It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Possible Perils of Legal Marijunana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
SNIP

I'm sure Boehners new position is being discussed already, but I wanted to kick out there a broader theory that perhaps the Government (and former govt) as well as corporations are coming around now, not just because of the money, but because it's an organic crop with no regulations in place stopping them from spraying whatever chemicals they want on the cannabis farms / greenhouses. All in the name of safety.

No matter which side of the aisle your allegiance lays, let's not pretend our Governments haven't done this in the past. I know there are states having this fight right now with organic growers protesting the gov pot being sprayed.

It'd be easy to say the black market pot might end up being the saving grace from gov pot. But I would bet most of the pot the black market has is gov. I know there would obviously be plenty of underground growers out there, but they're not going to keep up with the output the gov has. Gov weed would flood the market. The gov and it's subsidiaries have much larger advertising pockets as well.
edit on 11-4-2018 by MrPlow because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/12/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: airing dirty laundry

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The only downside are the poor small time growers trying to make a profit. That and the fact that cities are banning growing altogether left and right here in California.

Sad that once it becomes legal they automatically create local laws banning the cultivation sale and use. Even for medical patients.
edit on 11-4-2018 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

SNIPPED

Thanks. Never going to get that out of my head now.

What were we talking about?? OH, yea...pots!

I think most folks simply want to grow their own or manage varied pain without having to used prescribed (or not) opiates. The tax incentives seem to be a concession so folks don't have to live under the shadow of being a criminal for smoking a )(##) plant.
edit on Thu Apr 12 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I want to know why americans became weaker than s# for their HUMAN RIGHTS IN NATURE.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
No, none of the black market pot is Gov grown. I'ts closet/basement grown, or flows over from legal states.

You don't just spray pesticides on crops, it will be flavored and noticeable immediately.

It needs to be legal, with no regulation. That can be the least they can do for the lives they have destroyed with MJ laws.

The gov was designed to make sure everyone could be successful, not this perverted picking of winners BS that is going on now.

All out legalization, with normal income tax rates is fair, well if taxes are fair.

I've watched the kids who didn't get busted growing go out to Colorado to make millions, and they were actual non taxpaying sellers.

I couldn't get a permit now if I wanted and can't get a fn job at Micky d's.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'd just like to grow a few plants without having my door kicked in.
I don't have any interest in turning a profit.
It has a beautiful smell when in bloom.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Why would the govt bother with weed?

There's more addictive and more profitable drugs to worry about.
Not that I'm saying weed's addictive.

I've been smoking for decades and I'm not addicted

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I am an advocate for this idea but the smell of a growing plant doesn’t appeal to me. But that is just my take on it. When I was younger my friends and I kept throwing our seeds next to my friends AC and two months later a beautiful plant started growing. We let it grow for a bit but man it tarted to stink. Then about4-6 months in we decided to “groom” it and hang the bits in a closet. During the curing time we had a party and the cops got called and they found the ones curing in the closet, Odly they never went in the backyard where they would have found the plants lol. I am pretty sure they knew what was up but figured they wouldn’t pursue it any further knowing they already scared the poop out of us.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Look at tax revenue Colorado has brought in since legalization.

This currently has many bean counters SALIVATING.

Calendar Year_____Total Revenue
2014______________$67,594,323
2015_____________$130,411,173
2016_____________$193,604,810
2017_____________$247,368,473
2018 (Jan - Mar)____$63,688,122

MARIJUANA TAX DATA - COLORADO

This is not unique to the state.

Washington state collected a total of $319 million in legal marijuana income and license fees in fiscal year 2017

Washington Marijuana Revenues
edit on 11-4-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
A large issue that's looming now, such as in Wash. state for example, is that the bigger companies are taking over the growing market. Where it was more fair before hand. Well, another peril was happening before legalization, such as why some didn't support it being legal. This is the issue of DUIs having the possibility of being issued for medicinal patients who rely on cannabis to function for work.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

DAMN!!!!

I had no idea it was that profitable just with taxes.
Although I still stand by my point, I've never heard of a CIA plane carrying kilo's of weed.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrPlow
[snipped]

I'm sure Boehners new position is being discussed already, but I wanted to kick out there a broader theory that perhaps the Government (and former govt) as well as corporations are coming around now, not just because of the money, but because it's an organic crop with no regulations in place stopping them from spraying whatever chemicals they want on the cannabis farms / greenhouses. All in the name of safety.

No matter which side of the aisle your allegiance lays, let's not pretend our Governments haven't done this in the past. I know there are states having this fight right now with organic growers protesting the gov pot being sprayed.

It'd be easy to say the black market pot might end up being the saving grace from gov pot. But I would bet most of the pot the black market has is gov. I know there would obviously be plenty of underground growers out there, but they're not going to keep up with the output the gov has. Gov weed would flood the market. The gov and it's subsidiaries have much larger advertising pockets as well.

They have to legalise cannibis because when the economy goes cashless, technically they will be able to trace all the people involved in the growing and distribution of the stuff which should very quickly lead to the identification of the industry controllers but they cant have that can they?

So, what you are seeing now is that they are allowing what is now the illegal drug trade, to become legal. They are also allowing it be controlled by a cartel by restricting the right to grow this stuff to a small handful of corporations to join the "big pharma club".

The companies will be given the right to grow and cultivate these drugs for "research purposes"

This arrangement enables the same people to still control the drug trade but through a handful of companies. It also continues to prevent the consumers growing their own.

A nice forseeable and predictable arrangement for corporate America.

edit on Thu Apr 12 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
No, none of the black market pot is Gov grown. I'ts closet/basement grown, or flows over from legal states.

None? Wrong. In fact, MOST of the pot in the U.S. is government grown or grown by an approved (by the government) grower and is coming from legal states. You can get independently grown clean weed from local growers, sure, but again- These growers will never be able to keep up with the output of a government flush with revenue.

You don't just spray pesticides on crops, it will be flavored and noticeable immediately.

Do you really think so? Can you taste the pesticides on your produce? I guarantee you're not thoroughly washing it off completely.

It needs to be legal, with no regulation. That can be the least they can do for the lives they have destroyed with MJ laws.

Agreed, however, you know this will never happen. Once the government takes control of the market, and they will- they have a duty to make sure what they're putting on the market is "safe" (their definition of safe) and they have a duty to protect their crops.

edit on 12-4-2018 by MrPlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

This thread doesn't make any sense. The answer to unknown chemicals being sprayed on pot plants while they are growing is government regulation. Black market pot isn't going to be inherently safer than regulated pot. It will be less safe because no one is telling black market growers what they can and can't spray on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
As far as i'm concerned until I can grow a bunch of marijuana plants in my house or yard and do what I like with them it's not legal. I dont care where I can buy it or if there's government stores. It's a #ing plant, if I cant make a garden out of it then Meh.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This thread doesn't make any sense. The answer to unknown chemicals being sprayed on pot plants while they are growing is government regulation. Black market pot isn't going to be inherently safer than regulated pot. It will be less safe because no one is telling black market growers what they can and can't spray on it.

Really?
Which Federal Government regulations in the U.S. keeps Monsanto from spraying crops? Wheat, corn, etc...
Unless you're not a citizen of the U.S. or you just haven't been paying attention, the answer is: none.
In fact, places like Monsanto have the full blessing of our Federal Government to do what they want. Only one or two states in this country have partially attempted to fight them.
Rolling Stone ran a story recently about a movement on the west coast for clean weed. A group of growers and money people trying to get away from Government grown and heavily sprayed weed. They're setting up small farms with strict, self-imposed regulations in place that steer clear of any kinds of pesticides that are not organic.
edit on 12-4-2018 by MrPlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

What chemicals are Monsanto using that are dangerous? Can you even name them?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Well...

There's glyphosate, propanil, dicamba, the genetically modified terminator seeds they use.which readily cross with other farmers crops and destroy generations of breeding. These are just a few...

They've destroyed hundreds of heirloom varieties of plants we will never see again. Varieties of corn, wheat and other grain staples that existed for hundreds of years no longer exist because of Monsanto...# monsanto
edit on 12/4/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Well...

There's glyphosate, propanil, dicamba, the genetically modified terminator seeds they use.which readily cross with other farmers crops and destroy generations of breeding. These are just a few...

They've destroyed hundreds of heirloom varieties of plants we will never see again. Varieties of corn, wheat and other grain staples that existed for hundreds of years no longer exist because of Monsanto...# monsanto

Ok so, scientifically, how are organic pesticides better than inorganic ones?

One more thing, regardless of what Monsanto is spraying on their crops, black market crops are STILL over all more dangerous than regulated crops because black market farmers can and will use banned pesticides to save a buck. Saying you'd trust the black market over the regulated market is like trusting bathtub gin from the 1930''s over legal alcohol you can buy at a store.

Trusting the black market over a regulated market is a terrible idea. People need to get it out of their heads that regulation == bad. Regulations exist to protect us.
edit on 12-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Well...

Ok so, scientifically, how are organic pesticides better than inorganic ones?

One more thing, regardless of what Monsanto is spraying on their crops, black market crops are STILL over all more dangerous than regulated crops because black market farmers can and will use banned pesticides to save a buck. Saying you'd trust the black market over the regulated market is like trusting bathtub gin from the 1930''s over legal alcohol you can buy at a store.

Trusting the black market over a regulated market is a terrible idea. People need to get it out of their heads that regulation == bad. Regulations exist to protect us.

Personally, im against regulations at all for marijuana plants unless it's for something sold in a store.

But that point shouldn't matter I should be able to grow them.in my yard and not worry about what anyone.puts in it. I dont worry about tomatoes or other.vegetables that come from my yard or honestly anyone else I know that grows.vegetables but I sure do worry what's on the ones they sell at the store imported from #ing Mexico.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join