Russians die in an accident ... because Russians, don't have the balls to do what they need to do.

If you aren't going to use your nukes, why are you building them at all? If you aren't going to wage a war, why are you building an army?

IF all it is, is to "show off", like Saddam Hussein ... Mr. Putin and all his staff, is going to end the same way as Ghaddaffi did ...
edit on Fri Apr 13 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: T&C

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
not surprised since the US' task is to kill everything but ISIS and djihadi extremists.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I made a thread in February thread

It didn't garner to much interest.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

This was pit out a while ago. What happened was the US and Russia had an agreement a neutral zone if you will. Well a Russian contractor supposedly sent up orders to attack the base held by rebels that have US Air support on site. The first time they were scared off. The second time they tried to sneak in under cover of darkness. They killed 300 russians through air support.

Now the reason Russia didn't make a big deal is two reasons. One these aren't really Russian contractors they are Russian military. And Russia doesn't want anyone to know the Russian military is being used to attack Syrian rebels. They want to be able to claim they are merely advising. Biggest reason is there is alot of war crimes being committed in syria and Russian forces are one of the groups doing it. The final big reason is US has not committed ground troops to the fight Russia fears if it becomes known Russian military is fighting for Assad that other countries will commit ground troops as well. Turkey has all ready done this claiming Russia sent troops to fight for Assad.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

They were Russian mercenaries akin to Blackwater.

They were involved in that attack that crossed the defacto border to separate Russian / Syrian forces and American forces.

Russia is not going to publicize the fact 100-200 russians died in an engagement with US forces.

Bad pr for Putin and most likely would have an adverse effect with the Russian people who have been told there are no Russian ground forces in Syria.
edit on 13-4-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
fox

Pompeo would eventually become president of Sentry International, a company that sold equipment for oil fields and manufacturing.

So this guy was working in a machine shop before he got this gig.

This is by his own words from yesterday.

Maybe he will get polished up and shine much.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
fox

Pompeo would eventually become president of Sentry International, a company that sold equipment for oil fields and manufacturing.

So this guy was working in a machine shop before he got this gig.

This is by his own words from yesterday.

Maybe he will get polished up and shine much.

What bearing does this have on the report????

Do you have a point or??????

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Srry i forgot

It shows that he lacks the incite to distinguish between mercenaries and active troops.

It is kinda a big deal when one reaches the top.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is the same guy that when questioned by rand paul over the ability of the sitting president to drop bombs without congress approval stated that it is cool for him to do since others done it. After paul referred to the constitution then pompeo was seen taking notes about the matter.

I suppose it is never too late too learn.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Srry i forgot

It shows that he lacks the incite to distinguish between mercenaries and active troops.

He never said active troops......

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Srry i forgot

He never said active troops......

So

That was not my point at all.

My point is that this pompeo has some days ahead of him where he will be required to learn to be more clear whan speaking of such.

Look please do not resort to childish he said she said bs.

Again my point is that he is not yet polished for the job as one in such high office should be.

Going from the floor of a machine shop to the white house is a big leap.

I do hold out hope that he will get the necessary help he needs to perform at a top level.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join