It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Boehner was a longtime opponent of marijuana reform. Here’s what changed his mind.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Link to source

John A. Boehner, the former Republican speaker of the House who once said he was “unalterably opposed” to decriminalizing marijuana laws, has joined a board of directors for a cannabis company with an eye on rolling back federal regulations. The former Ohio congressman has been appointed to the board of advisers of Acreage Holdings, invoking the need for veterans to access the drug legally to explain his change of heart, Boehner said in a statement Wednesday. The company grows and sells legal weed and operates in 11 states. Boehner’s acceptance of marijuana tracks with evolving beliefs about the drug and its uses among Americans and even Republican lawmakers, Erik Altieri, executive director for the Washington-based marijuana advocacy group NORML, told The Washington Post.

This certainly is a change to the change. key GOP figures actually doing the research and finding the facts about this schedule 1 drug.
I wonder what this will mean to the attitude Sessions seems to be displaying?

I think a new tide is turning here, and this may in fact be the real change to the legislation needed to right this wrong. I can't help but think that proper control of this drug would make more sense and end up being safer for kids overall. Time will tell, but I can honestly say I never thought I would see the day it was legalized across the board. Smoke em if you got em..........maybe someday.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So what your saying is...his mind has been changed by being elected to the board of a company that surely profits from selling legal weed and now he is all for it. Not that I am not happy that he at least has a better opinion of something that never should have been illegal in the first place...but the fact he is for it now that it personally profits him shows the motivation of most politicians...whatever fills their pockets with bucks the best is what they support.
edit on 11-4-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Something tells me that $ had more to do with his “change of heart” than research.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yea, that part wasn't lost on me, but he sees the writing on the wall and being the poor, servant of the people he is, making a few extra bucks is just a way for him to be sure he can afford his house payment this month. Give a guy a break.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is what happens when someone considers the evidence rather than the rhetoric.

I just wish we could do the same for the overall war on drugs, the rampant scientific denialism in the US, immigration(both legal and illegal), gun rights, and many other areas.

Can't get anywhere ignoring reality.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: RickyD
Give a guy a break.

Oh yeah. I can see it. He was sitting in his office, crying (as he's prone to do) while reading about how hard the veterans have it (screw the rest of us though...veterans are more equal), and just had an epiphany.

An epiphany with a couple extra zero's after it.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I hope your right. My VA doctor said his buddy who is a sheriff at a seaside resort town said that he has never had to go out to break up a fight between two people smoking pot.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rjbaggins

Yup, I never understood the animosity over it. I get it's illegal, but damn, folks getting into floyd, or enjoying America's Funniest home videos more than they normally would, just doesn't seem like a dangerous bunch. Or so I've heard.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

A few years back I needed to meet with a rep of his so I called his office. I don’t like the dude but his people had to meet with me. When I called I purposely called him boner lol

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rjbaggins
I hope your right. My VA doctor said his buddy who is a sheriff at a seaside resort town said that he has never had to go out to break up a fight between two people smoking pot.

I've seen plenty of people get aggressive and angry from marijuana, particularly some of those high-THC sativas. Particularly if you try to take it away from them.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I am a disabled vet and won't comment about your feelings regarding disabled veterans except to say that I'm from a place where pot is legal and I can't smoke it because the Federal Govt says it isn't and my VA doctor said if I used it I would be taken off my medication.Unfortunately for me, pot doesn't help it. It did give me a better attitude though.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

i dont buy it
how do you know the aggression was from the smoke?

and i dont give a # why he changed his mind. just glad it changed

for me the reason is not as important as the result and the result is legalization

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I'll type You right here and now as a medically retired cop who worked in what is commonly called a "ghetto". I did however work one Thanksgiving 'Drink Shift' 1200-2200 w/a bar right across the street from the PD (plus; especially for a "boozer" which I am) I got a call of a 'family fight' as I get closer to the address I see a guy running down the street w/a big knife protruding from the back of the right shoulder so I do what any 'smart beat cop' would do I pull up along side the guy running and say "Sir, You wouldn't be coming from a family fight would You?.." and He glances down and as He is running, metered shots of blood are squirting out, He says "It is My brother He is going to kill Me..." So I pull ahead and get this guy to stop. Moments later, here comes "Cain" and He says "He (pointing at 'Abel') drank the last 2 beers, smoked the last 3 rocks and then grabbed the turkey leg, no way, NO HOW!!!...

How much $$$ changed Mr. Boehner's mind?

Maybe He got confused when "Green Fees" were mentioned?

Remember when I typed "I'm a boozer"? It is that I choose NOT to drink, You know why? Cannabis.

Stay Hydrated....

Proud Member of LEAP Law Enforcement Action Partnership

P.S. If I either make it to this year's LEAP Conference or take a OMBudsman Holiday, I'll poke around the LEGAL Cannabis arena and see if Mr. Boehner's heart is in the right chakra

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I've seen plenty of people get aggressive and angry from marijuana, particularly some of those high-THC sativas. Particularly if you try to take it away from them.

Never heard of that happening. Did you try to take it from them at gunpoint?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Never heard of that happening. Did you try to take it from them at gunpoint?

you never heard of it happening because it doesnt happen.

like when a person gets hit by a car or some dumb # and they have thc in their system... must have got wiped out cause they were stoned right?

people dont get aggressive from grass.
not buying it

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

One time I watched a guy eat the faces of 13 people then free climb the sears tower and jump off and survive. He then ran to the US Mexico border full sprint and made it across. As soon as he made it to Mexico he single handily took on three cartels at the same time and won. Craziest thing I have ever seen!

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Why would you try to take somebody's property? I'd think anyone would react in a violent way to that.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: TinySickTears

One time I watched a guy eat the faces of 13 people then free climb the sears tower and jump off and survive. He then ran to the US Mexico border full sprint and made it across. As soon as he made it to Mexico he single handily took on three cartels at the same time and won. Craziest thing I have ever seen!

well, weed does cause that to happen

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

That is the wildest story I heard. Sorry to hear you got medically retired. The crack smokers around where I live you can't even talk to because they make no sense. At least you understood why they were fighting. I wouldn't take their turkey legs from them. Good advice.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

That was 'synthetic marihuana' "Bath Salts" on the face munching.. That crap has more similarity w/Industrial Hemp than Cannabis. Wouldn't get a fly high, stealing Your brain cells isn't the same trip...

I don't know where Mr. Amslinger II got His propaganda this century but...

It should also be noted:: Every time I made an arrest for Controlled Substances, and that person had Cannabis, they used it medicinally; that is to "come down" OFF OF the poisons they just used. The Cranksters would steal more of Your gear if it wasn't for Cannabis, believe that! That 4th or 5th day w/out sleep is when the human mind really starts to bend..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join