It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, my brother just informed me he's a Freemason...should I be concerned?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

Honestly, might be a good chance for you to get to know your bro a little more if you're at all interested in that. You might even like to join him someday!

-Alee

Sounds like some solid advice. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I keep pestering Augustus in PM--maybe it'll pay off someday.

You want a couple of petition-signers, homeslice?

Network and I accept Bourbon, Scotch and cigars as compensation. You'll be in like Flynn at that point and drowning in baby meat.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
You: I am worried about brother being allowed into this club that requires some pretty high quality expectations

Him: I am worried about brother spending time in conspiracy forums believing in all sorts of crazy stuff about illuminati, reptilians, moon men, space nazis, flat earth, etc.

Who has the more valid concern?

High quality expectations? Hah
The whole freemason thing is a sick joke. In onder to be a member, you have to believe in a god that you cant prove. Sounds like a pretty ignorant club.
There is probably more evidence for the conspiracies that you listed than there is for a god.
edit on 6-4-2018 by Thoseaintcontrails because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego

originally posted by: dug88
So something that's always confused me. Are Freemasons actually masons? Like do they know masonry? Im assuming they might have been at one point?

Originally, yes. They were really masons and knew the craft very well. They also gave spiritual meaning to the use of the tools.
At that time they can be compare with a workers union. They protected each other and share a knowledge on how to build and construct.
The term freemason came because some of them were travelers, and in most places they did not have to pay taxes, so they were free (free of paying taxes) masons.

Ok cool. I though maybe it was something along those lines but i've never really been to sure. Im guessing the actual masonry part has kinda taken more of a backseat these days though?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There's no such thing as a Freemason.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
There's no such thing as a Freemason.

Explain yourself.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

I think he means a mason who works for free.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I probably know the answer, but is Friday let's play a bit.

Do you get paid to be a mason?
I must be in the wrong lodge then.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
Do you get paid to be a mason?
I must be in the wrong lodge then.

No, unless you want to count the perks like never having to pay a speeding ticket, free beer and not having to wear pants in public.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mytquin

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

a reply to: mytquin

The only concern you have now is sucking up to dear brother to get your own membership. I keep pestering Augustus in PM--maybe it'll pay off someday

Yeah, my dad was a mason. Had a real nice gold ring with diamonds in the shape of a compass with a G in the middle.

Never asked me to join or brought me in, however it works. See?

I wonder what happened to that ring?

Interesting that he never asked you to join.

Masons will not ask you to join. You must ask them. In other words, you must be interested enough to ask. Otherwise, you might only be joining to please another or because you felt pressured, etc. A Mason might bring up the subject, share their good deeds, etc., but, he will never ask you to join. It must be of your own free will.

SonofaSkunk and Master Mason

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm not counting those, those are bonuses.

Cheers brother.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonofaSkunk

The only concern you have now is sucking up to dear brother to get your own membership. I keep pestering Augustus in PM--maybe it'll pay off someday

Yeah, my dad was a mason. Had a real nice gold ring with diamonds in the shape of a compass with a G in the middle.

Masons will not ask you to join. You must ask them. In other words, you must be interested enough to ask. Otherwise, you might only be joining to please another or because you felt pressured, etc. A Mason might bring up the subject, share their good deeds, etc., but, he will never ask you to join. It must be of your own free will.

SonofaSkunk and Master Mason

That makes sense. I can understand that.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You: I am worried about brother being allowed into this club that requires some pretty high quality expectations

Him: I am worried about brother spending time in conspiracy forums believing in all sorts of crazy stuff about illuminati, reptilians, moon men, space nazis, flat earth, etc.

And yet you are spending time on a conspiracy site...

Yes, I am worried about myself

I am not casting stones at peoples clubs and hobbies so long as they aren't harming other people. pretty simple.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoseaintcontrails

The whole freemason thing is a sick joke. In onder to be a member, you have to believe in a god that you cant prove. Sounds like a pretty ignorant club.
There is probably more evidence for the conspiracies that you listed than there is for a god.

Well belief in some sort of greater being is one of several things you need to have in order to be considered..then there are symbolic degrees and all sorts.

I did say SOME high quality expectations btw.

You seem a bit mad. you mad bro?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoseaintcontrails

Well belief in some sort of greater being is one of several things you need to have in order to be considered..then there are symbolic degrees and all sorts.

I did say SOME high quality expectations btw.

You seem a bit mad. you mad bro?

They give the god belief qualification because they want conformists and non thinkers. I dont know why anyone would want to be affiliated with moon hoaxer freemasons.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Free beer?

Did you say free beer?

Hmmm...

There may be more to this FreeMason thing than I first thought...

Everything's better with free beer!!

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hahaaha...

My grand father was a 32 degree scottish rite freemason. He owed a food store in Virginia. He was the best to me ...and very meek. Nothing weird that I can remember all the years I new him. I was left his ring ...and a big red scottish rite freemason book, among other things when he passed. The book made no sense to me ...I have it tucked away in a cedar chest at my house...it's really old.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lassiecomehome

I'm not all that familiar with the Masons, as I'm not one.

But I do know a half dozen or so, and they're all good people. That's not including the one's I know, at least a little, here on ATS...they're just weird. Don't tell 'em I said so though.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hahahha...they are like bigfoot ..even if you've seen one ...and try to describe it to others..you still don't know what it is!! They keep their secret real good...so that's why folks wonder

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well for one, he died when I was 17 and we didn't have much contact since I was about 6 till 15.

But I remember that ring like yesterday.

My brother or uncle probably swiped it, like everything else.

They are both gone too so I can't track it down now.

Should have when I had the chance in the past 40yrs.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join