It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Supreme Court strikes down in-state tuition for 'dreamers'

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Source

Well now this should just be common sense. The fact that it went to the State Supreme Court is ridiculous in my opinion, but at least reason prevailed in this case.

Arizona colleges can't give in-state tuition to young immigrants covered under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled Monday. The court issued a brief decision order saying justices unanimously agreed with the Arizona Court of Appeals' ruling that said existing federal and state laws don't allow the Maricopa Community Colleges to grant in-state tuition rates for DACA recipients.

It's bad enough that Americans are getting fleeced by the education system, making sure incentives are reserved for American citizens should be a no brainer.

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich said he wasn’t surprised to see the ruling because his office has maintained all along that colleges and universities were violating state and federal laws by granting in-state tuition to DACA recipients.

“It’s about time someone held them accountable, and that’s my job. My role as AG is to make sure you’re following the law,” he said. He said he’s sympathetic to the DACA recipients’ arguments because he’s a first-generation American. But he said his job isn’t to delve into policies, but to uphold the law as it’s written.

“What makes this country unique and great … is because the rule of law means something,” Brnovich said.

More common sense! I love it.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Just curious : why is the tagline on your source article blurred out?

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

Just curious : why is the tagline on your source article blurred out?

It focuses after a second or two.

Looks like it's just an animation when the site loads.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Never came into focus for me, but dosn't matter. Found several other source articles. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
ICE need to get the name of the criminals trying to get an education on the backs of the American tax payers and deport them all

thanks colleges foe the datacollection, you are almost as good as facebook

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I consider dreamers citizens and deserve to be treated like citizens. Not their fault our politicians can't compromise and come up with a solution.
edit on 9-4-2018 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
I consider dreamers citizens and deserve to be treated like citizens. Not their fault our politicians can't compromise and come up with a solution.
ha , i consider them to be leeches like their parents and should be deported. im tired of supporting people who sit around and "dream" while living off my back

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

That sounds reasonable.
From a taxpaying American Citizen
point of view.
But not to those American leaders in the pocket of
the communist agenda drug cartels of course.
S&F

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

edit on 9-4-2018 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I agree. When college costs and student loan debt are already so high for citizens and legal immigrants, we need to first take care of legal residents.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

While I agree on principle (although I don't consider them citizens...because they're not citizens), the reality is that they are not legal citizens at the moment.

If you're not a legal citizen, should you be counted as a resident of a state?

I know, it brings a lot of questions along with that (do they have jobs, do they pay taxes, etc., etc.), but the bottom line is that they are not here legally at the moment, therefore they should not be afforded all of the luxuries that citizens are provided until that reality changes.

But like I said, I'm with you--Obama screwed them by doing what he did, but now I think that we need to make good on what our government promised them, even if I disagree with amnesty in general.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: JDmOKI

While I agree on principle (although I don't consider them citizens...because they're not citizens), the reality is that they are not legal citizens at the moment.

If you're not a legal citizen, should you be counted as a resident of a state?

I know, it brings a lot of questions along with that (do they have jobs, do they pay taxes, etc., etc.), but the bottom line is that they are not here legally at the moment, therefore they should not be afforded all of the luxuries that citizens are provided until that reality changes.

But like I said, I'm with you--Obama screwed them by doing what he did, but now I think that we need to make good on what our government promised them, even if I disagree with amnesty in general.

This is probably the only time I agree with amnesty or an easier path to citizenship. No criminal record etc

new topics

top topics

join