It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 19

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

It's strange to read that many towns/places in the US and, apparently now, Australia share the same name as towns in the UK. Birmingham, Halifax, Newcastle, Sheffield. As if they sailed all that way and went "Hey, this reminds me of..."

As for unpolluted by light places, I can only dream....

I was once in Zimbabwe on holiday. That was dark too. Very dark. I can't remember the Milky Way because we were so tired at night. Plus the sun set's so fast in Africa it's just weird. Apparently it's due to the bulge of the Earth at the equator. Or something like that...
edit on 15/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Back in early March, we drove from Adelaide to Sydney to visit friends for a longish weekend. (Got there Thurs, went back on Monday.) Went via Mildura, Hay, Narrandera, Wagga, Gundagai, and Goulburn. Beautiful drive; only took about 14 hours of actual driving time for 1400km. I had to do all the driving because my wife can't drive any more because of her medical conditions, so aside from some stops for "power naps" I did it in one go.

But driving in Oz is so much easier than in Europe. It feels so low-pressure, because once you're out in the country, you just watch out for roos, emus and other animals and otherwise it's easy. And Aussies are nowhere near as aggressive as drivers in Central Europe. After 20 years driving in Oz and ditto here, I can state that as a fact. Here, you can do the insane 130 km/hr (85mph) limit on the highways, and people come up behind you and sit three feet behind your bumper, flashing their lights because they want to go faster. Freaking insane! In Oz, that's very rare. People are more likely to obey speed limits there. Here, they don't give a sh#t.

But anyway, back to the country. I love the contrasts there. You can be driving through semi-desert and half a day later you're in mountains, with lush greenery all around. But the best is the nights: the sky is glorious in the country, the way it has always been and the way we were meant to see it.

It's what I miss here most. The beautiful night sky, and the silence of the country.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Mike!!!!!!! So happy to see you! How is every little thing?

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hiya Light and whoever else is around!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hello hun, how's you doing? Got snow?

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver
That's exactly how it is. "New South Wales" got its name because when Capt Cook asked one of the sailors what it reminded him of, he replied, "Sir, it looks like the coast of South Wales".

"Very well; I shall name it New South Wales."

Botany Bay (where Sydney is now) was originally going to be called Botanist's Bay (because the botanist Joseph Banks on Cook's ship suggested that name), but Cook thought that sounded awkward. He said, "That is a good name, but Botany Bay sounds better." So, that's what it got named!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Pretty good overall. Dada and I are both still alive and (relatively) well, so I cannot complain too much.

Hope you are doing okay.

And I need to log out because I just noticed the computer's clock and it's OMG after 2 am here. I need to be up and about before Dada wakes up (she's asleep now), so I need to log out and get to bed.

Sigh... See you tomorrow...

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

The Dutch did the same with New Zealand. Zeeland is a Dutch province on the coast. Zee is the Dutch word for sea. (Pronunciation is like "say" but with a zed instead of an s.) Europeans can be weird at times, myself excluded, obviously...

edit on 15/4/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

We were settled by the Brits as were the Americans. I suppose unimaginative British settlers are to be blamed.

Some Aussie named places are a little less British eg. Woy Woy, Comebychance, Gulargembone, Mumbil etc.

Or the Kiwi ones ... Waikikamoocow or Kickatinalong.

😎

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Don't ever drive the Hay Plains at night !

I ignored this advice ONCE ... the Kangaroos are leaping around like grass hoppers !!

I waited for a semi. to come along, so that I could follow behind while he carved a path at 120kph.

That was OK for about a minute before the rear bogey wheels picked up a roo and flung it just over the roof of my car. The rest of that crossing was at 70kph. Lol.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Hello hun, how's you doing? Got snow?

Snow? Good Lord, I'm waiting for flowers! It is cold here though. May is coming. I will have my warm weather, I will, I will!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I ignored this advice ONCE ... the Kangaroos are leaping around like grass hoppers !!

Bahaha!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

READY!

I never got to reply to this! Love the pic and yes...be ready!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Sweet dreams dear Mike!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yo!

Just relaxing at home. Later in the afternoon i will meet my mom downtown, we are going somewhere for coffee.

What are others up to?

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Maaan, i just finished reading your short story contest entry. Excellent writing, star and flag.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Bah, don't you hate it when you write a reply, get distracted by shiny things and then your words get carried off by the pixies here?

I've been reading about water today. Wow, it's magical stuff! It apparently is (or maybe just behaves like) quartz crystal. And just like photons in the double split experiment consciousness can influence it. Scientists looked at how the molecules changed when the water was played music, talked to, etc. Mind. Blown!

Today is a magical day. My realm is a deep blue, the animals and people live in harmony, the waters are healing and all around are the mantras that cure all.

A very blessed and meaningful day to you all 🤗

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Dakini37

Scientists looked at how the molecules changed when the water was played music, talked to, etc. Mind. Blown!

I have seen a video on this before. Fascinating stuff!

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Hope you had a lovely time with your Mom Fin! I'll be going out Wednesday with my Sister for my Birthday and then out on Friday with my friend Linda. Until then, I will be home not doing much of anything.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join