It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gap in EF2000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Can someone tell me why there is a gap inbetween the intake and cockpit on the Typhoon? I have tried to demonstrate where I mean in the below picture:

Wouldn't it have been easier to have the top of it being the bottom of the cockpit? Is there a reason for this?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its something to do with directing airflow into the engine at high AoA's rather than it just flowing up and around the fuselage, but I'm not familiar enough with the technicalities to go into detail I'm afraid. The F-16 has a similar arrangement.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Same reason the F-16, Global Hawk and many, many others sepatare the intake away from the fuselage, so the intake ingests undisturbed flow. Take a look at most modern A/C and you'll notice the same, undisturbed or at the least laminar and evenly distributed flow, is a very good thing for the compressor face.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by burntrock]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Not just modern aircraft either... the "Splitter Plates" on the F4 Phantom intakes are the size of barn doors

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
'Boundary layer' control and ensuring optimum 'flow dynamics' into the engine intake is what it's all about I think you'll find.

As others have said it is a feature apparant on other aircraft and for much the same reason.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join