Way to Go President Bush !!! Unemployment.. again..

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Unemployment claims lowest in four years!

The number of laid-off workers filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell for a third straight week, dropping to the lowest level in more than four years, the Labor Department reported Thursday.
A total of 302,000 Americans filed applications for jobless benefits last week, down 2,000 from the previous week on a seasonally adjusted basis. The level was the lowest since Oct. 28, 2000, in the closing months of the country's record 10-year economic expansion.

www.usatoday.com... tm

Analysts said the decline in claims provided further evidence that the labor market is continuing to show improvements with fewer layoffs and more companies deciding to hire new workers.

The four-week moving average for unemployment claims, which smooths week-to-week volatility, also fell last week, dropping to 311,750, lowest level since Nov. 4, 2000.

However, in 2004, payroll jobs increased by 2.2 million, after three years of job losses, and last month's job gains allowed President Bush to escape the dubious distinction of being the first president since Herbert Hoover to experience a net job loss during his first term in office.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
WHAT !!!

You mean, no one can find any fault in this news report and find another way to bash the President ?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
WHAT !!!

You mean, no one can find any fault in this news report and find another way to bash the President ?

Watch out! Some would say you were intentionally trolling for drama.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
yeah.. you're right Jonna, that's not my intention...

President Bush gets so much negativity around here, I just wanted to post something good.... my thread dropped off the main page, so I "bumped" it back up...

that's all..

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The president artificially lowers the jobless numbers by allowing fewer people to claim unemployment. The numbers presented only account for those receving federal money. It doesn't take into account those who made less than 3000 dollars at their last job and were ineligible. It doesn't take into account those who never filed because they don't want to be a drain on the system, nor does it account for those who claimed their maximum amount of unemployment and are no longer eligible. It also doesn't count those living poor who don't make enough money even though they work 40-80 hours a week at minimum wage.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but the country is in bad shape. Talk around, you'll see a lot of people out of work. I've been functionally out of work for more than 4 years due to downsizing in my industry.

High tech, digital art and data management, catalog photography, telephone customer service, tech support, assembly line, computer assembly -- these jobs practically don't exist any more. There are many other industries, I'm just speaking from my personal experience in the listed fields. There are a lot of people like me, we're off the systems radar, but hurting none the less.

They're always hiring at McDonalds..

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What bothers me about quantifying an unemployment rate is that those who cannot find a job after exhausting their benefits are no longer included in the unemployment rate, just dropped. This isn't a Bush thing, they have done it that way for a while.
Presidents always get too much credit for a good economy and too much blame when it's bad.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietRenegade
Presidents always get too much credit for a good economy and too much blame when it's bad.

This is pretty much true.
Herbert Hoover essentially gets blamed for the Great Depression, which is unwarranted. The Depression was a recession that turned into a depression. One major reason is that the FED actually raised interest rates and tightened the money supply during a recession!!!!!!! Also excessive tarrifs caused other countries to retalliate in turn.

FDR gets credit for the good economy after WW2 when in fact the New Deal did very little to stimulate the economy.

Here's a good article on this subject:
www.findarticles.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

What bothers me about quantifying an unemployment rate is that those who cannot find a job after exhausting their benefits are no longer included in the unemployment rate, just dropped.

Anyone who stays on unemployment for the obscene amount of time the government allows, isn't trying to find a job

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It's not a matter of not finding work but not finding work that they want to do....beggars can't be choosy. Sounds harsh, but it is true. This is America and virtually anyone has the opportunity to make something of themselves. I know a guy who goes to my school that several years ago was homeless. Now he is getting ready to enter law school and is a published author.....

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

What bothers me about quantifying an unemployment rate is that those who cannot find a job after exhausting their benefits are no longer included in the unemployment rate, just dropped.

Anyone who stays on unemployment for the obscene amount of time the government allows, isn't trying to find a job

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. You love Bush so much you can not admit anything he does is wrong. I have been to some small towns that have been hit by outsourcing, and guess what there are no jobs for them.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by Snowman9]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I would argue that point about really wanting to work. I was without work for over a year. I tried to get a job at Walmart, Mickydees and temp agencies (demons from hell!) I had one temp job for a day. After 2 previous major reconstructive back surgeries the lifting required as a temp was unbearable; I had to quit (talk about a tough decision when you kids are hungry). The temp agency was run and owned by a black minority firm. The employment firm got first picks so that the factory could claim to support black businesses. I am white and so were all of the hirelings in this black majority area of TN. What could they not find a black person? Probably not because that job was literally slavery. The paid me $8 and kept $7/hr. Oh these black democrats did health insurance after 6 months. It would only cost me about $400/month. It was that high for a reason. No one took it so they did not have to contribute anything.

The point is, I was not too proud to work cleaning toilets to support my family. I can prove it because about a year later that is one of the responsibilities of the lowing paying job I could do and got. The job had a very high turn over so my electrical engineering degree did not matter to the owner. I received many compliments on how much pride I took in my job those 6 months. The kids that I were working for were shocked and thought I was crazy. They did comment on my references that they could not believe my work ethics. I quit after 6 months to take an 80K job. That job lead to my present one.

No one for over a year wanted to hire me because of my resume and BSEE

The employers I talked to for the first year said that by the time they trained me, I would be gone the first job offer I got. That was not true either because I passed up EE jobs that would require me to move far from my dying mother-in-law.

You have to have a job history or no one will hire you. I serious thought about claiming I was in prison so I did not have a history. I would have easily been hired then. I just could not lie, i just am not good at it and I believe lying is immoral. Needless to say, for about a year my wife supported the 5 of us on $7.25/hr. We do not believe in public aid for able bodied men so I pegged my two credit cards out to the tune of 20K until I got the $7 job cleaning toilets and mopping floors.

By the way I was glad my wife made more money than I. Also as poor as we were, and we were folks! (we envied those on food stamps), I still voted pro-life and republican. We always have no matter how poor we were when we first started out. We love others and hope all will come to realize Jesus is Lord.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Great testimony.
I admire your work ethic, perserverence, and integrity.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
And I can testify that what he said was true............He only asked me for help once and I gladly gave but as soon as he was one hos feet he paid me back, then again that was exactly the time I lost my job and needed it. Funny how God works at times, keeps you humble for sure...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snowman9

Originally posted by Carseller4

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. You love Bush so much you can not admit anything he does is wrong. I have been to some small towns that have been hit by outsourcing, and guess what there are no jobs for them.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by Snowman9]

Lowering unemployment is wrong? I worked while Reagan was President, while Bush # 1 was President. I worked during the Clinton years, and am working now under George W Bush. They could elect Bozo the Clown (Hillary?), and I would still have a job. No President is going to prevent me from working.

Tip: If your town has no jobs, move to one that does. Or better yet start your own business, and hire people, to make your town better.

top topics

join