It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 19

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

And your border is about to turn dark green ... 🍻

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dakini37

...Now Gordi's gone AWOL. He's probably off somewhere fiddling with his bagpipes.

I'm here, just reading and catching up...

I've been showing potential tenants around our new rental flat and fielding online questions about a car that I'm selling, and it's driving me NUTS!!!
Can people REALLY be this stupid?? (Answer: YES! They can.)

I did manage to get away for a night in my campervan - BLISS!
(Pics below: )

I've also been a little bit busier at my day-job (vinyl sign-writing & decals) so haven't been able to post much.

I think I'd actually quite like a set of bagpipes... but only if I knew how to play them properly! (They sound TERRIBLE if you don't!!)

On the matter of faith/beliefs, my family (especially mum) were protestant christian but I never ever "got" it and they didn't think it right to force us into anything.
I do believe in a "Mother Nature" life-force or energy which is a part of all living things. I think we're all connected in some way or can at least have an effect on everything else.

I don't think anyone needs to belong to an organised religion to be a good, moral person.
"Do unto others" is absolutely fine by me.
I believe that we are all of the One Earth, made from the same Stardust. So, I can't understand why there is a need for all of these different faiths in the first place, but I have no problem whatsoever with anyone believing what they want to believe, so long as they don't try to push that onto others uninvited.

I do have a bit of a problem with certain rules (within certain religions) which make no sense at all, unless their sole purpose is to "self-promote" that religion (and it's leaders authority) at the expense of others. That's just nasty & wrong IMHO.

I am very much enjoying the company of our current shed-crew, after seeing many pass through these halls over the years. And I love how we can openly discuss delicate issues in an honest, respectful and understanding way, (hopefully) without causing too much distress to everyone else!
I do miss old shed-friends very much when they're not here - too many to mention, but NOT forgotten.

And.... Yes! I do have a lovely family with two adorable boys who are getting BIGGER every day!!
How did we get from THIS:

To THIS in less than 8 years?

They are for sale if anyone wants to buy one??? No?? I could do a BOGOF deal (Buy One Get One Free)?

OK, I see that I've been rambling (again!),

Laterz...
G

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

I don't think anyone needs to belong to an organised religion to be a good, moral person. "Do unto others" is absolutely fine by me. I believe that we are all of the One Earth, made from the same Stardust. So, I can't understand why there is a need for all of these different faiths in the first place, but I have no problem whatsoever with anyone believing what they want to believe, so long as they don't try to push that onto others uninvited.

I believe differently than you Gordie ... and the above sort of proves my point that certain belief systems are more “ popular”, therefore they are constantly “ pushed” as some sort of higher power truth.

We kid ourselves if we think we are not in need of grace... and we are all just good souls ready to fly into the next life.. with all the wonderful karma we’ve gathered.

My opinion is different than yours. I won’t push it any farther... but I ask respectfully that others do not push their spiritual beliefs on me. The Shed is full of new age spiritualism and I get so tired of it pushed as some sort of Sacred truth.

Perhaps it’s time for me to say goodbye to the Shed , and go join a website that will edify me more on a spiritual level.🤷🏻‍♀️...
edit on 26-4-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Wowzer! That scenery is just stunning! Scotland is THE most beautiful country (just a wee bit too nippy). My mum lived in Edinburgh for 30 years so it's like my second home, although I haven't been back since she died. The architecture there is so Gothic. And as everyone knows J.K. Rowling was inspired to write the Harry Potter books there. The bagpipes and the violin are instruments that need to be well played, hahaha!

Your weeuns are adorable! Three out of four of mine now refuse to be photographed, but the youngest is a right performer. I did put an advert on facebook once, "free to a good home, one ginger male. Mostly house trained. Does not do recall or respond to voice commands. Do not tell social services" Strangely didn't get many responses. Guess I'll have to keep him.

Your spiritual views reminded me of Joni Mitchell's Woodstock.

Okay, stick a fork in me.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiritual beliefs are not an exactly "one size fits all" type thing, aren't they? Follow your own beliefs and enjoy the companionship of the Shed when you can. I for one am not here to push my beliefs on you or anyone else. I appreciate you for being here.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Sheye - there's no need to go anywhere.

I'm not pushing anything. Anything at all.
You may or may not have noticed that I preface all of my belief statements with "I believe/don't believe" "I think/don't think" or "In my opinion..." ?

That's not pushing anything.
That's giving an opinion (in this case... in response to others here in the shed giving their own opinions, and that's a good thing in my book.)
You said earlier that you wanted to discuss religion... You even said that it led to tension for you when you didn't?

I've NEVER EVER said (or even hinted at saying) that I think I'm right and you or anyone else is wrong with regards to their beliefs. Actually, I specifically said:
"I have no problem whatsoever with anyone believing what they want to believe..."

Please show me where you think somethings being "pushed" by me as some "sacred truth"?
I never say "This is the truth" or "fact is" etc because (as far as I'm aware) none of us can possibly know the whole truth. (see what I did there?? LOL)

All I said is that I (personally) don't think that I need to belong to an organised religion, for me to be a good, moral person. Are you saying that I'm wrong? That I'm not a good, moral person, because I don't believe what you want me to?
Please note that I NEVER said anything about "souls" or "next lives" either!!! I don't have a clue where you got that one from.
I feel like you're reading between lines that aren't even there tbh.

No need to leave. We're all friends. Voicing opinions. We don't always have to agree - that would be boring!

G

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dakini37

Thanks Dakini! (...your full name is back!)
Yeah, I'm very lucky and LOVE where I live very much.
Really like your Facebook ad idea too! LOL

Gx

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiritual beliefs are not an exactly "one size fits all" type thing, aren't they? Follow your own beliefs and enjoy the companionship of the Shed when you can. I for one am not here to push my beliefs on you or anyone else. I appreciate you for being here.

Well said luke!

G

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I believe that we are all of the One Earth, made from the same Stardust. So, I can't understand why there is a need for all of these different faiths in the first place, but I have no problem whatsoever with anyone believing what they want to believe, so long as they don't try to push that onto others uninvited.

Well put as well Gordi. As the Universe is such a big place that has been around since the beginning of time if not before there will never be a right or wrong way to be spiritual as long as it doen'st involve harming others.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Gordi, LOVE, love, love the pics! Do the boys do chores? I'll take the buy one get free deal. Having been raised by you and Chrissie, your first wife, I'm sure they are awesome young men!

Hello to everyone!

Sheye, We all realize how important your religion is to you. That is fine. I doubt though that you would want to lose friendships with good, kind and loving people by leaving the Shed because some have a different opinion. I have met some of the kindest, most compassionate and loving people in here and I treasure these friendships. Take a moment to think things over. No matter where you go you will meet people with different belief systems. Look at the people, into their hearts and what is really there.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Well put as well Gordi. As the Universe is such a big place that has been around since the beginning of time if not before there will never be a right or wrong way to be spiritual as long as it doesn't involve harming others.

I agree Blue! To me...whatever brings one comfort and inspiration and gives them hope and fills their heart with love...well, how can that be a bad thing?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Anniveraries and such....

The thought did cross my mind to make this into a thread but I find it best to leave it here in part as it could go under a variety of forum.

Going through some of my belongings I came across I card my late wife had given me in order to cheer me up from whatever was bothering me at that time. The card itself read:

"You're cute...
you're witty...
you're fun...
you're smart...
you're talented...

...and you've got
a great person
in your life - me!
Now, how can you
not be cheered up?"

Below that she wrote:

"You don't buy me roses
but I don't care.

You're there to hold my
hand when no one else
cared.

You are my man and I
(will) always be here"

Janey

Yes, even though she is gone she will always be a part of my life. This is especially true at this time of the year which I call the birthday season. April starts things going with my parents birthdays. Early May is marked by our wedding anniversary and my wife's birth-mother's birthday. One of the hardest days to deal with comes next in the form of Mother's Day. A day that will alway be remembered as the day the stone grave marker was placed upon my wife's grave.

There are three other birthdays, including my own in the last two weeks of May. They day before my birthday in the year she died as a bad one for me as I cried for her beyond how I've ever cried before. Her birthday is in August as well as that of someone from long ago that I wish that I got to know better than I did.

Upon all of this I have hurricane season to be worried about after experiencing Hurricane Harvey last year I don't care to be living this close to the Gulf of Mexico. I think the stress of the storm contributed to my going into the hospital just afterward because of afib. Spending two days in the emergency room and the week plus in my own hospital room is nothing I wish on anyone.

My way to deal with the thoughts of all of this is to mentally hold my breath until the season passes.

Many thanks to each and everyone of you reading this as all of you have a special place in my heart.
edit on 4 26 2018 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
the dreaded double post

edit on 4 26 2018 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh Hun, you made me teary eyed. We will be here with you to help you through those storms. There are so many things that can trigger memories and bring gut wrenching heartache for you, but we will be here, I promise.

PS: Please remind me when your Birthday gets closer.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Sorry about the tears as I know you have experienced loss as well.

Continuing the memories about anniversaries, birthdays and such I have trouble dealing with Valentine's Day as my wife died five days later. It will always remind me of that. A musician friend of ours birthday is on the day she died as well. My mother-in-law's birthday and passing away date ares around that time as well.

I have a pair of friends who I have since lost touch with who were there to save me from myself after my loss. As important as their help was to me I will always remember their birthdays, Nov. 6th and 7th. I will always remember Nov. 6th as well for being the day my saint of a father-in-law passed away. I always remember him around Christmas as his birthday was on Dec. 27th.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wasn’t referring to you Gordie totally... talking more in general terms.

I respect that you believe differently than I do.. I shouldn’t have even bothered to address it.

I hope you can forgive me if I upset you, and also hope you can respect my beliefs in what I think is truly Sacred, which has everything to do with Jesus.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Hey Luke,
I think that loss (although painful at the time) in the long run just makes us appreciate what we once had even more.

Janey's card was just awesome! (... and, I'm guessing from that - so was she!)
Please try to enjoy the memories. The good and the bad. Because that's something very special.

[[[man hugs!]]]
G

PS - Janey was right. Roses and chocolates mean zip. It's being there for one another that counts, and you were there.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Sorry about the tears as I know you have experienced loss as well.

The tears weren't for me Blue, they were for you. I rhymed. LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
I wasn’t referring to you Gordie totally... talking more in general terms.
I respect that you believe differently than I do.. I shouldn’t have even bothered to address it.
I hope you can forgive me if I upset you, and also hope you can respect my beliefs in what I think is truly Sacred, which has everything to do with Jesus.

pfft. I'm not upset at all Sheye - I was worried that you'd taken me the wrong way or something!
I do respect you and your beliefs totally! No question. I enjoy reading your posts too!! (So, don't leave! LOL)

Truth is... I don't actually have any "strong beliefs" with regards to this. Not at all.
Just "hunches" and my own personal intuition...
I don't align myself with ANY religion, new-age philosophy, fad.. etc
I know what I know, I believe what I believe. But, all based on MY OWN personal experience of life.

That doesn't mean that I don't understand and respect other peoples views. Because I absolutely do.
I am more of a non-believer than anything else. But that doesn't mean that I am bad. Or that I don't understand.
I don't think that at any point, I maligned Christianity, Jesus or your faith - did I ?

I like to think that I am a good person. There's not a bad bone in my body. I treat everyone the same way. With respect and dignity, unless they cross me or my family & friends without good cause! Then I get the Bagpipes out!
I mentioned the other day that I am WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) and I meant that. Completely.
This is it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Take me or leave me.... this is all I got! LOL

Thanks for not just leaving stage left!

Gx

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

That doesn't mean that I don't understand and respect other peoples views. Because I absolutely do. I am more of a non-believer than anything else. But that doesn't mean that I am bad. Or that I don't understand. I don't think that at any point, I maligned Christianity, Jesus or your faith - did I ?

No you didn’t Gordie, and my apologies for inferring you may have.

It’s really difficult to post long posts in reply to everything you wrote , on my phone... so I will leave this post short snd sweet.

Thank you for your understanding, and I too have faith in my beliefs because of real life experiences.

Hugs to all Sheddites

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join