It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Colored people' remark prompts DNC member's departure

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

That's why we're laughing. I can just imagine this guy saying it, pausing for a moment, and saying "well, guess I'm resigning now."

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Obligatory reminder that an actual self-described Nazi is the Republican Party candidate in Illinois.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I have to say.........this is VERY confusing!

I mean, at the Universities and Colleges, they sponsor seminars and courses and such that are advertized as for "People of Color" and such. If its PC to refer to non-whites as "People of Color" why would it be anti-PC to refer to non-whites as "Colored"?

For my part I simply don't refer to them in any way; I can't keep up with the current PC terminology.

And after all, the Democrat Party is the party all for and about POC's, its the "Colored" party, or the "Party of Color", and that makes it particularly weird to me that this guy would be thrown out the DNC for referring to the Parties base.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
He made a mistake and copped to it. There's a story here? Other than someone is willing to take responsibility for an error?

That's the point. No error was made.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: amazing
I think everyone should leave the DNC and the RNC to be fair. Let's start living by our own principles and get out of the corporate agenda driven clubs like these.

Biggest growing voting block is Independent's people are leaving them, but they still vote for them out of habit, hopefully folks realize you cant just leave them you have to vote against them.

Agreed. We have plenty of third party options.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: MostlyReading

Only difference is one is considered derogatory and the other is not. Why that is I'm not sure.

Probably cause most people are #in stupid

My guess is because that was a term used in the bad old days. Before the term "black" was used.

I ordered a Black Label beer off a black fellow a few years ago. He informed me (jokingly), that the proper term is "coloured label".

This political correctness is silly. I have a son who is FirstNations/Indian/Indigenous/native/etc, and I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to call him. That side of the family just calls themselves Indians.

I have moccasins given to me from his Grandma, and it's considered cultural appropriation when I wear them now 🙄

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thats why I say black guy or girl. Dark skinned or light skinned person.

Example:
"Thats Henry, the light skinned black guy with glasses." Or "wow, thats a thick PAWG, do you think a black guy would notice her Henry?"

edit on 4 5 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Unless you're a native our families all came from somewhere else. I hate the terms as well. Just look at "African American". It's inaccurate as hell, unless you were born in Africa. Which makes my Chinese doctor an African Canadian because she is from South Africa.

Charlize Theron is also African American in all her blonde whiteness....

And we don't say African Canadian, so we're stuck with other descriptive terms, such as "that guy with the really dark brown eyes....."

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Lol “a state committee man” no one has heard of...likely one of 2000 nationally...

Suprise suprise..

The right wing media pretending like the opinions of every random joe blow is the de facto stance for everyone not a conservative...

How y’all fall for this garbage I will never know..

Half of every conservative site on the planet is just this right here..

Random nobodies they pretend are spokesmen for their political opponents.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Yea, that works.

Here in Texas, POC's are referred to by many simply as "Democrats".

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
its probably only bad because he is a person of white

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
How, exactly, does that end up in the arsenal of vernacular that someone uses in their toolkit?

Maybe he meant "people of color" which is perfectly acceptable. It's sad when a slip of this nature is news. Then again this is xuen so it's expected. Still not discussion worthy.

You just highlighted exactly how stupid it all is. Thanks for that.

Just re-arrange, add in "of" and presto-chango!!!

That's crazy.
People of color is fine. Colored people not so much. It's the same thing.

A) # this dude
B) were any of you that are oh so aghast about this comment aghast when another someone called a bunch of people bad hombres?
Or when that same guy said that demographic was great at climbing walls?

Just checking and fat man I'm not talking about you

I'm just dumbfounded at how it can be considered racist or offensive to say "colored people" when their primary national activist collective is the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People." Is this another one of those humorous little "that is our word for us" BS examples, or are some folks in this country really this goddamned stupid?

As for your point B, None of this offends me in any way. A politician could start dropping N bombs or talk about honkies and crackers and so long as they lowered my taxes, left my freedoms alone, and left me alone I'd happily vote for them with no concerns. I don't dance to this idiotic modern tune of who we should coddle by feigning outrage over simple words.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yes Watson, there are dumbies among us !!

"dummies"

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

a reply to: MostlyReading

Only difference is one is considered derogatory and the other is not. Why that is I'm not sure.

Probably cause most people are #in stupid

My guess?

Because 'colored' and 'colored people' were used as insults as far back as slavery in America. Taking the term and rearranging it to 'People of Color' is some sort of "reclaimation(?)" of it to make it more acceptable? That's all I got. It's still effing stupid for one to be wrong and the other acceptable. Just as ridiculous as PoC being able to use the n-word without any racist undertones, or for gays to use the f-word amongst themselves but no one else can.

This world is so messed up at this point. I don't think there's any going back to normalcy.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Seems so to me. Not sure what the hoopla is all about...

Pretty much a non story.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Another perfect example of the Lions and the Rabbits (the r-selections and the K-selections and gene wars) - this cess-pit of pathetic beta males is driving the crazy train all the way to oblivion.

This reminds me of the dickhead elected to represent Canadians and his pathetic attempt at group-think with anyone low-information enough to accept his crap.

The DNC rep should have referred to them using that word that they always use to refer to each other - ni**ers.

**NB: If anyone is offended by that, then tough-sh!t - its a big bad world out there away from the propaganda and into reality.

and yanks actually want this party representing them? Sorry - but this party is so far removed from what it means to be 'American' that they may as well be from another planet altogether.

edit on 5/4/2018 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
?
I'm sorry but I hear "people of color" all the time.
How is "colored people" any different?
Not much of a slip to go from one to the other.
Hardly worth people getting canned over.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Democrats keeping up their self-destructive tendencies as another one "talks" the "thoughts" outloud 📣

A DNC member has decided to resign after referring to African Americans as "colored people" !!!

This was said in public at a Democrat meeting of all places !!

The guy's wife (also a "parti" member) encouraged the "resignation" 🧐

He said later that he "understands" his "error" 😁

Yes Watson, there are dumbies among us !! 😁

'Colored people' remark prompts DNC member's departure

A member of the Democratic National Committee resigned Wednesday after referring to African-Americans as “colored people” during a party meeting.

John Parker, a Duval County (Fla.) Democratic state committeeman, apologized for what he described as a “hurtful” term and announced his immediate resignation.

“I understand my error perpetuates divisiveness and does not allow us an opportunity for the important types of meaningful discourse — a conversation our party must engage in sooner rather than later — that help us grow as individuals and a party protecting the dignity of all people,” he said in a statement, Politico reported.

😀The Towers are Tumbling😄

To me, it's no different than "people of color." To say otherwise is absurd. Also, despite everybody using "poc" now, I think both phrases are problematic and reek of old timey racism.

Then you have NAACP, which literally has "colored people" at the end.

Meanwhile this guy had to resign and his own damn wife is on the other side... People are stupid.
edit on 5-4-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
?
I'm sorry but I hear "people of color" all the time.
How is "colored people" any different?
Not much of a slip to go from one to the other.
Hardly worth people getting canned over.

Even odder that they are so afraid of the monster they've made that his own wife (party member) publicly admonished him to resign when he was going to stay on.
edit on 5-4-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There was this raging liberal at my work years ago. He was just liberal, with everything. He would rant against Bush and rave about Obama. His wife was an even harder core liberal than he, so he said.

Anyways, I earned a raise one year on a high-visibility project that was done well and was also promoted.

He said to me, "Good, now you can start living like a white man."

I don't think they realize just how racist they are.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join