It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wife-carrying competition UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
While wife-carrying is not a recognised Olympic sport, or even a Commonwealth sport (games going on as I write on the Gold Coast, Australia), but it does go on in Dorking, England. It also goes on in the Nordic countries, Australia and even the US amongst other places. In fact, wife-carrying originated in Finland, where bandits would steal women and run away with them into the forest, if the legends would have you believe.

Anyway, the UK championship has just been run, and won.

Information for competitors said: "You do not have to be married (to each other, anyway) but it certainly helps if you are at least friends."

UK wife-carrying contest 2018

The YouTube vid is from 2017.

Questions:

1. Should it be banned because the term "wife" may offend some people?
2. Should it be banned because it's just a little bit of fun?
3. blah, blah. All done in good taste.

edit on 8/4/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
We need more cheap events like that in our societies. People are usually social. Some people just want to live without social interaction, being introverts. I have not met one introvert that I could not get out of their box if I talked to them in person yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

. . . "wives" - who can be male or female . . .
www.bbc.co.uk...

I'll enter next year, if she carries me.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Can it be metaphoric, or just physical? LOL My knees wouldn't hold up! I think this is awesome, but you just wait, where there is fun, there is a soul-sucking-fun-hoover to try and kill it. We had a tiny village here that used to have little kids riding sheep in a race. No harm was done to anyone for 50 years until said fun-hoover waddled in and made a giant fuss. Instead of throwing it in the river, they cancelled the event.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If Mohamed was alive he would have won that easily

Joking of course

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wives are perfectly happy to be carried financially but the moment you throw them over the shoulder it is a no no..

Of course it will be banned once the feminist's have their outrage..

RA

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If it is fun, amusing, and the participants are having a good time then it will be banned.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Nice to see the event was well supported was sold out , congrats to Chris and Tanisha on their win.
This can only mean cheese rolling is on its way.... let the games begin !

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Lmao! That looks like loads of fun! And dang- that course looks hard! Those chaps are haulin'!
Probably someone will try to ban it for being offended at something, hopefully the tradition will continue.

Would love to see this in person

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We in the UK have a legacy of stupid competitions from the days before even the USA was around and probably they had a point even for it being to kept, people happy as theres cheese wheel chasing and other stuff such as "up the greasy pole for a leg of lamb" etc and given the cost of such items it would be worth it.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

It's got more resemblance to 'sport' than the Lawn Bowls match I saw today at the Commonwealth Games.

new topics

top topics

join