It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Seperatists Launch 38 Attacks against Ukraine

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

That's really a good resource.
Thanks

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

while the name might be manufactured the nation itself was a real nation called the Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth and it lasted over 400 years until it was partitioned to Russia, Prussia and Austria.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I live within 50 miles of a air force base in sumter SC. If we get nuked im literally ash in minutes. SIgh. and i still havent finished fallout 4. Good news is im still a virgin!

Go get laid! Pronto! There are Muslim martyrs waiting for your arrival.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

That site makes no sense. They have Juneau and Clear Station as targets while leaving Eielson and Valdez untouched. Clear is hit in their simulation near the end of the process, at which point there would be no reason to strike it. It's an early missile warning station... once the US is struck, it loses most of its strategic value. Eielson is a much more likely target thanks to the F-16 fighters and the aerial tanker units that fly out of there and Valdez is the distribution point for the Alaska Pipeline.

Regardless, this isn't happening. People are being about as rational as they were in 2007 with all of the "OMG, what if Bush refuses to leave the White House" foolishness.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I don't see it as a question of not respecting rights.

I see it as sort of a question of Provenance. Yea, Russia annexed Crimea from the Turks if memory serves correctly.
(it does: seized in 1792)
en.wikipedia.org...

After a period of Lithuanian Grand Duchy control, Hacibey (Crimea) and surroundings became part of the domain of the Ottomans in 1529 and remained there until the empire's defeat in the Russo-Turkish War of 1792.

Russia claimed Southern Ukraine under Catherine the Great. The port city of Odessa was founded by Catherine the Great! So, I think that speaks to a greater degree of Provenance for a Russian claim to Odessa.

I mean, really we could argue all this ad infininatum; you could say that the Byzantine Greeks have a greater claim to Constantinople than the Ottoman Turks do to Istanbul (which was formerly called Constantinople) because they inherited the Byzantine Empire from the Roman Empire.

Honestly I think a bit of Provenance and an examination of ethnicity and language franca for a region is of greater weight in determining where the boundaries should be drawn.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hey, I just report.......I didn't do the analysis so I can't speak to that.

Yea, in some senses it is nonsense. I kinda don't think anyone is going to launch an all out thermonuclear war for Syria or Ukraine. Too expensive. From the best "mature" analysis I read however, there has been a rethink of using tactical nukes on the battlefields.

Thats more likely and man, that IS a game changer.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Honestly I think a bit of Provenance and an examination of ethnicity and language franca for a region is of greater weight in determining where the boundaries should be drawn.

But how far should we take that back? I mean, less than 100 years ago Crimea was primarily Tatar. It was thanks to Stalin's Russification policies (read: genocide) that the area is now primarily Russian. Does the fact that Stalin was a monster of the highest order now mean that Crimea rightfully belongs to Russia?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Wasn't Catherine the Great from Germany? If I'm not mistaken, Victoria the Great was also from Germany.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

AFAIK Turkey lost to Russia in the Turkey Russia war and ceded Crimea to Russia as part of a treaty. It's pretty much the same as how America got Guam and Puerto Rico from Spain following the America Spain war.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Let'm disagree or better yet, work the compromise. Eastern and Southeastern to Southwestern Ukraine is predominantly Russian. North and Northwestern Ukraine is predominantly Ukranian. See excellent map at:
www.washingtonpost.com...

The real truth is a fiction; that fiction is that Ukraine is a country. Its a manufactured country. North and Northwest Ukraine is populated mostly by Polish people and was for many years under Polish rule while the rest of the country was Russian.

So the compromise would be to cede the Russian portion back to Russia.

Wow you must have got your education in rusia. Your wrong by the way Ukraine helped establish Russia. Suggest you look into king oleg and how Ukrainians in Kiev expans in to russia.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Let'm disagree or better yet, work the compromise. Eastern and Southeastern to Southwestern Ukraine is predominantly Russian. North and Northwestern Ukraine is predominantly Ukranian. See excellent map at:
www.washingtonpost.com...

The real truth is a fiction; that fiction is that Ukraine is a country. Its a manufactured country. North and Northwest Ukraine is populated mostly by Polish people and was for many years under Polish rule while the rest of the country was Russian.

So the compromise would be to cede the Russian portion back to Russia.

Wow you must have got your education in rusia. Your wrong by the way Ukraine helped establish Russia. Suggest you look into king oleg and how Ukrainians in Kiev expans in to russia.

Ukrainians and Russians are historically pretty close. But there's no need to kill one another because of language. 1000 years ago they all spoke the same language. Heck, 4000 years ago all white people be it Iranians or French or Germans or Russians or Swedes or Italians or English probably all speak the same proto Indo European language.
edit on 12-4-2018 by BigsJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Russia, China, the US, Israel, France... none are going to use nuclear weapons as major strategic offensive moves in any war we may or may not have on the horizon. The countries with psychopathic self professed gods or some sort of religious martyrdom afterlife blessing believed to be waiting for them are the countries who I'd worry about. The NorKs, Iran, Pakistan, etc are the countries who could try to hit a nuclear power with a nuke. For those of us in the civilized, educated world nukes are a deterrent, a guarantee against being hit (MAD), and, in certain circumstances, the final knockout blow following an extended period of direct conventional conflict.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigsJoe
Ukrainians and Russians are historically pretty close.

So close that the Russians have perpetrated horrendous crimes against the Ukrainians e.g 4 million starved under the Holodomor and the deportation of Tartars from Crimea. Since the end of the Cold War, Russia has attempted to keep Ukraine as a corrupt and dependent neighbour controlled by the Kremlin. When that plan unwound the Russians reverted to meddling and attempts to disrupt and destabilise Ukraine, including annexing Crimea.

Ukrainians don't trust Russia because their shared history has been disastrous for Ukraine.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: BigsJoe
Ukrainians and Russians are historically pretty close.

So close that the Russians have perpetrated horrendous crimes against the Ukrainians e.g 4 million starved under the Holodomor and the deportation of Tartars from Crimea. Since the end of the Cold War, Russia has attempted to keep Ukraine as a corrupt and dependent neighbour controlled by the Kremlin. When that plan unwound the Russians reverted to meddling and attempts to disrupt and destabilise Ukraine, including annexing Crimea.

Ukrainians don't trust Russia because their shared history has been disastrous for Ukraine.

That's their family business. It's like Taiwan and China are still technically at war, but they are all Chinese, it's not like it's Americans business.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hey, I just report.......I didn't do the analysis so I can't speak to that.

Yea, in some senses it is nonsense. I kinda don't think anyone is going to launch an all out thermonuclear war for Syria or Ukraine. Too expensive. From the best "mature" analysis I read however, there has been a rethink of using tactical nukes on the battlefields.

Thats more likely and man, that IS a game changer.

Fallout inspired mini nukes eh?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

originally posted by: Spacespider
Could everyone please take two steps back and think about what we are doing... I have kids, and they have no part in all this.. but they will, if ww3 is on

Yeah that's how my sons father and I feel right now as well. It's almost ironic to me that my son taught himself the Russian Alphabet and basic words at age 2 (now 3) and loves the language.....(no one in either of our families speaks it, YouTube is a weird world man) and we might die at the hands of those born speaking it. Should I chuckle at the irony one last time or is it too morbid? Also I understand that's just worst case scenario but seriously can't everyone just chill....

-Alee

I live within 50 miles of a air force base in sumter SC. If we get nuked im literally ash in minutes. SIgh. and i still havent finished fallout 4. Good news is im still a virgin!

I'm in Cincinnati which is too close to WPAFB for my comfort.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Spacespider
Could everyone please take two steps back and think about what we are doing... I have kids, and they have no part in all this.. but they will, if ww3 is on

Yeah that's how my sons father and I feel right now as well. It's almost ironic to me that my son taught himself the Russian Alphabet and basic words at age 2 (now 3) and loves the language.....(no one in either of our families speaks it, YouTube is a weird world man) and we might die at the hands of those born speaking it. Should I chuckle at the irony one last time or is it too morbid? Also I understand that's just worst case scenario but seriously can't everyone just chill....

-Alee

I'm in Cincinnati which is too close to WPAFB for my comfort.

-Alee

Well at least we will be able to fit in a ashtray afterwards.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Forget about the west being completely defeated in Ukraine. Apparently the only video video game series about Ukraine "Stalker", had a good impression on the collective imagination of Italians, even journalists.

www.occhidellaguerra.it...

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

I can't read Italian so I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think he's actually referring to Tarkovsky's masterpiece Stalker, which the games are inspired by. The movie itself was an adaptation of the book Roadside Picnic.

Interestingly, the book and movie both predate the Chernobyl disaster.
edit on 4/26/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
But that sounds like a cool novel then!

How about gas transit ending on Jan 1st 2019 ? Is there a novel for it as well ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join