It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking:Faster Than Light Particles Observed at CERN(April Fools Joke)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Source

Scientists said on Thursday they recorded particles travelling faster than light - a finding that could overturn one of Einstein's fundamental laws of the universe. Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the international group of researchers, saidthat measurements taken over three years showed neutrinos pumped from CERN near Geneva to Gran Sasso in Italy had arrived 60 nanoseconds quicker than light would have done

Could it be that at a certain, fundamental level, that particles of a certain type may be able to travel faster than light, because certain rules of the world you and I jnow are merely emergent properties of an as-of-yet discovered mechanism of physics that does not comport with the standard model predictions of the quantum world?

It's an interesting idea. It must be asked because everywhere we look the laws of physics comport with the 'c'.

EDIT:

I got nailed by an April Fools joke.

Hah! I thought I was free being the 5th. lol

edit on 5 4 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Source

Scientists said on Thursday they recorded particles travelling faster than light - a finding that could overturn one of Einstein's fundamental laws of the universe. Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the international group of researchers, saidthat measurements taken over three years showed neutrinos pumped from CERN near Geneva to Gran Sasso in Italy had arrived 60 nanoseconds quicker than light would have done

Could it be that at a certain, fundamental level, that particles of a certain type may be able to travel faster than light, because certain rules of the world you and I jnow are merely emergent properties of an as-of-yet discovered mechanism of physics that does not comport with the standard model predictions of the quantum world?

It's an interesting idea. It must be asked because everywhere we look the laws of physics comport with the 'c'.

The really weird thing is that the measured neutrones goes faster than light ONLY ONCE a year.

You know, on April 1st.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Uh, did you notice the date of the article?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Source

The really weird thing is that the measured neutrones goes faster than light ONLY ONCE a year.

You know, on April 1st.

yeah, the date they are allowed to tell the truth and the military won't kill them.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I can't read the article. What particle? Is it lighter than light?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It was supposedly getting to the detector 60 ns before it should have. And the article is on April 1. At CERN website, they had a "Humpty Dumpty" particle "find" story up. On April 2, they came back and said, "Did you like our April Fool's Day joke?" in case you didn't get it. Same here.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

C'mon - you know the rules about April fools day - did they discover it before or after midday? Also, have you seen the strange sh!t that goes on inside and outside of that joint?

"Hmmm, lets build a gigantic electromagnet-thingy and play with it - don't worry, nothing will go wrong or be weird"

Crazytown.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Come on! Fall for this stuff on April 1st. I totally wasn't expecting this to be a 4-day old April Fool's joke and I got all excited and ready to nerd the hell out before I noticed the date.

Damn you.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

How much faster than the speed of light is that? What is the warp factor?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Come on! Fall for this stuff on April 1st. I totally wasn't expecting this to be a 4-day old April Fool's joke and I got all excited and ready to nerd the hell out before I noticed the date.

Damn you.

It took me a minute, and then I finally realized what that must look like:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Thank you. Shining Knight in a Shining Armor with a Shining Sword and a Shining Helmet and Shining Gloves...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Damn you.

It took me a minute, and then I finally realized what that must look like:

High 5 brother

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Source

With ocean waves and desert dunes, smaller waves and ripples travel faster than larger ones. We can consider those ripples going around water draining down a plughole as equivalent to a gravity waves around a black hole. So something smaller than a photon could travel faster than a photon.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: darepairman

I'm just wondering if the diapers come like that, or if he has to put the My Little Pony stickers on them one by one. Hopefully when Ante has his big boy pants back on he'll be brave and tell us the secret.

edit on 5-4-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: darepairman

I'm just wondering if the diapers come like that, or if he has to put the My Little Pony stickers on them one by one. Hopefully when Ante has his big boy pants back on he'll be brave and tell us the secret.

I am sorry man but why you looking that close

edit on 5-4-2018 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Damn it they got me EHHHH

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Pffft, my room is Voltron themed.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Damn you.

I thought I was free from being caught up in this garbage on the 5th.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Voltron?!?

Shouldnt you be playing with TRANSformers?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join