It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD video shows moments before cops fatally shoot bipolar man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is a case of a person with an item in his hand and everyone assumes it is a gun. He did walk around doing gun like maneuvers with a shower head, but should that be a death penalty. I bring this up because we keep seeing cases where the cops assume the person is armed and do not do the due diligence to actually make sure before they pull the trigger to kill, and the amount of time they put into understanding the situation can be seconds before the decision is made to kill where if they actually put in just small amount more of time then they would quickly see that the person does not have a gun, or is not actually harming anyone.

Fatal Shooting

edit on 5-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Lemme see if i get this right..

You actually watched the video clips in your source and you are blaiming the police?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Lemme see if i get this right..

You actually watched the video clips in your source and you are blaiming the police?

I guess you missed my point in it seems cops shoot to kill very quickly without truly understanding the situation. In this case a crazy guy was running around play acting like he is shooting people, but never actually fires anything or hurts anyone...

I'm asking if this justification to kill him...it wouldn't take very long to see that he is not holding a gun but a shower head as example...AND most importantly he been running around for awhile and never actually did anything to anyone.

edit on 5-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you look at my past thread history here, you'll see that I am very harsh on Cops overacting and killing and murdering people. The cops in the US are out of control. Having said that, after watching the video...the cops were justified in this shooting...they didn't know. It looked like a gun to me on the footage and split second he points that at the cops just like he would have a gun. That's justified.

In the climate in America, and it's the cops fault, we don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore, because so many of them are "above the law" and kill without a second though. The Cigarette guy comes to mind. The guy they shot in the back running away comes to mind. The exterminator guy in the hallway comes to mind. All of those were straight murder.

This one is different. And we wouldn't even be having this discussion if cops werent' out of control overall. This one is justified.
edit on 5-4-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
We call this suicide by cop. A well known phenomena that will get little for the family. 3 Calls or more about a man with a gun.

I had a renter that was bipolar and was nice as could be but every now and then off with the cloths wherever she might be and any man any time.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

That was in no way the Cops fault with this one. Sure looked like a gun to me. People who called into the police described it as a gun as well. Sorry he died but it's not like they didn't have reason to shoot. Easy to second guess when you are not the one having something that looks like a gun pointed at you in a threatening manner.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I suffer from this illness and have never gone and done this sort of behavior or been shot by the police. I don't think bipolar played a role in this.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Do you personally have issues with cops??

Throwing that he has a mental issue in the title, like the cops should know.

Unless you want people with mental illness to have to get a tattoo or wear a symbol on their clothes? If not, how do you expect the cops to know that someone is crazy?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

the police were justified in this incident.
the 911 caller said the suspect had a firearm
the police had no choice but to react to the situation as it happened.
the police have a tough job to do. they deal with the worst people of our society. they are criticized over and over for simply doing their job.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I'd have to agree. The cops are way out of control in this country. They commit rape and murder on the regular with no consequences.

This does not look like one of those cases. This item looks VERY much like a handgun, and he aims the object in an incredibly aggressive manner, as though he plans to fire immediately. This person is aware that what he is doing looks very much like he is threatening people with a handgun. If this is a person with a serious psychiatric condition, it is a sad outcome, but not the fault of the officer.

This is suicide by cop and I would not fault the cop for this instance, if the cop wasn't aware of the full situation.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
totally justified imo , ida probably pulled my firearm if he would have done that to me on the street . esp if my child was with me. play stupid games , win stupid prizes.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

the police have a tough job to do. they deal with the worst people of our society. they are criticized over and over for simply doing their job.

Thank you you're right on the nose here. I'm sick of hearing about some guy on a dark back road somewhere was shot by police. He was armed only with a cell phone. Guess what when the police ask you to step out of your car and the first thing you do is reach across the seat to get their phone. Should they wait until one of them gets shot to make sure it's not a phone? Just get out of the damn car. If they say show me your hands put your EMPTY hands up and leave them there until told to do otherwise. You're in a traffic stop YOU DON'T NEED YOUR PHONE.

It's really easy to not get shot by a cop. DO WHAT EVER THEY TELL YOU TO DO THE FIRST TIME THEY SAY IT. As far as I'm concerned if a person runs from cops it's open season. They are not running for no reason, and they are not running because they're scared.
edit on 4/5/2018 by MikeA because: Spell check changed a word

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
BS, Police are always reposonisble.

They never shoot in the legs or arms, they shoot in the body because they can't even aim.

And why they don't weak kevlar vests if they are scared of getting shot so much?

I don't care even if that was a toy gun, or a real gun. The person has to shoot first with bullets then the police to shoot him.

Anything else is just idiot police that can shoot whoever they want and then say it was ok cos it looked like he has a gun.

And the best part ? I can go in the use and shoot whoever i want whenever i want just because i feel threatened by them. You trying to rob me ? I kill you! You have a gun? I shoot you imediately because i feel threatened. You have a knife ? Headshot. This is what USA really is.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
And yes, this is what everyone things about USA outside it. People who want to shoot others purposly go there because this is what they have ever heard about it.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA

originally posted by: subfab

Thank you you're right on the nose here. I'm sick of hearing about some guy on a dark back road somewhere was shot by police. He was armed only with a cell phone. Guess what when the police ask you to step out of your car and the first thing you do is reach across the seat to get their phone. Should they wait until one of them gets shot to make sure it's not a phone? Just get out of the damn car. If they say show me your hands put your EMPTY hands up and leave them there until told to do otherwise. You're in a traffic stop YOU DON'T NEED YOUR PHONE.

It's really easy to not get shot by a cop. DO WHAT EVER THEY TELL YOU TO DO THE FIRST TIME THEY SAY IT. As far as I'm concerned if a person runs from cops it's open season. They are not running for no reason, and they are not running because they're scared.

if the police tells you to shoot yourself in the head to look like a suicide, would you do it?

The USA police are arogant bastards who thing everyone should do as they say because they are THE police.

Get out of dreamland and see the reallity! The police does whatever they want whenevr they want it, and no one is stiopping them.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

It's really easy to not get shot by a cop. DO WHAT EVEN THEY TELL YOU TO DO THE FIRST TIME THEY SAY IT. As far as I'm concerned if a person runs from cops it's open season. They are not running for no reason, and they are not running because they're scared.

Usually. There are those times though... as in the recent Arizona case where the officer ordered the kid to do an impossible game of simon says, and crawl across the floor with his hands in the air, and then shot the kid for staggering and touching his waistband reflexively. We are not talking about a person as in this ridiculous video for this tread, where the guy clearly was simulating having a gun.

There are other cases where the police officer is fully in the wrong, treating calm and compliant citizens like garbage, and then executing them for making reflexive mistakes. Problems where officers are just either so paralyzed and overcome by fear they have no business being an officer, or they have contempt for the public... and have no business being an officer.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I think you picked the wrong example to use for what you want to discuss. That particular shooting was more than justified.

I agree they should be certain, but should never put their own lives at risk to do so. It's also true that the incidents that would justify your topic are extremely rare out of the millions of interactions a year they have with people who may just kill them. Most of the criticism is unfounded if you go back through the cop hating threads and view them with an honest eye. Rarely there is a valid case.

I ignore an officer and then reach in my pocket and turn towards them, I deserve to be shot. They have no duty to wait until they are shot at to respond.

What happens when officers hands are so tied, the job becomes so dangerous there is nobody willing to put on a badge. I often wonder why cops in inner cities don't all quit. Perhaps its that reality that leads to some bad cops slipping between the cracks.
edit on 4/5/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think everyone has different meaing of justified. You can't justify the murder of a person pretending to have a gun and pretending to shoot people.

Pretending isnt real, no matter how much real it looks.

They should hire only people with normal inteligence and not people with 90 - IQ who all they know is to shoot whoever even rmotely looks dangerous.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone
BS, Police are always reposonisble.

They never shoot in the legs or arms, they shoot in the body because they can't even aim.

And why they don't weak kevlar vests if they are scared of getting shot so much?

I don't care even if that was a toy gun, or a real gun. The person has to shoot first with bullets then the police to shoot him.

Anything else is just idiot police that can shoot whoever they want and then say it was ok cos it looked like he has a gun.

And the best part ? I can go in the use and shoot whoever i want whenever i want just because i feel threatened by them. You trying to rob me ? I kill you! You have a gun? I shoot you imediately because i feel threatened. You have a knife ? Headshot. This is what USA really is.

Wow you truly are out of touch with reality. Just so you know COPS DO WEAR KEVLAR. A leg or arm shot on a moving target while you are moving as well. A man with a gun points it at you and your just going to stand there and wait to see if he shoots, yeah right. You shoot him in the leg he can still shoot you in the face . Kevlar only protect the body, and cops are Not robots. They are people just like you. They have family's just like you. They have the right to defend themselves and go home to that family JUST LIKE YOU!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The only alternative would be to allow the perp to shoot first and hope the cops are wearing armor which would unacceptable because vests are hot in summer and cops want to go home at end of shift.

Whether you're crazy or not when you disobey a leo you risk your life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join