It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek reelection, he tells friends and colleagues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
House Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek reelection, he tells friends and colleagues
Breaking this morning. House Speaker Paul Ryan won't be seeking reelection this year. I guess the toll of the Trump Republicanism is taking its toll on him. He got his beloved tax cut now he wants to cut and run. Though I'm not surprised with how hard he tries to avoid commenting on Trump's antics.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) has told friends and several colleagues that he has decided not to seek reelection this year and will soon inform colleagues of his plans, according to several people familiar with his plans.

The decision comes ahead of mid-term elections that were already looking treacherous for Republicans, who risk losing control of the House.

The party has seen a large number of retirements, and Ryan’s exit is certain to sap morale as Republicans seek to contain a surge in enthusiasm from Democrats, whose fortunes have been buoyed by the unpopularity of President Trump.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I bet he is preparing for a Primary challenge against President Pence.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Paul not seeking relection is a good thing. He was never supportive of the POTUS and has stated as such.

This is a damn good thing.

As for the midterms, liberals in general was SO wrong about the Presidential elections, that any musing involving midterms are simply dismissed. Own it.

The OP, to include the article, are liberal news rags. So be extra mindful of ITS language and avoid the leftist feed folks.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

You can't honestly think that the wave that got Trump into office is never going to break do you?

PS: WaPo being my source pissing you off makes me happy.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Was Ryan ever a true Conservative?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good. Good riddance.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

No..

No he isn't.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

The Left have good reason to be optimistic. In every special election since Trump has been elected they have over performed. On top of that voter enthusiasm has been much higher among Democrats than Republicans.

For example, in this last special election the Dems over performed by 22 points. On top of that the Democrats' candidate was able retain 80% of the votes that Hillary got while the Republican was only able to retain 53% of the votes Trump got.

And this election was not a special case. This is a pattern we're seeing in every special election. There's no reason to think this won't continue in to the midterms.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You can't honestly think that the wave that got Trump into office is never going to break do you?

PS: WaPo being my source pissing you off makes me happy.

Dude, this attitude of yours is part of the problem we have today in this country.

We should be going after ALL of these corrupt politicians and beauracrats, NOT one another. Go after them, not one another. Think of the power We the People would have if we would point our anger at them instead of each other. We have no power to change things right now, because "Yay! I made you unhappy by using a source you don't like." Ridiculous! You're playing right into their crooked hands.
edit on 11-4-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I am thinking about the power we have. I'm counting down the days until Nov 6th and we can elect a true check on Trump's Presidency since the clowns currently in office have all had their spines removed by Trump.
edit on 11-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Good God, that excuse of a man has the brownest nose I've ever seen! It's literally nauseating to listen to him speak.

Ryan is about to go on TV to make the announcement. Rest assured that what ever reason he gives is a lie.
If he wants to save himself politically, it's too late. Like all the others. Every life Trump touches turns to #.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Ryan won't be missed, but it's ok if the Dems take the elections and get a majority.
Trump has a pen and a phone too. He can just veto anything the Dems come out with and issue EOs, right?
You guys wouldn't have a problem with him using those to push his own agenda... Right?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Nope. He's fought Trump every step of the way. Good bye, Paul. We won't miss you.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The Left have good reason to be optimistic. In every special election since Trump has been elected they have over performed. On top of that voter enthusiasm has been much higher among Democrats than Republicans.

For example, in this last special election the Dems over performed by 22 points. On top of that the Democrats' candidate was able retain 80% of the votes that Hillary got while the Republican was only able to retain 53% of the votes Trump got.

And this election was not a special case. This is a pattern we're seeing in every special election. There's no reason to think this won't continue in to the midterms.

LOL. I presume you're talking about the election in Pennsylvania? The Democrat was more conservative than the Republican. He took great pains to avoid trashing Trump, and repeatedly said he was opposed to gun control.

We need more Democrats like him.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

He's already governing that way, though Trump is also a good study in what happens to policies like that once he leaves office.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
"House Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek reelection, he tells friends and colleagues"

'Kay.

Bye.

*shrugs*

link   
Wow. The Republican Senator, Charlie Dent, from Pennsylvania just said the job is exhausting because "it's not about ideals and principles, it's about loyalty to a man".

Wow.

link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

Nope. He's fought Trump every step of the way. Good bye, Paul. We won't miss you.

Gotta love the tired argument that because the person isn't an unquestioning sycophant that makes them not a conservative. Ryan is VERY much a conservative. Those tax cuts were his brain child, and y'all cheered them relentlessly.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

You can try to explain it anyway you want. The fact remains that, regardless of the candidate, the Democrats are outperforming the Republicans in every special election.

There's also cases like Virginia where the Dems made massive gains. The only reason they don't control the House of Delegates today is because it was decided that one of the races would be determined by a coin toss.

You guys can ignore it all you want but the numbers show that the Dems look to have a strong showing in the midterms.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Actually, most of us don't care about the tax cuts all that much.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join