It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Knife Legislation Proposals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
PROPOSALS FOR NEW KNIFE OFFENCES

A. Creating offences to prevent knives being sold online and being delivered to a private residential address and ensuring age and identity of the purchaser are checked

Knives would be sent to a collection point and purchasers would have to produce identification papers when picking up.

B. Making it an offence to possess certain weapons in private

"Weapons" held for cultural, artistic or religious reasons and those held by collectors may be subject to registration. Many large blades are agricultural tools. Axes are mostly used for wood processing. I find the use of the word weapons rather ignorant.

Theatrical suppliers would be affected. Interesting 'point' here.

“What about plastic blades?”

I don’t carry them. Plastic breaks more easily than steel, and then you have a very sharp stick with the same potential for danger as a real weapon. Steel is safer.
weaponsofchoice.com...

C. Making it an offence to possess a knife or offensive weapon in educational institutions other than schools

What is the definition of school?

D. Amending the offences of threatening with an article with a blade or point, or an offensive weapon

The new proposals are built around a theoretical "reasonable person". Seems a bit hazy.

E. Updating the definition of a flick knife

There are many knives that can be opened as quick, or almost as quick as an old flick knife. Peasant knives may fall under the proposed definition. The opening technique is at 1:45.

There are proposals for acid and corrosive liquid restrictions.

.50 calibre rifles and rapid firing rifles are also proposed to be banned. I don't use them for bushcraft much but I'd like to know a few of my neighbours had them in case of rogue government.

Comment here from the Forest School Association.

. . . a threat is open to interpretation. For example some one may be holding a knife pointing toward someone a distance away and the person may interpret this as threatening even though the person holding the knife is not doing this in a threatening way. This needs to be reworded to avoid any misuse of this law change.
www.forestschoolassociation.org...

There's too much vagueness in these new knife legislation proposals.

We need more constables doing what they do best, not wishy-washy ignorant townie knee jerk amendments with openings for abuse.
edit on 5 4 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 4 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
"Shakes head..."

*Yet it is still perfectly legal to kill a Scotsman in York providing they are carrying a bow and arrow...

Kindest respects

Lags

*Urban legend of course now but people still like to think so
edit on 5-4-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I thought this was a joke at first?

Good luck with all that.

a reply to: Kester

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Utterly absurd. Its your country, you can do as you want, but as an outdoorsman Id be apoplectic. I have a half dozen different blades for foraging alone.

Baseball bats and crowbars will be next, then what...no martial arts?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Wow.
It seems as though the government there doesn't trust you folks with sharp objects.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Utterly absurd. Its your country, you can do as you want, but as an outdoorsman Id be apoplectic. I have a half dozen different blades for foraging alone.

You won't be able to head butt someone soon just air butt them...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Wow.
It seems as though the government there doesn't trust you folks with sharp objects.

It almost feels like governments from all around the world are disarming the general public...

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I guess it's universal.

No one is addressing the behavior of individuals, they are only focusing on the tools.

I see this as lazy and an attempt at control rather than addressing the actual problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

C. Making it an offence to possess a knife or offensive weapon in educational institutions other than schools

Other than culinary schools maybe..? makes it hard to cook without knives

One of Canada's cities (Saskatoon, I think), tried to ban knives from people in public.
It didn't work, there are too many outdoor workers, that have to carry a knife to cut through things. Or they need it in their vehicle for when they need to cut through something.

Can't just take sharp objects away from adults....

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I really don't see this as effective legislation. Most of the feral children here in the UK are armed with kitchen knives. It would be very difficult to legislate against that type of knife.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The best laws are deliberately vague, just so they are easy to apply when needed, police and judiciary like them like that, all though sometimes the vagueness can work against them, but not often.

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Taking your guns wasn't enough?
Now they want your knives?

I don't want to hear one more damn word about anyone that "just" wants to take "certain" guns not all of them.....uh huh...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: PheonixReborn
I really don't see this as effective legislation. Most of the feral children here in the UK are armed with kitchen knives. It would be very difficult to legislate against that type of knife.

Exactly what I thought, besides, knife carry laws are restrictive already, but still they kill each other.
New laws won't change a thing.
Some communities are simply broken and need help.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Maybe stop producing so many Smeg Heads.....

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

They are trying to ban everythiung off the face of the Earth. More laws all trhetime it driving me mad, then more taxes. Laws for this taxes for that tax laws tax laws laws tax laws tax. big brother 'what you need to know' as it wags its figure. Saw it on health and safety poster in the factory, Ukranian mate said it was John Kerry, in hindsight its the governors

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Trouble is they breed at a faster rate than non-smeg heads. Kids having kids these days.
EDIT
I actually know a 31 year old woman who is already a grandmother, no hope for her grandchild in my opinion, tragic.
edit on 5-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What's next,spoons?Soon you won't have any cutlery left!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Smeg heads!
Haven't head that one in years and it brought a smile to my face...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

There is no spoon

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What is going on over there. Someone should start teaching self defence courses, they would make a killing.

I have lived in far nastier places without a gun or knife, and was never attacked. When you have been trained to be docile you end up make the fatal assumption everyone else is docile as well.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join