It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Test Finds Mad Cow Before Symptoms Appear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Mad Cow and other diseases are caused by misfolded proteins called "prions," discovered about 30 years ago. Prion diseases spread through the body very slowly, and can take 30 years to incubate before they reach the brain. Until recently, no tests existed to diagnose prion diseases in their early stages. The University of Texas just announced a new test technology called "Protein Misfolding Cyclic Amplification" (PMCA) that can diagnose Mad Cow-like prion infections before symptoms appear.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are neurodegenerative disorders affecting humans and animals. At present, it is not possible to recognize individuals incubating the disease before the clinical symptoms appear. We investigated the effectiveness of the technology "Protein Misfolding Cyclic Amplification" (PMCA) to detect the protease-resistance disease-associated prion protein (PrP(res)) in pre-symptomatic stages. PMCA allowed detection of PrP(res) in the brain of pre-symptomatic hamsters, enabling a clear identification of infected animals as early as two weeks after inoculation. Furthermore, PMCA was able to amplify minute quantities of PrP(res) from a variety of experimental and natural TSEs. Finally, PMCA allowed the demonstration of PrP(res) in an experimentally infected cow 32 month post-inoculation, that did not show clinical signs and was negative by standard Western blot analysis. Our findings indicate that PMCA may be useful for the development of an ultra-sensitive diagnostic test to minimize the risk of further propagation of TSEs.

FEBS Lett. 2005 Jan 31;579(3):638-42. Pre-symptomatic detection of prions by cyclic amplification of protein misfolding. Soto C, Anderes L, Suardi S, Cardone F, Castilla J, Frossard MJ, Peano S, Saa P, Limido L, Carbonatto M, Ironside J, Torres JM, Pocchiari M, Tagliavini F. Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA. PMID: 15670821

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hopefully, this new test will lead to preventing prion diseases. It certainly is needed for the food industry and as well, for human medicine.

It's good to know that there are solutions to the prion problem.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well I guess the food industry is taking this threat very seriously and we should be happy that they at least are doing something about it.

I guess health insurance industry and meat industry does not want to go bankrupt if it becomes public that we are all infected.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
should be itneresting to see what happens when they start testing the general population, one way or another.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
should be itneresting to see what happens when they start testing the general population, one way or another.

Yes very interesting if it turn out that say 1 in 10 are infected.. Heads could roll, both figuratively in the career sense and literally in the rampaging mob sense... Either way I cannot wait for some of the results.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Nygdan

Yes very interesting if it turn out that say 1 in 10 are infected.. Heads could roll, both figuratively in the career sense and literally in the rampaging mob sense... Either way I cannot wait for some of the results.

FYI - I suspect we're looking at near 100% incidence in the USA. See second post here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also FYI - an early stage effect is connective tissue stem cell mutations into "myofibroblasts" - the skin scraping test has existed for some time, but is not used because the test doesn't show where the main infection is in the body, and because there were no treatments.

...The pharmaceutical and insurance industry have been holding out for "block buster" one-size-fits-all treatments. Not happening.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
soficrow: Thank God you're posting some GOOD news regarding CJD and prion diseases! Way up!

The only question now is how can we force the government to make these drugs cheap and available. BTW, did you see Boston Legal or whatever that show is called (the one with Shatner)? It seemed like sort of a cover-op for mad cow but that's just me. What'd you think?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You know I am sure that is a way to take care of this big problem but the pharmaceutical industry wants to make a killing on miracle drugs like some has said instead than goin to the source.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You know I am sure that is a way to take care of this big problem but the pharmaceutical industry wants to make a killing on miracle drugs like some has said instead than goin to the source.

The real problem is - they are the source! ...and they'd rather make more drugs to treat new symptoms than clean up the cause.

People forget: Business is not about solving problems. It's about profiting from opportunities.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is good news, however I doubt that they will start testing the general population. They don't even test every cow that is slaughtered, so I don't think our government right now cares too much about mad cow.

The day you see everyone tested will be the day the pharmecutical companies have a pill you can take everyday to treat it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
This is good news, however I doubt that they will start testing the general population. They don't even test every cow that is slaughtered, so I don't think our government right now cares too much about mad cow.

How very true. ...Last I heard, they were testing about 176,000 out of 95,000,000 head going to slaughter. ...which is about 11 in 5987.

Not real concerned is right.

The day you see everyone tested will be the day the pharmecutical companies have a pill you can take everyday to treat it.

Key phrase that: A pill you have to take everyday to treat it. ...I think they're shooting for dozens - one pill for each individual symptom.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by soficrow]

top topics

join