It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Vampires may have had it right!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The vampire legends may have known something that we have only now discovered. Scientists have been able to inject "young blood" into older mice and found that the older mice had a faster recovery rate and stronger muscle tone. The injected mice also had an increase in their activity levels.

www.msnbc.msn.com
LONDON - Maybe Dracula had a point. The term Young Blood — meaning an injection of youthful vigor —could have a medical origin.
Scientists at Stanford University found that wiring up an old mouse to the blood stream of a young one gave a major boost to muscle recovery time in the older one.
By contrast, when old blood was pumped round the body of a young mouse, muscle recovery time became more prolonged, they said in the science journal Nature

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was joking about the vampire connection other than maybe they knew something that we did not. But I do believe that this information can be used to help our growing older generation to receive the medical attention that they need.
At the moment, there are a number of older people in the US that Dr.'s are afraid to operate on due to concerns for the patient's health.
This may also go towards getting people to donate blood more often!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Or maybe the vampires knew this all along...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
Or maybe the vampires knew this all along...

'Cept that vampires were supposed to consume the blood which wouldn't get it into the bloodstream, and it would begin to clot. You would need to prevent the blood from hitting the plaque in your vessles which begins the clottng cascade. lol Or else vampire fangs may be citrated and the throat leads directly to their cold, dead hearts

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Very interesting perspective kenshiro.

Did you know that a Canadian biologist suggested that vampire legends arose from 'failing' aristocrats kidnapping peasants for their blood? ...People have known for a long long time that "young fresh blood" is better.

...Many private clinics in the Alps offered 'blood therapy' in the late 1800's and early 1900's, before 'cell therapy' replaced it around the 1950's.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I want some fresh blood for my body. I think I cold use some physical improvements.

Seriously though, this is an awesome breakthrough and I am sure it is only the beginning.

Can not wait to see some practical application down the road.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Very interesting perspective kenshiro.

Did you know that a Canadian biologist suggested that vampire legends arose from 'failing' aristocrats kidnapping peasants for their blood? ...People have known for a long long time that "young fresh blood" is better.

...Many private clinics in the Alps offered 'blood therapy' in the late 1800's and early 1900's, before 'cell therapy' replaced it around the 1950's.

Thanks, soficrow. I remeber there was an aristocrat that used to bloodlet young virgins and babies back in the day. I believe that her name was Countess of Deux-Forts and she was from around the 12th century.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Ezebet Bathory

Legend has it, according to historian Raymond T. McNally in Dracula was a Woman, that she slapped a servant girl, got blood on her hand, and believed that it made her skin look younger. To restore her beauty, she then made a practice of bathing in the blood of virgins and having girls lick her dry. By some accounts, she drank the blood herself.

I saw a documentary about her last week - really interesting stuff.

Also I remember something about "blood packing" during the 2002 winter olympics giving skiiers an oxygen advantage at higher altitudes. I can't remember how it works but it had something to do with red blood cells - anyone?

B.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There is a new age health therapy called modified CHELATION that is supposed to do the same thing (and more)

it is a process of completely exchanging the blood supply thru a filter and then adding certain additives (EDTA) and "blood cleaners" that help the body heal faster and give it new vitality...

unfortunatly the only clinics that offer the full blood exchange version are in Mexico or China... (and who knows where the blood comes from)

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wouldnt this point to bone marrow being the source of the human bodies vitality?

Maybe the focus should be on the reasons why young blood is different to old blood rather than just injecting the younger blood into the elderly.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Wouldnt this point to bone marrow being the source of the human bodies vitality?

Good question.

Yes, it does. Bone marrow was recognized early as the best source of new blood - and problems with the use of it helped lead to Linus Pauling's study of the immune system in 1940.

By the 1950's - researchers were recognising bone marrow stem cells.

Maybe the focus should be on the reasons why young blood is different to old blood rather than just injecting the younger blood into the elderly.

Another good observation.

Two doctors discovered "telomeres" in the late 1940's - both were affiliated with Eugenics run laboratories through Cold Spring Harbor.

Telomeres are the 'tails' on chromosomes - after a cell divides a number of times, or becomes diseased, the telomeres become shorter or disappear altogether - which is the key to understanding aging.

....The telomeres on cells from young healthy children are long, which is why their cells are "superior" - kids cells carry youth in a concrete and physical way, in the telomeres.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Also I remember something about "blood packing" during the 2002 winter olympics giving skiiers an oxygen advantage at higher altitudes. I can't remember how it works

"Blood doping" is the practice of removing and storing some of your own blood well prior to a competition. Your body then replaces the missing blood. Just before the competition, you inject the stored blood intravenously back into your body. The extra blood, with its extra blood cells, allows a better oxygen supply to the muscles. This form of cheating involves no drugs and is very hard to detect. It can be dangerous due to increased blood pressure.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well as biased as the Bible is it has some fact thats for sure.

"The Blood is the Life"
-Genesis, Something...

top topics

join