It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers develop device that can 'hear' your internal voice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Step by step, inch by inch we creep and lurch forward into the matrix.
Even your own private thoughts are no longer private.
This tech can likely already be applied at a distance.
Sweet dreams everyone.

Researchers have created a wearable device that can read people’s minds when they use an internal voice, allowing them to control devices and ask queries without speaking.

The device, called AlterEgo, can transcribe words that wearers verbalise internally but do not say out loud, using electrodes attached to the skin.

“Our idea was: could we have a computing platform that’s more internal, that melds human and machine in some ways and that feels like an internal extension of our own cognition?” said Arnav Kapur, who led the development of the system at MIT’s Media Lab.

Kapur describes the headset as an “intelligence-augmentation” or IA device, and was presented at the Association for Computing Machinery’s Intelligent User Interface conference in Tokyo. It is worn around the jaw and chin, clipped over the top of the ear to hold it in place. Four electrodes under the white plastic device make contact with the skin and pick up the subtle neuromuscular signals that are triggered when a person verbalises internally. When someone says words inside their head, artificial intelligence within the device can match particular signals to particular words, feeding them into a computer.

This device did not come into the market in a vacuum.
Check out these little nightmarish gizmos
here

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Lmao if thats all MIT could come up with, a concept from the 50's, we need a new school of tech.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Citation needed .
Plz

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
only thing theyll hear from me is to tell them to f#%& off and leave me the hell alone .

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Telepathy isn't too far away from what this device is supposed to be doing. It's augmented electronic telepathy.. Interesting.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
There are surgically implanted transponding microphones already in the field.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
a reply to: SR1TX

Citation needed .
Plz

This stupid thing is no different from the electrodes they place on your head to study sleep. it's just software changing the device to look for something else/somewhere else for the data and they made it strap to your chin. 92% accuracy deez, I want to see it on a real person and not in a stupid LAB.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The device just reads signals. It can't determine what 'words' those signals correspond to by itself.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

It's an older idea with new tech put on it.

That being said, not all of us subvocalize.

Then there is the issue of "if the language you are speaking isn't the language you think in...."

edit on 9-4-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
And ive been saying "schizophrenia" is this tech bio adapted internally. Been here for a while now.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Its not too dissimilar from my thread last week about Subvocal speech.

I gather this method is using brain waves read by electrodes, whereas the subvocal speech was monitored with small mics.

Still, they determined that the subvocalizations they recorded matched the auditory hallucinations of the schizophrenic patients they tested.

Essentially they were listening to these people's hallucinations. Some of the recorded content was very bizarre, maybe even disturbing to some.

All of this stuff is just...i get the passions and interest in this stuff by aspiring scientists and whatnot, but I cant help but notice how people seem to be blinded by their drive and curiousity without considering potential repercussions/effects.

Ive learned that lesson in a fairly extreme way.

edit on 492018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I akways imzbined something like this might be invented but it would be in fillings put in your teeth. Might be in our teeth already!

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

There are a couple of episodes like one on Gilligan's Island. I don't want every little thought that enters my mind being heard. It can get real complicated real fast. I know if my wife heard all I ever thought I would be in the dog house. The truth spoken can be a dangerous thing and when someone can read your mind danger will abound.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Which one ??

If they can hear the voices in my head, do you think they could tell one of them to HANG UP THE PHONE ???
edit on 9-4-2018 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Nanomachines? Codec? MGS is that you Snake?

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

Its not too dissimilar from my thread last week about Subvocal speech.

I gather this method is using brain waves read by electrodes, whereas the subvocal speech was monitored with small mics.

Still, they determined that the subvocalizations they recorded matched the auditory hallucinations of the schizophrenic patients they tested.

Essentially they were listening to these people's hallucinations. Some of the recorded content was very bizarre, maybe even disturbing to some.

All of this stuff is just...i get the passions and interest in this stuff by aspiring scientists and whatnot, but I cant help but notice how people seem to be blinded by their drive and curiousity without considering potential repercussions/effects.

Ive learned that lesson in a fairly extreme way.

We need a Science that deals specifically with the "law of unintended consequences".

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This type of thing would e great for those who are 'Mute' but not for the rest of us, it's not needed for the rest of us so I don't think this will sell except for those who're 'Mute'.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is like my worst nightmare since I was born. I've just always been concerned that everyone could hear my thoughts. As an adult it has bothered me less and I've realized it's extremely unlikely. I also thought that everyone could do it, and that I would develop the ability when I was an adult. Found out that wasn't so lol, but THIS technology? NO THANKS! I'm going to have to repress my memory of reading this lol

Sweet dreams indeed

-Alee

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
in a hundred or so years, talking with our mouths will be infrequent, preferring instead to send messages directly from brain to brain.

You ever read those alien encounters where they discuss how they talk via telepathy and stuff...seems there is some science behind it.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The doctors said that if you hear voices in your head then you need meds...

true story

Now ask yourselves if this tech could be put into satellites and beam down signals that can make you think certain things and read your thoughts from a distance... oh but if a person was to ever come to a site like ats and say such they would be ridiculed from the majority of members citing what type of illness they have and corresponding government sponsored pills and stays in places designed to gather money from pharmaceutical companies and psychological studies designed to quiten the belief in such tech while seeking to subvert rational thinking in the subjects brain...All in the name of science and total tyrannical control.
edit on 9-4-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join