It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Colored people' remark prompts DNC member's departure

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If you call people POC's you are going to offend people from Pakistan.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
How, exactly, does that end up in the arsenal of vernacular that someone uses in their toolkit?

Maybe he meant "people of color" which is perfectly acceptable. It's sad when a slip of this nature is news. Then again this is xuen so it's expected. Still not discussion worthy.

He "said" what he was "thinking".

The Sun is out and it's getting hotter 😁

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

“Colored people”- not ok
“People of color”- ok

Sometimes I hate this planet

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

How, exactly, does that end up in the arsenal of vernacular that someone uses in their toolkit?

Maybe he meant "people of color" which is perfectly acceptable. It's sad when a slip of this nature is news. Then again this is xuen so it's expected. Still not discussion worthy.

You just highlighted exactly how stupid it all is. Thanks for that.

Just re-arrange, add in "of" and presto-chango!!!

That's crazy.
People of color is fine. Colored people not so much. It's the same thing.

A) # this dude
B) were any of you that are oh so aghast about this comment aghast when another someone called a bunch of people bad hombres?
Or when that same guy said that demographic was great at climbing walls?

Just checking and fat man I'm not talking about you

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph

He made a mistake and copped to it. There's a story here? Other than someone is willing to take responsibility for an error?

"Nothing to see here folks". Yeah, not gonna work. Not after a whole month of Stormy, sorry.

So you're looking for ANYTHING to bitch about. Kindergarten is out, sorry.

Yes there's a story here. Yet another Dem representative once again outed himself as a racist. Democrats have a hard time addressing people as people first, they see skin color first.

..."If I had a son, he would look exactly like Trayvon Martin"

You do? I can only infer projection here as that is complete BS.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

And yet, here you are, discussing it.

Also, I am not American and I don't really understand why saying "colored people" is offensive and saying "people of color" is not. Can someone explain the difference to me? Would be nice to know so I don't end up being rude or offensive because of my ignorance.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MostlyReading

Only difference is one is considered derogatory and the other is not. Why that is I'm not sure.

Probably cause most people are #in stupid

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

So you're looking for ANYTHING to bitch about. Kindergarten is out, sorry.

Do I need to remind you this is an online forum? Not the congress? We can speak of any issue we like aslong as it fits the forum. But you already know that, just uncomfortable with people discussing this.

Did you made a single comment about Stormy? Was it a non-issue when MSM kept shoving it into everyone's throats for a month non-stop? Something entirely personal that happened years before he even considering getting into politics?
That was breaking news, yet Dems being racists is a non-story. Nope, not going to work.

You do? I can only infer projection here as that is complete BS.

You claim that, I claim otherwise. The most racist behavior comes from Dems. It's hard to see that while seriously accusing Trump of being racist for wanting secure borders.
Meaning of racist in the left's mindset has changed to 'Republican'. If you're a Republican that stumbled upon a racial issue, all hell breaks loose. If it's a Democrat? "Pfft, minor issue, complete non-story".

Real racism comes from people who view others by their skin colors, regardless if they claim to support them or not. That is the actual definition of racism.
edit on 5-4-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Only difference is one is considered derogatory and the other is not. Why that is I'm not sure.

My guess is because that was a term used in the bad old days. Before the term "black" was used.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MostlyReading

And yet, here you are, discussing it.

Also, I am not American and I don't really understand why saying "colored people" is offensive and saying "people of color" is not. Can someone explain the difference to me? Would be nice to know so I don't end up being rude or offensive because of my ignorance.

Probably because “colored” harkens back to the days of segregation, with “white” and “colored” sections for everything. How “persons/people of color” is any different though? Yeah.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Well, maybe you're right, haha. I have asked the same question other places online too but I have never been given an explanation that makes sense to a furriner like me.

Thanks for your answer anyway. I guess I'll just have to accept that the reason "colored people" is offensive and "people of color" is not, is "just because, that's why!"

edit on 5-4-2018 by MostlyReading because: reasons

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I know lots of both black and coloured people; none of them are offended by either.

Nearly all recognise that context and intent are what determines if something is offensive or not.

Snowflake hyper-sensitivity due to PC dictates and restraints.....just my take on things from across the pond.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

But it is a complete non-story. If he actually had any kind of policy making power then it would be a story. The extent of his power is voting on who from state committee will represent Florida at the National Committee. That's all a state committeeman does.

If this is a newsworthy story then pretty much any time someone says "colored person" is newsworthy.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
But it is a complete non-story. If he actually had any kind of policy making power then it would be a story.

A member of the DNC is by default representing them. This is not a facebook rant by a random dude.
Trying to downplay things like this don't usually downplays them. Just saying.

Again, after a whole month of Stormy Daniels, I don't think anyone has the right to call anything a non-story. Atleast for a month

edit on 5-4-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The term was actually quite common at one time. How old is the guy? I mean, I know now it is frowned upon for reasons noone can really identify beyond by constantly changing what's an acceptable or outrageous term we can demonize people not paying any attention to what we determine the acceptable euphemism to be this week. Public figures are probably idiots if they go around using the term "colored people" in today's environment, but it really highlights the faux outrage that "People of Color" is the new acceptable term, but "colored people" is outrageous.

We still haven't asked the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) to change its name. And the United Negro College Fund is still in existence, too. Outrage seems very selective.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
But it is a complete non-story. If he actually had any kind of policy making power then it would be a story.

A member of the DNC is by default representing them. This is not a facebook rant by a random dude.
Trying to downplay things like this don't usually downplays them. Just saying.

Again, after a whole month of Stormy Daniels, I don't think anyone has the right to call anything a non-story. Atleast for a month

Reporting them is an act of childishness.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Don't democrats use terms like POC(Person of Color)?

Whats the big deal here?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Reporting them is an act of childishness.

...As opposed to a sex story from years ago? That went on for a month, I remind you again.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Don't democrats use terms like POC(Person of Color)?

Whats the big deal here?

It's about a Dem. Thus newsworthy to the partisan flock.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Figures.

Well I got what I needed out of this.

I was trying to find the controversy, but I am at a loss to find legitimacy in this story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join