It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed "Tax by Mile" Instead of Fuel Tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Some states are testing the idea of 'tax by the mile' instead of fuel taxes. They will place a trackoing device in a person's car. to read the odometer as the person fuels up at a gas station, and the person will be charged accordingly.

www.latimes.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">More Here

How about this: All politicians take a pay decrease to help ease the tax burden? How about bringing our soldiers home from Iraq, which costs about $5billion dollars a day, to help fix the roads.

Just another reason to reach into our pockets.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by nathraq]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I don't see how this is any different than fuel tax. The numbers of miles I'm able to drive is directly related to how much fuel I put in my tank, so whats the difference?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The difference is that one method requires that your vehicle have a tracking device in it.

That is scary.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Also the difference is about the MPG a vehicle gets. My car gets about 350 mile out of 10 gallons of fuel. My neighbors H3 might only get 100 miles per 10 gallons. As more and more people are going hybrid and getting better fuel consumption, the amount of fuel used will go down. That equals less taxes collected. I see where the greed comes in but tracking everyone down to the mile to tax them is obviously wrong. Not to mention the privacy issues. Lets also look at the black market that would develop with people hacking the GPS or disabling them. Do you go to jail on tax fraud if your GPS tracking device fails and you keep driving?
This is just a bad idea any way you look at it.

OP thanks for posting this. S&F for you.

top topics

join