It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Apache crash. Sadly 2 crewman have been killed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
On Friday evening it was reported an Apache from the 101st Airborne Division, 101st Combat Aviation Brigade crashed killing both crewman.

They were training in a AH-64E Apache helicopter. The Guardian is one the most advanced apaches with a host upgraded systems and if memory serves me correct it took to service in 2012?

This being the 5 or 6 crash this week would to me be considered a crisis of some sort. But not to the pentagon.

Quote.
"Certainly, that's not normal and our response to it is not normal," but "I'm not prepared to say right now that it is some kind of crisis," Marine Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, director of the Joint Staff, said at a Pentagon briefing Thursday

So another sad incident. Thoughts ATS

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

It's too bad the military is so tight-lipped about WHY individual Navy ships, helicopters, airplanes, and jets are crashing.

But on second thought.. if the theories from Intel people are true, perhaps it's best that the military doesn't share what it knows with the public, or the troops.

edit on 4/8/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Covert war.

There's just too many "coincidences" as of late. But we won't know anything until it's over.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Am I correct in assuming you both a referring to an aggressor state/group are attacking US aircraft?

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

This being the 5 or 6 crash this week would to me be considered a crisis of some sort. But not to the pentagon.

A couple of days ago, on CNN, they stated that this was the 14th accident since the beginning of March. It almost seems as though they're missing something in training...

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Damn

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
www.washingtonexaminer.com...

I guess not all separate accidents, it's how many fatalities, but that's still a scary number, in such a short time, all training incidents..😕

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They're not. By the time the reports come out the average person has totally forgotten there was even a crash. The Air Force is required to release a report any time there is an investigation board, as long as the platform in question, or operating area isn't classified.
edit on 4/8/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I try to pay as much attention to planes and helicopters as much as possible. I was talking to a friend about the odd number of crashes recently. He thinks maybe the pilots are trying to get as much fly time as possible and rushing the maintenance crews. I honestly think it could be a maintenance issue.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Remember in Top Gun.. the encounter Maverick had with a Mig that was classified that the blonde kept nagging him about?

Probably a lot of that kind of stuff going on...

Charlie: Excuse me, Lieutenant. Is there something wrong?
Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate.
Charlie: How's that, Lieutenant?
Maverick: Well, I just happened to see a MiG 28 do a...

Goose: We!

Maverick: Uh, sorry Goose. WE happened to see a MiG 28 do a 4G negative dive.
Charlie: Where did you see this?
Maverick: Uh, that's classified.
Charlie: It's what?
Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?
Maverick: Well, WE...
Goose: Thank you.
Maverick: Started up on his six, when he pulled in through the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.
Iceman: [coughs whilst saying] Bull#.
Goose: No, he was, man, it was a really great move.

Charlie: You were in a 4G inverted dive with a Mig 28?
Maverick: Yes, ma'am.
Charlie: At what range?
Maverick: Um, about two meters.
Goose: It was actually about one and a half I think. It was one and a half. I've got a great Polaroid of it, and he's right there, must be one and a half.
Maverick: It was a nice picture.
Goose: Thanks.

Charlie: Eh, lieutenant, what were you doing there?
Goose: Communicating.
Maverick: Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations. You know, giving him the bird?
Goose: [Extending his middle finger] You know, the finger!
Charlie: Yes, I know the finger, Goose.
Goose: Sorry. I hate when it does that.
Charlie: [to Maverick] So you're the one.
Maverick: Yes, ma'am.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

The Air Force used to keep a library of AIB reports online, going back to 2004 or so. Most military papers publish at least a summary of the report when it's released.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It's never just one thing. In this case it's a combination of maintenance and flight time. Air Force pilots are averaging something like 9-12 hours a month, while Marine pilots are seeing a high of about 15 hours a month.

At the same time they've deferred Depot level maintenance, so readiness rates are dropping, parts are no longer available because they're not made anymore, and squadrons that are deploying am are taking aircraft from units that aren't to make sure they have enough flyable aircraft.

Believe it or not, accident rates currently aren't any higher than in some previous years. It's just that they're all happening at once instead of spread out over the year.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Killed in the crash were CWO3 Ryan Connolly, 37. He was an instructor pilot with the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade. Warrant Officer James Casadona, 28. He was a pilot with the 101st.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm thinking this one could easily be weather-related. This happened just down the road from me. I was amazed to hear they were flying a training mission during thunderstorms and high winds. We also had a mix of rain, sleet and snow coming down.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

With one of them being an instructor, it was probably a check ride, based on the experience listed for Warrant Casadona, so it very well may have been. Either weather, or NVG, or both.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
We are still wondering why they were flying in that weather...a flight of two went over my daughter's house about half an hour before the crash, heading toward the base (about 10-12 minutes away). At the time we had all kinds of active weather alerts for everything from severe thunderstorms/tornadoes to snow/sleet. We got a bit of all of it. She was surprised to hear them in that weather. I was on the phone with her when the dog erupted with a yearning yowl. He wanted to go outside to see the helicopters. They fascinate him. But it was much too cold, windy and sleety to venture out.

Thoughts and prayers to the families---we lost two good guys.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Weather probably got worse faster than they expected. They were probably out on the range, planning to be back before the weather was forecast to move in, and it moved in faster than forecast.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This looks like a weather related incident to me. Helicopters are notoriously bad weather flyers. The instructor pilot should have recognized the impending weather especially if freezing rain is forecasted. Freezing rain can add weight to an already weight sensitive aircraft very quickly! Freezing rain can alter the helicopters flight characteristics to a critical degree. Clear or rime icing is very dangerous to all aircraft not just helicopters and can make a successful autorotation impossible.

If this was, indeed, the problem then why not land. This is the best option in most weather circumstances.

The things military pilots and crews are required to do are dangerous in the best cases. My heart goes out to these guys for accepting the risk and challenges of protecting us. Their families and colleagues are victims as well. I have lost friends 50 years ago and it still hurts to see more young soldiers die in this manner. You never become callous to the losses. Many prayers to them and their families.

edit on 9-4-2018 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2018 by buddah6 because: Excellent pain meds and old age.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
RIP..

new topics

top topics

join