It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen turns down plea deal for 25 years in prison, gets 65 years instead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Fine. Then charge him with attempted murder of a police officer.

While I disagree with the concept of guilty-by-association, your point is appropriate under the law that I posted.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

That’s very bad logic..

First you have to establish that the punishment fits the crime, before you can site “personal responsibility “ as a valid counterpoint..

If they exectuted every one in the car for going ten miles over the speed limit, no one would say “well shouldn’t have been a car that was speeding”..

Why??

Because the punishment doesn’t fit the crime..

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

That’s very bad logic..

First you have to establish that the punishment fits the crime, before you can site “personal responsibility “ as a valid counterpoint..

If they exectuted every one in the car for going ten miles over the speed limit, no one would say “well shouldn’t have been a car that was speeding”..

Why??

Because the punishment doesn’t fit the crime..

link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Domestic Violence charge's are being handed out like candy , I had a situation where my 17 year old kid had recently got put on meds for depression long story short he got violent and struck me I restrained him my wife got freaked out and dialed 911 before I could get the phone away from her ,

Cops came and wanted me to press charges against my Son and I refused the cop told me that the Law says if they come out someone has to go - I said I guess that's me then , So they went into the house and kept asking my wife if I did anything to her and she said no he might of pulled my hair by accident when he grabbed the phone that was all they needed to charge me.

The worse part is they wont even hear your case unless you spend the $10,000 to go to trial . So now I enjoy a 2 hour class every Sat morning.

link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The shootout started with somebody shooting at officers from inside the residence being burgled, and continued while all five subjects fled from the residence.

I'd say it occurred during both the commission of the crime and the flight from it.

ETA - (a)(3) doesn't say that person has to cause the death. It says that person, or any person with them, causes the death of any person. Pulling a gun and shooting at cops is a pretty clear way to cause your own death.
edit on 10-4-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

ETA on ETA - to be clear, I think it's a reach and I'm only giving my take on the case the prosecutor made. I can see how the argument was made for the charge as it was. Personally, I think it's silly to charge somebody because their accomplice got themselves killed. But, this guy doesn't really seem to care about it so I'm certainly not going to get worked up over it.
edit on 10-4-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Lets not forget 35 years consecutive. 15 years for a burglary and 10 years X2 for theft since two things were also taken...lol

Crazy harsh...

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Crazy harsh indeed.
...and such sentences don't seem to prevent crime any more than the relatively short prison sentences in the UK.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

The worse part is they wont even hear your case unless you spend the $10,000 to go to trial . So now I enjoy a 2 hour class every Sat morning.

Same idea happened to a guy that works for me. Had a argument (nothing physical) with his wife who gets mean when she drinks and smokes pot...he does not do either. Someone called the cops...no one knows who...

One of them needed to go to jail (cops helped her fill out the form...) so it was him since they also have a two year old. He could not go back home for 8 months could not get his car, cloths etc for weeks. Had to borrow cloths/car from me and live at a friends house. Two years later he still has small visits with his kid as they are going though divorce with all of this on them. She will not stop drinking or smoking weed, so he can not afford another incidence...ever

Talk about money...about 25,000 to date for him.

edit on 10-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Only thing I can think of is he's set for life..

Three hots, a cot, and who knows what other sort of ammenities.. A weight room? Pool table? Cable tv?

Free healthcare..

A lot of people, especially the younger ones feel it's useless to try and get anywhere nowadays.. There is no hope.

---

What is a life worth? 6 months, 5 years, maybe 10, no 25?

IF you make the punishment too soft, life loses meaning, the cost is sometimes easier to deal with and murder is a viable option. Is that an ideal we want to foster more than it already is?

link   

originally posted by: tadaman
The law is wrong in this case. This guys entire life because someone else died shooting at cops?

Insane. He should escape.

When you are in the getaway car as part of a crew of criminals, the law doesn't necessarily care if you are driving or not...

link   

another stupid law in out of thousands of stupid laws, unbelievable.

link   

Gosh what a tragic story, especially for the kids.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Only thing I can think of is he's set for life..

British prison I'd agree, but US prisons seem way harsher environments.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Pertinent parts of the statute that you cited:

(a) A person commits the crime of murder if he or she does any of the following:
    (3) He or she commits or attempts to commit arson in the first degree, burglary in the first or second degree, escape in the first degree, kidnapping in the first degree, rape in the first degree, robbery in any degree, sodomy in the first degree, aggravated child abuse under Section 26-15-3.1 , or any other felony clearly dangerous to human life and, in the course of and in furtherance of the crime that he or she is committing or attempting to commit, or in immediate flight therefrom, he or she, or another participant if there be any, causes the death of any person.

Yes, I glanced over the "or another participant..." because that doesn't pertain here to murder in reference to a LEO shooting an armed robber in self defense. I would almost guarantee that this law is written as is to mean that any of the participants (which it does state) killed someone else because of their actions, not if they get themselves killed because of the stupidity of one of them choosing to aim a firearm at a police officer.

But, obviously, he got charged with and convicted of murder, so it would seem that I'm wrong at this point. Like I said, though, I would be interested to watch the appeal process, because I'd be willing to bet that it gets overturned. The court and juries don't always get it right, but neither do I.

This is a more interesting outcome of a trial than I was expecting before I clicked the thread.

ETA: I just read your ETA

I think that the prosecutors were full of crap, and as I noted before, the defense attorney seems to have been nothing more than a polished turd with this outcome.
edit on 10-4-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

He was an accomplice in a crime that directly resulted in the death of any individual. It's odd, but because he was a criminal and his friend, is that death not equitable to another? Not saying I totally agree with it, but he should have taken the deal, you cost them more time,money, and resources so they throw the book at you.
edit on 4/10/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

No I see a lot wrong too... with burglarizing a house with others that have guns and firing at the police.

Don't burglarize in the first place, don't shoot guns at police, and this wouldn't have happened. Who cares if it's fair or not.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
u know they have a law for this that acctualy fits th crime manslaughter i sopose 2-20 tacked on isent enough tho they needed that extra 10

alabama ... reminds me of requium of a dream type # go to the doctor caz u shot up ur heroin to many times end up with no arm doing life in prision ... caz we dont like your kind round thease parts

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Don't care about the skin color. I am really bothered by his age in this sentencing.

Anything over a few years and the kid is likely to become a hardened criminal.

He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. I have no problem with the accomplice law other than how it's applied to anyone under 18.

I personally think he should see 3 years in juvi for the accomplice thing but I don't know if he has a record at 15. With something like this happening, it's likely not a first offense.

It's a tough situation for one reason.... Prisons DON'T usually reform criminals. A criminal chooses to change him/herself. If the kid could get the proper help to turn his life around, it would be great but thats not how our for profit prisons work.
edit on 10-4-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just like in Calif,commit a crime where a death occurs,charged with the murder,even if you were only the driver,all hels liable

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Am I the only one who sees something really wrong with all this?

Not sure how you mean. Do I think it's "fair?" Well, the law isn't all that interested in fair, so I don't see a problem there. This is a pretty common outcome to incidents where a person is part of a group committing a crime and somebody gets killed in the process. Everybody goes up the river. It's sad, but then again, the world is full of sad things.

Some states would take into account that he was 15 at the time, How easy it is for a kid to be dragged into an older Brothers or Friends crime at 15.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join