It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy Pickled Eggs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I've always reused pickle juice. Celery, carrot sticks, anything.. seems a waste to just discard it once the original pickled item has been devoured. Have a jar of pickled jalapenos waiting for something good to go into it. Once I've eaten all of the jalapenos. Tasty little buggers. Jalapeno and lettuce sammiches are not too bad.. lol

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
a reply to: BlueJacket

just a timer and add bakeing soda will do the same ... well the timer part is most important eggs get hard to peel when there overcooked

but bakimg soda is like powdered egg shell remover if u dont own a timer

Hard to peal if they are too fresh.

Also using pickle juice sometimes the pickles used up the vinegar and they are not pickled enough to be safe, need more vinegar.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

We can get McClure's here in CO.

I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find them in CA. Look around a bit, I'll bet you'll find 'em somewhere.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
4-5 dozen medium eggs, boiled and peeled
1 1/2 pounds small onions halved or pearled onions.
1 pound carrots peeled and sliced 1/4 inch or so
3 cucumbers sliced to 1/2 inch
6 or more assorted large hot peppers cut to 1/2 inch rings
3 large banana peppers cut to rings or chunks
1 head cauliflower cut to chunks
1 cup of canning salt or Kosher salt.

Wash veggies and blanch for three minutes in boiling water to tenderize a bit, more time if you prefer bigger veggies. Drain and cool the veggies.

layer veggies and eggs into one gallon jars. split the salt between the jars and fill with water and swish. Put in the fridge to set for two to three days. Drain out the salt water and fill with water to rinse then dump out the rinse water.

Mix the pickle juice

In a large pot add the following.

1 teaspoon dill seed
1 1/2 teaspoon dill weed. (Organic stuff is stronger, maybe more if cheap dill weed)
2 teaspoons celery seed
12 drops of tabasco sauce
20 or so peppercorns
4 tablespoons grape seed oil, (light olive may be good.)
2 ounces sherri or white wine. (This can vary from 3 tablespoons to two ounces depending on the wine used)
6 cups good vinegar
5 cups sugar
2 cups water.

Heat to boiling till the sugar dissolves stirring continuously till dissolved.

Add mixture to jars with rinsed eggs and veggies. If there is not enough juice, then add some water evenly to each jar to top off to cover and set on counter till they cool. Stick into fridge for seven days and swish bottles every day

The longer they are in the fridge, the stronger they get. I used to put broccoli in the mix too, but they seem to get really strong tasting.

You can actually do conventional canning with these, but you need to have a huge pot and add the rinsed eggs and veggies to the boiling pickle juice to heat them up to get a seal on the jars. They never last long enough for us to worry about canning them, in fact rarely do they last longer than ten days..

If you want to speed up the process, you can add the veggies and eggs to the pickle juice in the pot too for three or four minutes boiling, then put them into the jars, but watch not to turn the veggies to mush. You can do just the eggs too. I use this when I feel like stronger eggs. Medium eggs work better than large eggs because the pickling soaks through better.

I was hoping that I could get my daughters to make them every other time, instead I just made everyone into addicts that want me to make them.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I just found Mc'Clures pickels at the local supermarket, here in California. I bought 2 jars. Spicy, and the sweet and spicy pickle chips. I can hardly wait to make the pickled eggs!

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I've never heard of the possibility of pickling eggs. But of course I'll try this advice.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Once after a night of merriment I went to our local chippy and saw this massive jar of pickle eggs a pal said to me I bet you couldn't eat 20, Okay I said and bought twenty sat down outside and cool hand luke style I ate them one by one.
The vomiting that followed was unbelievable.
Still like them though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join