It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Xi papa just blinked??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
In a stare down between China and the U.S did Chinese president just blinked??
If so then high score for Trump and as ya'll know I can't stand the guy, but props to him if it panned out and he doesn't fkit up..same as the Korea meeting, if he don't fkit up..but read on I'm being too optimistic??

Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday said his government would "significantly lower" tariffs on vehicle imports this year as part of efforts to further open its giant economy to the world.

The pledge addresses one of the gripes of US President Donald Trump, who has threatened to impose new tariffs on $150 billion of Chinese goods in a trade disputebetween the world's two largest economies. Experts cautioned, though, that Xi's comments may not do much to resolve the conflict, which has rocked markets in recent weeks.
money.cnn.com...

edit on 10-4-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I think they are realizing the pork tariff was a horrible idea.

Smart move to impose a new tariff on a Chinese owned company that produces 25-30% of US pork.

Go China! I cannot wait for your next tariff...maybe oil next!

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yeah I hope it all work out, maybe this is one time Trump's crazy ass posturing can work for the benefit of all.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Yeah I hope it all work out, maybe this is one time Trump's crazy ass posturing can work for the benefit of all.

China's rhetorical tariffs were impulsive and not very well thought out.

I'm not a fan of a 'trade war', but I am a fan of balanced trade.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
We will still have to wait and see. From what I read it's all just empty promises right now. I'm mainly upset none of our allies took our side against China's abusive trade practices and stealing intellectual property since it affects them too. Instead, they sat back and tried to kill any confidence in the U.S. winning these negotiations. Every day I realize our allies are just using us. I can't wait until Trump is done with trade negotiations with China and starts with our useless allies.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
China has promised to crackdown on IP theft before, and nothing changed so... I’ll believe it when I see it.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
China has promised to crackdown on IP theft before, and nothing changed so... I’ll believe it when I see it.

Well Trump didn't exactly talked with our allies and trade partners did he, he was being unilateral so I can't exactly blame them for not just jumping on board, especially when much was at stake.
edit on 10-4-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

True. It was a 'U.S. first' move, not only addressed to China whatsoever.

The Dems can kiss the mid-terms goodby if this holds up.....

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Our company is moving stuff out of China so we can make money being first to market instead of having our stuff sold. It's happened more than a few times.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

S & F

I'm still not sure how this is going to end up but I'm hopeful we are beginning to see progress.

I'm also glad to read someone who hates Trump able to look past Trump to see what he might be accomplishing. I wish they would let him succeed or fail but at least let him try.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
For sure they blinked. They realized their retaliation was basically symbolic and everyone saw it as that.

Their backup plan, devaluing the RMB would have played right into Trump's hands so that option was out.

They did stop buying US Treasuries though but that may have been planned for awhile.

I think they chose a "safe" option because you don't see as many US cars on the roads in China as you do Toyota, Nissan, BYD, and other Chinese brands. I see the occasional Ford Focus and Jeeps but rarely a GM vehicle. They simply aren't that popular here vs other brands. I own a Korean car and most of my wife's family has Toyotas.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Petro yuan

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

Toyota and Nissan are Japanese brands. Just saying.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Its only crazy because we've not seen anything like it for the last 24 years.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111
Petro yuan

Needs to be watched, but you'll notice it hasn't sparked a run on USDs.

Trump has options, one would be open the export taps on crude and increase CNG exports. That drops the world-wide prices, undercuts contracts among SCA members and he can demand payment in USDs for those exports...with an export tariff on China.....

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
And, why trust what Xi says? He just before this had met privately with Nk's leader, Kim. Who knows what he may be cooking up.

We should never trust what Xi says-just what we see him do. Was Trump invited to meet with Xi? Nope.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

It's odd but seems like Trump has been good at reading people. Remember North Korea everyone told him he's starting a war then they decided to talk. Then China oh he's starting a trade war then he escalates and China says well I guess we can try to be fair and allow more US imports. Trump may be an a hole but he does get results.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

It's odd but seems like Trump has been good at reading people. Remember North Korea everyone told him he's starting a war then they decided to talk. Then China oh he's starting a trade war then he escalates and China says well I guess we can try to be fair and allow more US imports. Trump may be an a hole but he does get results.

top topics

join