It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Amendment is Not Enough

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Soooo... ATS has no right to censor the posts on its website? I mean, I agree with you in principle, but in practice it becomes a bit hard. I don't allow my children to swear in my house. Is that really censorship? The line is fine. We should all be free to express ourselves. So I dunno. I'm an Anarchist, but I am still a practical man. Some rules exist for a reason, I suppose.

Of course they have the right. It is their company, their boards, their property. Whether it is right or wrong is the question.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's just called free speech. "Unlimited free speech" is an authoritarian misrepresentation.

Call it a banana cream pie, the Founders still had it right in the Constitution.

They should have mentioned banana cream pie. So long as it wasn't a prohibition on it, anyway.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I updated my comment to call out more of your silliness, if you wanted to know.

Do yourself a favor: Go back and re-read every one of your comments on here--the majority, if not all, are all childish responses to people mostly making logical points, or at least rational ones.

And please, pray tell--what are my principles, since you believe that you know me so well?

I'll wait, because this is actually getting amusing at this point...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
They should have mentioned banana cream pie. So long as it wasn't a prohibition on it, anyway.

They actually do in the original draft version we have in my lodge's basement.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Whether it is right or wrong is the question.

So? Is it right or wrong for Bill, Mark and Steve to prohibit profanity and other behavior on their website?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I updated my comment to call out more of your silliness, if you wanted to know.

Do yourself a favor: Go back and re-read every one of your comments on here--the majority, if not all, are all childish responses to people mostly making logical points, or at least rational ones.

And please, pray tell--what are my principles, since you believe that you know me so well?

I'll wait, because this is actually getting amusing at this point...

I was commenting on the promise you made to your wife, not to mention your refusal to discuss the topic, and the 6 times you've said bye. Yet here you are. Go read your own posts.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So? Is it right or wrong for Bill, Mark and Steve to prohibit profanity and other behavior on their website?

It is wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Whether it is right or wrong is the question.

It is wrong to do something with something you own that prevents other people, who do not own said "thing," from doing whatever they feel like doing with the thing they don't own, but you do own.

Because that's freedom, dammit.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It is wrong.

Say you invite a guest to your house and he calls you a highly proficient consumer of male reproductive organs, would you high five him, ask him to leave or do something else and why?

edit on 5-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

It is wrong to do something with something you own that prevents other people, who do not own said "thing," from doing whatever they feel like doing with the thing they don't own, but you do own.

Because that's freedom, dammit.

Hellz to the 'Murica! Let's go *pew* *pew* some shizz now.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Say you invite a guest to your house and he calls you a highly proficient consumer of male reproductive organs, would you high five him, ask him to leave or something else and why?

First I'd prove him wrong, then I'd return the favor.

What would you do?
edit on 5-4-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

First I'd prove him wrong, then I'd return the favor.

So you'd demonstrate your lack of proficiency and then call him names in return? Seems kinda bizarre and childish if you ask me.

What would you do?

I don't normally have douche bags over to my house but if one did manifest he'd be shown the exit.

edit on 5-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Ah, yes, but then you keep one-upping the ridiculousness in your comments to me and other people, so I decided to stick to one of my other principles of not letting willful ignorance go unchecked.

No, that's not an ad hominem.

As for my promise, it was specifically about Facebook...I made the personal decision to try and spread it out amongst other sites that I visit as well. But I just can't help myself in the face of such goofy behavior that should have been changed a long time ago. Maybe it's the parenting part of me, but when confronted with such immature behavior, I have a tendency to try to rectify it.

It's a curse. But don't worry, I'm off to do things that actually matter in real life, so you have yourself a great rest of the day.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

edit on 5-4-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

So you'd demonstrate your lack of proficiency and then call him names in return? Seems kinda bizarre and childish if you ask me.

Why anyone would wear a fedora after 1980 seems bizarre to me, but hey that's how opinions work.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If anybody wants a copy of the gif that has more than 16 pixels in it, here:

edit on 5-4-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

If anybody want's a copy of the gif that has more than 16 pixels in it, here:

I was looking for that.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Why anyone would wear a fedora after 1980 seems bizarre to me, but hey that's how opinions work.

Stunted sense of fashion I suppose but I can take my hat off, you're stuck with a guy telling you you're good at something and you having to prove him wrong and then call him names in return.

What if he then begins to make extremely suggestive comments to your life partner, whist still in your humble abode, that causes them to become uncomfortable? How do you handle that?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Free speech is a good thing and like all good things when they are abused, at some point it becomes impossible to have a civilized society without setting some allowable norms. We live in the real world, not a theoretical one where it's all daisy's and clover with no cow pies to trip over. Speech can and does harm people, start wars, enslave people, cause mentally unstable people to commit horrific acts and cause emotional harm. Where does the speakers right to speak end and the unwilling listeners right begin?

How do you feel about the right of association?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Stunted sense of fashion I suppose but I can take my hat off, you're stuck with a guy telling you you're good at something and you having to prove him wrong and then call him names in return.

What if he then begins to make extremely suggestive comments to your life partner, whist still in your humble abode, that causes them to become uncomfortable? How do you handle that?

I use language to defeat language.

How would you handle it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join