It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen turns down plea deal for 25 years in prison, gets 65 years instead

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zelun

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: TzarChasm
you open fire on law enforcement, you have lost your right to a fair anything.

What? I support fair trial by jury, and each individual charged with their own crimes, not the crimes of others if they were not in conspiracy.

What?! The five CONSPIRED to rob some houses and in doing so exchanged gunfire with law enforcement. The defendant smiled after having been sentenced. He should have taken the plea. What an a$$hole.

Sorry, but I still support individuals only being charged with their own crimes, not the associated crimes of their mates, and certainly not because their mate got shot dead as they were up to no good together.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

you open fire on law enforcement, you have lost your right to a fair anything.

What? I support fair trial by jury, and each individual charged with their own crimes, not the crimes of others if they were not in conspiracy.

no conspiracy. if the thug didnt want someone to die, he shouldnt have discharged his weapon.

Did you read the OP? Smith the 15 year old did not shoot anyone.

you are right, my bad. still if you dont want to go to prison, dont get involved in an armed conflict.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Okay, but you said it doesn't happen in the UK.

If the CPS has an entire procedure written about when prosecutors can agree to a guilty plea for a lesser charge, then I presume it happens in the UK. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Okay, but you said it doesn't happen in the UK.

If the CPS has an entire procedure written about when prosecutors can agree to a guilty plea for a lesser charge, then I presume it happens in the UK. That's all I'm saying.

You are correct, I think I dismissed it as a thing because it isn't common like it seems to be in the US, apologies.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I understand your sensibilities, I really do. In this case, however, the kid had a chance to receive a lower sentence and turned his nose up at it. He potentially could have received 25 years, potential for parole at 10 or whatever, but instead decided "# the police!" "I'll roll the dice." Dumb, dumb move, and I feel sorry for his lawyer for having to put up with his bull$hit.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I understand your sensibilities, I really do. In this case, however, the kid had a chance to receive a lower sentence and turned his nose up at it. He potentially could have received 25 years, potential for parole at 10 or whatever, but instead decided "# the police!" "I'll roll the dice." Dumb, dumb move, and I feel sorry for his lawyer for having to put up with his bull$hit.

Lol yes, as we'd say in these parts...what a knob

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I get it. While I hope he escapes from the 65 years I do hope he does so after serving 30 years more or less.

He messed up and deserves bad things to happen to him. I just dont think it makes sense for him to get 65 years while other crimes go almost unpunished by comparison.

edit on 4 10 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Here's the honest truth. He's expecting to go into the system, receive some valuable education on how to be a better criminal, come out on good behavior, and get "made" because he "didn't snitch" or whatever the # bullsnip he thinks matters. When actually, he just took the fall for another a$$hole who shot at cops during the commission of a crime. A crime which effects actual people. Actual people in society. See, the fundamental premise of his philosophy is that they don't deserve ownership of the stuff they buy because they are weak. But he's not weak, he's a predator. # that guy.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I assume that this is just the beginning of years and years of expensive appeals clogging up the Court system.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

Your punishment is way harsher than the UK, do you think it is more effective at preventing crime or not?

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I disagree with the law completely...

There is a mile of difference between crimes where violence is planned and ones where only theft is planned..

The whole thing is just insane to me..

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Here's the honest truth. He's expecting to go into the system, receive some valuable education on how to be a better criminal, come out on good behavior, and get "made" because he "didn't snitch" or whatever the # bullsnip he thinks matters. .

hilarious

hahahahaha

i doubt he is 'expecting' it. get 'made'?? hhahahaahah

you must watch a lot of movies.

gonna get made by yuz guyz..
fugedda boutit

the more i read yourpost the more i have to lol lol

so this dumb# teen is playing the long game?

when im 45 if im lucky ill be out and ill get made

hahahah
edit on 10-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I think there is an epidemic of glorification of criminal culture in the US, which has been spurned on by, in a small way popular media, some of the best of which comes from the UK, but in a large way by "# the police" tropes and overblown rhetoric regarding "racist" cops targeting black people. YES! Some cops are racist! They represent a TINY minority of cops! Here's an idea: stop committing crimes, or at the very least, stop shooting at the cops who are trying to stop you from committing crimes. YES horrible things happen where black dudes holding a cellphone get shot by cops. It's anecdotal, and yes, awareness of this kind of thing is in the public consciousness. For good reasons. The leap in reasoning is that "cops are out to get black people in prisons." That is just nonsense, but that is the subtext of the "# the police" trope. And THIS kid thinks he's some sort of martyr for receiving a 65-year sentence after his CO-CONSPIRATOR shot at cops and got smoked. No remorse. He thinks, somehow, his personal actions are overshadowed by a perceived injustice. Well # your perception, I say. Listen to your lawyer, take the deal.

You know what the saddest part of all of this is? Before I ask it, is this a sort of relativistic discussion about sentencing in the US? Because if so, I don't know whether long prison terms are better or not. I'm not a philosopher, nor a lawyer, nor a satirist. I'm a homeowner and a law-abiding citizen of the USA. A taxpayer, if you will. And I want laws enforced, by jove. We have mechanisms for changing laws written into our Constitution, as I'm sure you also do with whatever Articles of Parliament or whatever it's called over there. That doesn't give citizens license to interpret the law like it isn't relevant to them. It's a social contract. Implied consent is, well, implied.

So the saddest part is that this kid is probably right. He will go into the system, and he will get a bomb-a$$ education in criminality, and he probably will be released on good behavior, and he WILL probably get made for not snitching, and will end up inside again. And the cycle continues...

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think it's horrible any time the system snatches away the life of a young person because they made a mistake as a dumb kid. Especially the dumb@$$ laws and courts who gave this kid 65 years.

To everyone calling this an "example" to others, if making an example out of people worked we wouldn't have to make examples out of people any more.

edit on 10-4-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That's a lot of edits, friend, for your reply to remain barely legible. When he was smiling, the full impact of his actions still had not registered in his mind. I think that's the context you're missing. He still thinks he's getting off on a technicality. He isn't, for the record.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

What does that beer pitcher even mean? Is it a mug? Does it mean "cheers" like, bye? Drive-by opinion?

The only person "snatching" anything is the defendant. He had an opportunity to lower his sentence, he declined it. What is the story here? That he declined to admit guilt to attempted robbery? That one of his dickhead friends shot at cops? Seriously, this was not a simple "youthful mistake." He didn't shoplift some bubblegum. His group shot at cops. One of them died. Does that sound like a youthful mistake to you? AND YET he didn't plea. He showed no remorse. Why do you think he did that? Out of youthful ignorance of the gravity of his situation?

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Laws like that exist in many states so it's not shocking. What IS surprising is that the young man's lawyer didn't talk him into taking the plea deal. With good behavior he could have been out on parole in about 6-7 years. When you choose to refuse a plea deal they tend to throw the book at you sentence wise and go for the maximum penalties. If the boy is smart he will appeal the case on the grounds of incompetent representation because any lawyer with half a brain would have persuaded him to take the deal.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

What does that beer pitcher even mean? Is it a mug? Does it mean "cheers" like, bye? Drive-by opinion?

The only person "snatching" anything is the defendant. He had an opportunity to lower his sentence, he declined it. What is the story here? That he declined to admit guilt to attempted robbery? That one of his dickhead friends shot at cops? Seriously, this was not a simple "youthful mistake." He didn't shoplift some bubblegum. His group shot at cops. One of them died. Does that sound like a youthful mistake to you? AND YET he didn't plea. He showed no remorse. Why do you think he did that? Out of youthful ignorance of the gravity of his situation?

One of his friends did something stupid, and died because of it and now he's being charged with the murder. Who is it helping giving him 65 years?

His dead friend he's being charged with the murder of? Society? Give me a break.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

He didn't kill anyone though. 25 years should of been more than enough.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

that's what the court does if you don't sign a plea deal, they totally railroad you and throw the book at you to prevent them from having to go to court

their caseload is HUUUGGGEEE

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join