It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Knife Legislation Proposals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Gosh I remember when glassing was common on drunken weekends, then plastic glasses were enforced in my area in all 'late night' drinking establishments...couple of decades later glassing has become socially unacceptable now so we've been allowed to have real glasses back again.
Only heard of one glassing incident in the last few years, it is genuinely condemned by local society now as cowardly instead of fighting like a drunken bloke, with fists.
Even stamping on heads when a guy is down is stopped by 'the public' these days, we've moved on, but such a pity some London communities are seeming more broken by the year.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Remember, though, all of us concerned about the slippery slope of banning this or that are just being silly.

Something to consider: in the early 1900's, there was hysteria in Texas about crazed Mexicans going on stabbing spree's. A healthy dose of racism was obviously involved (indians and Mexicans were both seen as bloodthirsty savages by many aristrocrats), and it led to some rather ridiculous knife laws being enacted.

Until rather recently our knife laws were stricter than gun laws in Texas, allowing you to basically only have a knife that was smallish and folded. They wanted folks who used them for work to have them for work. If you were out in the country hunting, you got an exemption for hunting knives and the like. Same as carrying a gun...if you are out hunting and have a pistol, you don't need a license to carry it.

Nonetheless...draconian knife laws are not unheard of in the US.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just wait until the authorities discover that a person can be killed with pointy sticks. They will be forced to ban pencils and pens.
Further down the line, they will be forced to ban hard and blunt objects.

Don't tell anyone, but I heard that human hands have been used to strangle people. Yikes! Off with their hands!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Kinda like the "rampant epidemic of gun deaths in America" 35k or so in a country of 330 million.

But more to the point, pretty much everything we have in our country that is good was based off influence from the UK, most of both sides of my family come from those islands, I regard the UK and Ireland as my ancestral home.

Seeing insane knife legislation like that breaks my heart to see, many of the freedoms people have enjoyed there for generations are being chipped away at "for the greater good", instead of trying to dig into the deeper reasons for the problems and actually enacting real positive change.

I feel the same way with some of the proposals here after the broward county school shooting, feel good knee jerk legislation almost never fixes the problem and only ever takes freedoms from law abiding citizens.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting story

I also chuckled at your sword on the back law change, technically it is legal here as well so long as the purpose of carrying is not to use in self defence, bizarre I know, but to transport for some other reason.
There's a member here who fights old school knights in shining armour stuff so he'd know more about it than me, but I imagine he transports his kit in bags so as not to attract attention from public and cops.
Some cops don't really know the letter of the law, so hiding your sharps is probably the safest option.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

What's next RDBP ( rapidly deployed ballpoint pens) ? With just the least bit of practice learn to flick the point out of your RDBP , of course after honing the 1/8" steel tip to a mini spear point ....easily capable of penetrating most paper and even some cardboard !

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Just wait until the authorities discover that a person can be killed with pointy sticks. They will be forced to ban pencils and pens.

Screwdrivers will be on the list too at some point. Phillips, posi drive, flat edged? They'll ban everything the way is going but thye violent type will still find a wet trout to batter each other with

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Screwdrivers will be on the list too at some point. Phillips, posi drive, flat edged? They'll ban everything the way is going but thye violent type will still find a wet trout to batter each other with

Let the fish spoil a bit first, but not enough that it comes apart when you strike with it. The smell would be offensive.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

My mom's husband (not really my stepdad) bought me this knife, and I keep in on my visor in my truck. (not a great knife, but I never shun a useful gift)

It's black, and shaped like a dagger--that must be really scary. Of course, the fact that it has "hostage rescue team" in the name automatically makes it tactical.

Obviously tactical.

Tactical to the max!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Screwdrivers will be on the list too at some point. Phillips, posi drive, flat edged?

Meh, so last year, star bit is the way forward now fella

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Believe it or not, I'm pretty much free to do whatever I want, when I want, as long as what I do doesn't have a negative impact on anyone else.
Obviously there are some things that I have to be a bit more 'discreet' about, but.....

I have no problems with our gun control laws or legislation relating to knife ownership etc.
Neither do I have any desire to moralise to Americans about their gun control laws.

The UK has many social issues and some of these are at the core of what is fuelling the recent spate of killings in London.

We need to start admitting that we have these problems and start addressing these core issues free from the PC restraints and dictates that seem to oversee every aspect of our society at present.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Oh yeah banged up for offensive smells next
God help us all I need to get off this small island and get off quick

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Tactical to the max LMAO you nut!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Where it gonna ends? Falmin authorities killing it with the ryles

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Yes, some broken communities badly need help, not pointless new legislation.
I wonder why they are more stabby in London than other parts of the UK though, gangsta culture I guess.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Some essential advice on self defence. Particularly useful if some maniac comes at you armed with a piece of fruit:-

Monty Python Self Defence Sketch

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hope it works out for yall, our experience has been once the big population areas enact stupid legislation its a matter of time before it impacts us further out in the sticks.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

We have many social issues, some as a direct result of PC meddling and social engineering. But many are deep rooted and lie at the very heart of British life.
We need urgent and radical action - discussions for other threads methinks.

As I'm sure you are more than aware London is by no means representative of the rest of the UK - far from it.
But it seems that many of our colonial cousins can't seem to grasp this despite repeated attempts from various ATS members to explain this.

For various reasons London seems to be in the grip of some upsurge in both gun and knife related murders, almost all related to the emergence of the so called 'gangsta culture'.
Now I know many people may disagree with me but this has coincided with an influx of relatively new immigrants who are financially disadvantaged and have little connection with UK culture.

If we are to redress this trend then we need open and honest debate free from PC restraints and hyper sensitivity and a realistic long term action plan implemented.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

We definitely need honesty, and funding to support these troubled communities, youth worker budgets have been slashed in most areas. New legislation will do nothing.
...and yes, my part of the world is massively different to Londonium, massively. Couldn't pay me to live there, give me chilled out stoners and shroom heads in these parts any day over that stressful and concrete environment.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Hideous awful and ridiculous.

As if it wasnt daft enough already.

Nanny state &#^$*$£,#*£ .

The Tories. Every time i try to effing forget politics they come and do something so bloody unneccessary and counterproductive that you realise they just want to send us back to being serfs

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join