It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We All Quantum Computers? Scientists Are Conducting Tests to Find Out

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Are we all quantum computers with a quantum mind? The answer is yes.

Materialist have told us for years, that Natural Selection is like magic. Give it a lot of time and it can do anything. Then quantum mechanics came along and first it was the effects of quantum mechanics can't be seen in the classical world because it's too wet and warm. This turned out not to be true and we have a growing field of Quantum Biology.

Next they tell us with 100% certainty that consciousness has nothing to do with quantum mechanics and they don't even know what consciousness is.

It's possible that our own human brains are capable of performing advanced quantum computing calculations - and now scientists are conducting a series of detailed experiments to try and find out for sure.

It's easy to think of computers and brains as similar – both process information, and make decisions, and deal with inputs and outputs. But some scientists think the incredible complexity of the brain can only be explained by quantum mechanics.

In other words, phenomena like quantum entanglement and superposition, all the knotty stuff of quantum physics, are actually regular occurrences inside our brains. Not everyone is so sure, but we might be about to get an answer either way.

"If the question of whether quantum processes take place in the brain is answered in the affirmative, it could revolutionise our understanding and treatment of brain function and human cognition," says one of the team involved in running these tests, Matt Helgeson from the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB).

www.sciencealert.com...

There's already evidence of a quantum mind when you look at things like the discovery of quantum vibrations in microtubles as predicted by Penrose and Hameroff.

The problem here is Psi. The effects would be easily explained if we have a quantum mind. Things like life after death, NDE's, ESP, psychics and twin telepathy. Quantum entanglement, non locality and superposition would make these things common occurrences.

It would be easy to see why twins who are more entangled than 2 strangers could have a stronger non local connection so when one twin breaks his arm, another twin might feel a shooting pain in the same arm even though he's miles away.

One of the upcoming experiments will try and examine whether qubits could be stored in the nuclear spins at the core of atoms, rather than the electrons surrounding them. Phosphorus atoms in particular, which our bodies are packed with, could act as biochemical qubits.

"Extremely well-isolated nuclear spins can store – and perhaps process – quantum information on human time scales of hours or longer," says one of the team, Matthew Fisher from UCSB.

Other experiments will look at the potential for decoherence, which happens when the links and dependency between qubits – the idea of quantum entanglement – start to break down. For our brains to be quantum computers, there must be a built-in way that our biological qubits are shielded from decoherence.

Yet another experiment is going to investigate mitochondria, the cell subunits responsible for our metabolism and sending messages around the body. It's possible that these organelles also play a significant role in qubit entanglement.

www.sciencealert.com...

For years, materialist have told us the brain does all of these things and consciousness and self awareness just magically emerges. This doesn't past the smell test and I'm just glad more Scientist are starting to see that there's a connection between quantum mechanics and consciousness.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Very interesting research, I was listening to a podcast earlier interviewing Dr Dean Radin about consciousness and science. He believes PSI has something to do with the mind functioning like a quantum computer. It might be worth looking at his research further and how it relates to the studies you have posted.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

No!! Easy as that. We don't have the mechanics or ideoligal behavior to come close to figuring out what other name to give life besides life for this moment in time

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The answer is yes.

No such determination has been made yet.

While these experiments have the potential to be exciting, it is important to not convince ourselves of the results before the experiments are complete.

That said, the logical inferences you make are sound. But I require data.
edit on 12 4 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Very interesting research, I was listening to a podcast earlier interviewing Dr Dean Radin about consciousness and science. He believes PSI has something to do with the mind functioning like a quantum computer. It might be worth looking at his research further and how it relates to the studies you have posted.

I have been following Dean Radin for years. His book Entangled Minds was great. He had a recent published paper that showed conscious intention can have an affect on the wave function.

This is just more evidence that points to a quantum mind. Why does conscious choice create reality down to Planck scales? This shouldn't be the case if conscious choice had nothing to to with measurements. Things like spin should exist whether we make the choice to measure it but it doesn't.

If I go into the lab and choose to measure spin, I'm bringing a spin up or spin down state into existence in that moment. It's no different than if I make the choice to buy a pop, bag of chips and come home to watch the 1st season of House of Cards again. My choice created a reality where I'm sitting on my couch, watching the 1st season of House of Cards, drinking a pop and eating chips.

With spin it gets even deeper, because spin up or spin down doesn't exist until I make the conscious choice to measure it.

edit on 12-4-2018 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

This seems logical to me.
Even photosynthesis relies on quantum phenomena.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

If you change the definition of what a computer is then anything is possible.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I think you have this completely backwards. The human mind is NOTHING like a computer. The human mind is analog NOT digital. There is no clock pulse in the human mind. Everything blends into everything else as energy floats around the brain.

Since our human mind is the only example we have of conscious self-aware intelligence then maybe analog muck that makes up our brain is a prerequisite.

And since observer and observed are intertwined at the quantum level, billions of information exchanges in the human brain are all interconnected. Even further, maybe these energy wave connections exist on a level not confined to the boundaries of our brains. Maybe ALL our conscious thoughts come directly from God:

No matter how much people hem and haw, we just do not live in a clockwork materialist Universe. The IT that decides which quantum state is realized is a cosmic mystery.

edit on 12-4-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
SatansPride correctamundo....and dfnj2015......awesome

scientisits say....

they cant figure how our minds have intersections that do 7 different functios when they want....

it's the optization....z.....ha ha....optimization of intersections that means to do our minds power science can't contain it in the known universe because of that optimization.
edit on 12-4-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I think you have this completely backwards. The human mind is NOTHING like a computer. The human mind is analog NOT digital. There is no clock pulse in the human mind. Everything blends into everything else as energy floats around the brain.

Since our human mind is the only example we have of conscious self-aware intelligence then maybe analog muck that makes up our brain is a prerequisite.

And since observer and observed are intertwined at the quantum level, billions of information exchanges in the human brain are all interconnected. Even further, maybe these energy wave connections exist on a level not confined to the boundaries of our brains. Maybe ALL our conscious thoughts come directly from God:

No matter how much people hem and haw, we just do not live in a clockwork materialist Universe. The IT that decides which quantum state is realized is a cosmic mystery.

Brain waves are used to keep the different regions of the brain in synchronisation.
en.wikipedia.org...

The brain is both digital and analog. Each neuron can fire off a spike impulse when a particular condition is met. This can be anything from recognising a face, a particular person, color, sound or smell. That's the digital part. But the timing between how often spikes are generated is analog. So that represents how strong the signal is. The stronger the signal the faster the neuron fires. It's actually an inverse logarithmic law, which allows for signals to be summed and multiplied simply by adjusting the timing (a stimulus twice as strong makes a neuron fires twice as quickly).

Because of the chemical nature of our brains, that generate electrical noise as electrons break and form bonds. But that wouldn't be able to be detected with equipment due to thermal noise in those devices. Much the same way that infra-red detectors only work when cooled close to absolute zero.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I would absolutely argue that we are quantum computers just think about the speed by which we move our body parts and without any conscious thought process, there has already been research which suggests we make determinations prior to our conscious minds actually becoming aware.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon
I would absolutely argue that we are quantum computers just think about the speed by which we move our body parts and without any conscious thought process, there has already been research which suggests we make determinations prior to our conscious minds actually becoming aware.

CPU's do that as well using a technique known as out-of-order execution. For a set of non-branching instructions, it's possible to evaluate the two future states of the CPU until the next branch, jump or condition instruction. Then one of those two outcomes can then be used when that instruction is reached. It looks like the CPU knows the future, but in really, it's working on what is known.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Are we all quantum computers with a quantum mind? The answer is yes. Materialist have told us for years, that Natural Selection is like magic. Give it a lot of time and it can do anything. Then quantum mechanics came along and first it was the effects of quantum mechanics can't be seen in the classical world because it's too wet and warm. This turned out not to be true and we have a growing field of Quantum Biology. Next they tell us with 100% certainty that consciousness has nothing to do with quantum mechanics and they don't even know what consciousness is.

But what does the question of whether our brains are making use of quantum computing principles have to do with materialism? It seems to be that our brains could be doing quantum computing, and either materialism, idealism, dualism, panpsychism, or any number of the other answers to the mind-body problem could be true or false regardless.

We have to be careful about what we conclude follows from this concept. The only big thing that follows from it to me is that if our brains were doing quantum computing, it will be a hell of a lot longer before we can fully emulate the action of one artificially, and our actual capacity to think, process, and store data is probably much higher than estimated in the past.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: joeraynor

It has everything to do with materialism. Quantum Mechanics has shown the materialist paradigm is false and local realism is dead.

Quantum physics: Death by experiment for local realism

A fundamental scientific assumption called local realism conflicts with certain predictions of quantum mechanics. Those predictions have now been verified, with none of the loopholes that have compromised earlier tests.

www.nature.com...

Quantum Field Theory tells us that there's one quantum field that can be expressed in different ways that give observers the illusion of locality. Scientist for years tried to break the universe down to chunks of matter but couldn't.

Subatomic particles should actually be called subatomic states. Using the word particles gives the wrong impression. People hear particles and they think of particles of sand or particles of salt. Material particles can't be in a state of superposition or entanglement.

QFT treats particles as excited states of an underlying field, so these are called field quanta. In quantum field theory, quantum mechanical interactions among particles are described by interaction terms among the corresponding underlying quantum fields. These interactions are conveniently visualized by Feynman diagrams, which are a formal tool of relativistically covariant perturbation theory, serving to evaluate particle processes.

en.wikipedia.org...

So subatomic states can either be a wave or a particle and the particle aspects gives us the illusion of separation because we can't see the quantum wave state in it's totality from our limited 3D perspective. We can only measure one aspect from moment to moment.

Some people are still stuck in Plato's Cave and they think these moments are objective reality. They're not. They're just states of the underlying quantum field that we can measure at that moment from our limited 3D perspective.

It's like if you get a box with a barrier down the middle. You can only see one half of the box at a time, so you would be uncertain about what's on the other side of the box. The entire box exists but from your perspective you can't see both sides at one moment, just one side or the other from your perspective.

In this case, the wave would be the entire box that obscures the underlying quantum field from us because our brains can't measure it in it's entirety. We can only measure a subatomic particle state at a time.

A Quantum Mind destroys any notion of materialism as some sort of objective reality. Psi effects have been well documented via experiments and published papers. These effects destroy materialism and that's why materialist have been fighting against QM and it's connection to consciousness for years but eventually reason kicks in and more and more Scientist are saying we can't bury our heads in the sand anymore, click our heels and say,"No Quantum, No Consciousness."

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Am i the only one thinking about astr0 after reading this?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: samuelsson

I have no idea what astr0 is.

edit on 14-4-2018 by Deluxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
Your definition of computer is the one that is wrong in this context, but you can be forgiven for this because nearly all references are wrong too. Most describe a ‘programmable digital computer’.

A computer takes an input, processes the information and produces an output. It doesn’t have to be analog or digital or even electronic.

With the common definition, analog computers, which were used as supercomputers in the past and quantum computers, which are just nearing practical applications, wouldn’t be computers either.

columbia university

edit on 21/4/2018 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
With the current state of technology, it's incredibly hard to determine the quantum effects of the brain. However, we can do various types of analysis to determine how the brain is organized and how it might do calculations:
Multi-dimensional Thinking

Ignore the hype about 11 dimensions. The real research points out that "cliques" can model greater than 3 dimensions, not that they do. These cliques are all over the brain. It doesn't actually imply that our brain does higher dimensional calculations, but rather that we don't know.

We also know that modern neural networks (from computer science) do a decent job of modeling how the brain's neural connections work (although computers have a more primitive form of it--human brains have many more neural connections).

Finally, we know that there are wireless systems in the brain, which is a newer area of research:
Wired and Wireless Components of the Brain

The "wireless" parts seem to be chemical signaling that has an "area of effect", rather than the traditional wired networks in the brain--but these wireless signals are also much slower, by comparison. I've heard more recent research on this, but I can't find the link for it.

As an aside, we have found one of the sources of consciousness, although I rather refer to it as "stream of thought". If scientists continue to find the sources of these "mysteries", such as consciousness, then fringe research on quantum effects might become less relevant. Hard to say.
On/Off Switch for Human Consciousness

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I want to clarify a few things.

Yes, the brain has quantum phenomena, because all things with atoms exhibit quantum phenomena.

However, is the brain a quantum computer? I assume not, but I'm open to the possibility. On a conscious level, consider that we aren't very good at picking out patterns in wave functions (electrical engineers use elaborate tools to help them). This is a trivially easy task for a quantum computer. As humans, we don't display any of the advantages that we see in quantum computers. While this doesn't exclude the idea of us having internal quantum calculations, it does make me wonder what the "evolved advantage" would be to having this.

Also, we know a quantum computer to be entangled cubits that can receive an input, compute a solution, multiple times, and return the most common results of those runs, while ignoring error. Random quantum effects in atoms are not this organized. We'd have to find a computer-like network of quantum effects to actually think of ourselves as quantum computers. I have no problem with scientists looking for possible structures that conform to this.

Generically, I'm interested in Quantum Biology, because, statistically, quantum effect will result in certain physical characteristics. This could include copy errors appearing along strands of DNA because molecules were unable to bind correctly. Or it may alter the way some proteins fold, for good or for bad. But that being said, I believe a "quantum computer" inside the body would basically be a "quantum organ" or "quantum cell". That implies the human body would have "evolved" quantum mechanical properties, along with physical matter. Not impossible, but definitely a tall order.

As neoholographic pointed out, you might get quantum effects in microtubules (probably an ideal structure for quantum events), but microtubules are mostly involved in structure and transportation. Quantum effects in structural components might lead to weaknesses, not advantages, and certainly not computation.

The best we can currently do is model some basic atomic structures and test their likelihood for quantum interactions. We don't have some Star Trek brain scanner where we can detect quantum fluctuations. I hope we get there, some day soon.

To point out some issues with the article, it even admits that quantum computers require extremely cold temperatures to preserve quantum entanglement. Cold temperatures also reduce chaos in a system, as heat causes havoc by its very nature. Also, the article mentions mitochondria (the place where energy is largely produced) as some sort of intercellular network for quantum phenomena. That seems counter-intuitive, as there is virtual no chance that quantum entanglement would happen between cells (linking the mitochondria). The fast-moving, polarized nature of water molecules, which everything is bathed in, would act as a significant barrier to this, along with all of the other proteins, lipids, etc, inside the cells.

And finally, let's ask a bigger, less detailed question. Can our brains interact with "waves"? Generically, our brains do produce detectable waves. These waves are electromagnetic in nature. And, maybe our brains do have a natural way of processing waves that we have not discovered. This may not be "quantum" in nature, but it might mimic some of the effects we would see with a quantum computer, on a more macro scale (by comparison). So, instead of requiring some sort of highly specialized quantum organ, we instead have a vast network of electromagnetic "knobs" that allow us to modify the signal waves in our brains. So far, we see this system (our brains) as being electro-chemical, but maybe it's slightly more complicated than our current models.

So, in summary, I think the likelihood of quantum computing in the brain is very low. The likelihood of some higher dimensional calculations through our brain's clique networks (from my last post) is possible, but unproven. And there is a possibility that our brains operate on a few more axes, beyond the standard neuronal network and the "wireless" chemical network... giving the possibility that our brains do manipulate the "waves" being produced in more complex ways than we currently detect. Still, "quantum brains" are mythical food for quantum zombies.
edit on 2018-4-30 by Protector because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join