It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAS drives " inaccessible " please help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
hi - i has 2 NAS drives on my home network

and i cannot access the file tree for either

both are buffalo [ one link station single drive , one terrastation raid 5 ]

yes - both are switched on and connected via good cables

they both respond to MOST of the commands from the buffalo NAS navigator // client utility

but will not show thier files // folders tree

i suspect its some idiocy in windows 10 thats " blocking " them

HELP ?????????????????

screenshot :

" broswe shares " does nothing

MMOST other commands get correct or limited response

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Have you tried turning your Firewall off?

The other option is Simply changing the network location to private, as Windows 10 sometimes changes it to public for no reason which means you wont be able to locate files

edit on 11-4-2018 by Briles1207 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Standard procedure is to reboot PC, and if possible reboot the NAS drives(probably those first before PC reboot).

Rebooting fixes most problems like these, for the NAS drives, do a soft reboot(do not unplug or flip off main power switch) by pressing their power buttons on front of the device(if present, if not might have to do as mentioned above).

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Have you rebooted?

I have to ask.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Seeing that you can contact them to some point shows the network link is fine and for two units to die at the same time is pretty rare to say the least.

My goto at this point would be a linux usb drive and boot to that and see if that works (check for anthing required to be installed from the NAS site first) and if everything looks ok then you know the drives are OK and thus we're looking at windows and how it chats with the drives and quite often if you read the NAS forums someone else will of had something similar and worked it out.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

You can access them web ui and see the files there from the device, but not over the network?

It is configured as shares for sure, and not configured as an iscsi lun, where you might need to kick off the iscsi initiator?

Might be a windows issue. Maybe a patch for server message blocks. Or could be a firewall issue (windows or network hardware, or antivirus) TCP 445, or if by netbios name (udp) 137, 138, 139.

If you have stored creds for shares in windows key ring you might try removing them and authenticating by IP (clear creds again), and then by Hostname of the device to see if one works but not the other. That may tell you which ports are blocked, if any.
edit on 11-4-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Briles1207
Have you tried turning your Firewall off?

The other option is Simply changing the network location to private, as Windows 10 sometimes changes it to public for no reason which means you wont be able to locate files

This is true. If the connection is marked as public the firewall is much more strict. Stupid NLA. You'd think rfc1918 would be enough to identify public vs private networks, and whether the computer is a member of a domain, but I suppose with all the hotspots around town private addressing is technically used in publicly accessible networks where you may not want to open your computer up to the wrong nerd sitting at Starbucks all night. Microsoft has a long history of struggling with drawing a line between security and accessibility. I think NLA doesn't solve any more problems than it creates.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

no - using the web interface [ copy // paste IP address into browser ] - i still cannot see the file tree // folders

but i can see all the " control panel " for both devices

new topics

top topics

join