It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Chicken, Duck, Turkey Thread

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Have you sent a soil sample set in to the local ag extension or something? Your land is still the states land, as the kings deer roam through it. Im sure they'd be willing to give you results on sample. They do in Texas.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yeah, I won't even let the game warden patrol up here... no way in Hades I'd ever talk to the EPA! That would be like showing a thief the collection of Rolex watches you have sitting out unguarded.

Back to the turkeys... we got a better count today. She had 6 originally, and Tom stepped on one today... so we're down to 5 chicks. I tried to get a better pic... we'll see when I get it transferred over.

The other nest isn't looking so good. She got up to feed a while ago and she has two eggs left... and they don't look good... might be rotten. I'm not going to touch them for now until we're absolutely sure.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, I'm not gonna accept the "king's land" argument... folks around here are pretty serious about land ownership still. They cross onto my land, they're my deer, and the king can go suck eggs until he's big enough and bad enough to run me off. He's gonna need his Wheaties!

But no, I haven't sent a soil sample in yet. That might be a good idea; I'll check it out. If there are some leaking batteries or other contaminants in the old dump, that would show up.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
OK, second try at turkey pics... everyone get your UFO eyes on...

This one you can barely make out the chicks, one next to the shadow in front of the hen, and one off to her side just in front of her.

I zoomed this one in so maybe they're a little easier to see.

This one you might make out a couple over to her side.

I'm amazed at how tiny they are!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This is such a great thread! So many great stories!

I did want to mention, because of some of the aerial threats mentioned here, (hawks, owls, ect.) I do have an area, off the back of the pole barn, where I let them out every morning that has 8 foot fencing around it. It was the original run for them, with wire fencing, instead of chicken wire, buried 8 inches. We also have bird netting over the whole top. My birds still know that that area, is the "safe" area. We can be setting out in the back yard, and even if just a turkey buzzard flies over, they all run back to that area. It's pretty cool to watch.

Also, on ducks. One morning, thankfully in the summer so the windows were open, I heard the ducks just going off. Constant quacking. It isn't normal for them, once they get let out in the run. I went back out, to see what was going on, and there was a dang opossum, drinking out of their water! The ducks were circling it! It was crazy. I don't know why it wasn't going after the ducks, but it certainly missed it's opportunity, because I ran and got hubby and the gun. I figure it must have climbed the dog fence, then when I opened the gate to the smaller area, it walked right in.

You can get a really large bird net on amazon for like 50.00. It's been worth it, and has lasted several years so far, even with our MI winters.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

well , Im not sure how efficient the EPA are in the US, but in Scotland they are not too bad!

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

In tue US they just victimize regular folks. Invite them to look at something and you will end up with regulatory oversight on a multimillion dollar cleanup. To protect a lizard or something.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

thats terrible , using the protection of environment as a way to cash in on people !

profit before people and planet ! the worst business model ever !
well its bad for the customer great for the salesperson

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I have been reading that some deer ticks can be infected with Lyme Disease, do you know if this bacterial infection can be transferred to the chickens?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

My mum had a similar question as we have cows and sheep in our field and my mum wanted to know if chickens can contract lymes disease from other animals , the answer is only if the other animals blood is some how ingested by the chickens
so they wont get it from sharing a field !

they would only get lymes disease if the ticks had bitten the chickens the same way they infect other animals

Also there are no known cases of a human being infected by lymes disease from a chicken !

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Thank you for your reply, I am getting somewhat obsessed about this subject as I want to learn all about ways to avoid getting this disease for myself, others, and our animals.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
there are ways to prevent it , just make sure any grassy areas dont have tall grass above knee height as this is how ticks get themselves onto cows, sheep , goats and deer ! cut it at all down if its too high

my dog meisha she is a pug/chihuahua cross or CHUG for short we took them up Rob Roy way , at glen finglas in scotland and she got a tick in her from the long grass as she was chasing the sheep
I got it out with needle nose pliers and a lighter

check your animals for ticks daily!

just remain vigilant

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I'm not a biochemist, but I don't think so. There are fairly large differences between birds and mammals. That actually seems to be one big reason that chicken/turkey is less of a problem with cholesterol levels than pork and beef. The cholesterol in bird meat is incompatible with human (mammal) physiology and must be converted more.

Also, a chicken's digestive system is pretty simplistic. Anything not edible simply passes though the gullet and comes out the other end (somewhat worse for wear, lol). Anything absorbed, like in any digestive system, is not absorbed as a unit, but as molecular components. Lyme Disease is transmitted by saliva -> blood contact, and such contact does not exist in a normal digestive tract.

Along the same vein, rattlesnake venom is harmless to a healthy digestive system if consumed. Any ulcer that allows direct blood supply contact could be fatal, so never drink rattlesnake venom! That's not the point of that statement. The point is that a complex molecule like a virus cannot be absorbed... it must either infect by entering the blood supply or it must do it's misdeeds in whatever environment it survives in (as in, airborne diseases usually infect the lungs).

I will also say that I believe Lyme Disease, while a serious disease, is somewhat overblown in the media. I have lived here pretty much all my life, and ticks thrive in this area. If I had a dime for every tick bite I have had, that would be a whole lot of dimes! Yet, I have never had a problem with Lyme Disease, not has anyone I know.

We also have mosquitoes (skeeters) big enough to stand flat-footed and molest a chicken. Yet, I have never had a skeeter-borne disease, nor has anyone I know. So we don't worry about it, other than to try and kill the buggers every chance we get. They're a serious pest!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Well I've been researching my battle plan for dealing with and removing ticks from people and pets.

So, please let me know what you think of this natural recipe for killing or controlling ticks:

Soak chewing tobacco in a large jug of water to make a tea.
Mix 1 part tea with 10 parts water.
Add 1 part yellow Listerine (found in mouthwash - yellow is the 'lister' that we want).
Add two squirts of dish soap.
Add 1/2 cup ammonia.
Spray yard to edge of wooded areas every other month.

Also use diatomaceous earth on the edges of the wooded areas.

I am also reading that the chemical 'permethrin' is supposedly a very harmful chemical to mammals.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

It depends on your level of infestation.

At the height of ours, where it was nothing to find 50 ticks per person per night, we were spraying everything we could think of to kill them and burning off large areas of the yard. Nothing stopped them. At best, the level would drop to 20 ticks per person per day for a couple of weeks and then go back up. None of it affected how many got on the dogs at all, since they run through the woods at will.

A few chickens added in, and the ticks were back to manageable levels after a couple of weeks, and gone within a couple of months... spider population was down to almost nothing that fall... scorpions were practically nonexistent as well.

In order to eradicate the ticks, you would have to eradicate ticks everywhere any mammal that crosses into your yard goes. They latch on to whatever mammal comes by and drop off after sucking the blood. The blood is used to reproduce, so when they drop off you have thousands of eggs ready to hatch. Any solution you put together (and that one does sound good) will have to be reapplied every two weeks at least, probably at least for years, maybe for ever.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yes, tall grass seems to be the problem, so everyone out there, beware of what jumps on to you...out there.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join