It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department Of Homeland Security Compiling Database Of Journalists And 'Media Influencers'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

How is the media not the single biggest threat to freedom we have right now?

If you think that the media threatens your freedom without Government complicity then I cannot help you.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
And yet only a few posts into this thread and partisanship starts up. Your Republic is moving into its final death throes.

When will you reclaim your Republic instead of being divided?

Speaking only for myself, you are absolutely right. Sometimes the bitterness is palpable, aided by the almost irresistible temptation to throw recently won political brownie points in the other party's collective faces. And you couldn't be more right about the Republic, and the partisan division nonsense that is allowing this disintegration

I have no doubt our nation will continue to exist in one form or another, but what will it look like? Our ability to pull together in the present is of paramount importance. I don't think either side would argue that we are at a tipping point in our history, perhaps unlike any we've seen since our civil war.

But with technology being what it is (with instant communication, results, etc), it need not progress to such an extremely destructive state. A simple act of compromise is all that is needed. And one can absolutely compromise without compromising their values/ideals. All we have to do is agree not to trample on one another's rights just because we may not like/agree with them. To let others live their lives how they see fit, without undue interference from any of us (and vice versa).
edit on 4/6/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Good points; there does however need a wind back of legislation that has restricted the rights of the citizens since 911

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
"media professionals and influencers".

That doesn't mean the press. At least, it shouldn't mean the press. Not the real press. Not honest reporters providing factual information instead of manufactured news parcels.

To me, there's a line between media professionals, influencers, and actual reporters and editors. Media professionals could be a group of graphic designers. Media influencers could be promoted YouTubers.

All that said... we've had a couple chats around here about if and how news media could be regulated properly without trampling their rights but still holding them accountable and honest. I don't think those talks ever went anywhere. It's a tough issue. And anyone talking like they have a solution is wrong in some way.

One thing I do know, nobody should be allowed to provide misleading information, spin, lies, or unverified information as fact. There should be punishment for that. Maybe three strikes per reporter. (like reporters are actually reporters any more though). Maybe three strikes per editor, maybe per corporation, maybe per paid and packaged parcel... Who knows?

It's wrong. It should be stopped. It shouldn't be slanted one way or the other about anything. Leave the facts for the news and everything else for editorials. Or something. I don't know. I don't have the answers. And neither do you.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why don't they just get it from the NSA or Google?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I could not agree more

Absolutely ridiculous the amount of civil liberties infringed upon for the illusory concept of "safety."

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
... and so it begins. Wonder if this site is on the radar. Pretty sure that answers itself as a yes. Especially for the high content contributors.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
We should sh!t can all the fake news and just rely on Trumps tweets. That's all we need to know.

Keep Alex Jones...I don't think we can stand another invasion of gay frogs. Thank God he warned us....

drama queen much?

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm going to take a guess that intel agencies have been having to spend millions per year just to maintain some semblance of "nothing to see here" within the media-scape and now with the ramping up of the propaganda machine, they need to take further control of ensure "national safety".

I have never been in to guns and think the mass shootings are tragic, but I support the 2nd amendment even though most would consider me a leftist.

I am personally aghast that there are people here who think the government should be trying to control the media even further. I am guessing many you are just hoping this will only effect "liberal" sources, when everyone of us should be concerned about the government controlling what information we get to hear.

If this happened under Obama, I can't imagine the madness that would be unleashed on ATS.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Only on ATS would this be construed as a good thing.

Just wait until beloved FOX or InfoWars hits that list, suddenly, it'll be all about censorship, book burners, cultural Marxism, etc etc

We should definitely trust the government to decide on what I, a consenting and free adult, choose to read as my news! It's too hard for my feeble brain to do so on my own, and I have my benevolent and small government to do it for me!

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Only on ATS would this be construed as a good thing.

Just wait until beloved FOX or InfoWars hits that list, suddenly, it'll be all about censorship, book burners, cultural Marxism, etc etc

We should definitely trust the government to decide on what I, a consenting and free adult, choose to read as my news! It's too hard for my feeble brain to do so on my own, and I have my benevolent and small government to do it for me!

But you trust a party to dictate to you what is and isn't fake news.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join