It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treating Wounds With Sugar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

To treat a wound with sugar . . . pour the sugar on the wound and apply a bandage on top. The granules soak up any moisture that allows bacteria to thrive. Without the bacteria, the wound heals more quickly.
www.bbc.com...

In vitro tests demonstrated that sugar inhibits bacterial growth. All three types of sugars had MICs ranging from 6-25% in the bacterial strains tested. The diffusion tests showed that strains were able to grow well in low concentrations of sugar but were completely inhibited in higher concentrations. The two granulated sugars were found to be slightly more effective than Demerara sugar, so the latter was excluded from the clinical pilot study. Twenty-two patients (20 inpatients and two outpatients) with sloughy or necrotic wounds were recruited into the clinical study. Two patients had MRSA and two had Staphylococcus colonisation at baseline. Blood sugar levels remained stable in the seven patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. All wounds were clean/debrided in a mean of 11.13 days. Pain and malodour reduced markedly. Patient and staff surveys revealed overwhelming support for the sugar therapy.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

My mother gave pest control advice to caretakers of large food stocks. She said the only food that didn't need protection was white sugar because nothing can live on white sugar alone. I hadn't heard about using it to treat wounds. Has anyone ever tried this?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Nope, But I would rather use honey and garlic for sure.

This would be a method of last resort.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Rubbing dirt would heal the wounds. Done that many time in my sh!thole country.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
your mum was wrong .
have had times where ants have got into white sugar watched them carry off granules from sugar bowl on table in my garden when had forgot to bring the bowl back inside after sitting out having tea .

will pass on putting sugar on any open wounds in favour of more tried and proven to work methods .

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Lick it. It worked when I was a kid, and it still works.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Probably explains why some meats are sugar cured.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

The ants must have had other food sources as well. In a huge stock there is nothing else for insects to eat.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Surprising actually, as a lot of the bacteria I study actually will eat sugar when available.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think unpasteurized honey is the super sugar with healing properties.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I saw a lady stop the bleeding on a nasty cut that a horse had gotten on its hindquarter. She held a handful of sugar right on the cut and the bleeding stopped.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I like to put turmeric, colloidal silver, molasses, baking soda and Balvenie 21 on my cuts. I regenerate like Wolverine with that stuff.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Will they eat it alone in high concentrations?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I used honey recently on a burn. It was good, but this stuff was amazing. www.weleda.co.uk...

If sugar is what's available it seems worth using.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

In horticulture, the 'good' bacteria (aka Microbeasties) love sugar. The kind that are beneficial to soil / roots that is. They have stuff the do and eat 'normally' that isnt sugar, but when you go and pour some sugar on them they eat it up (and thus multiply). So pouring old unfinished sodas, beers even, into plant pots / compost heaps is good.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

had a friend tell my wife to do so when she gouged her leg on a cross country run.

Her problem is she did not change it regularly enough, she asked the doc when she finally brought it up to them and they said every person is different but the thought was sound.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

A good first aid solution.

I worked in a fishmonger's shop. The old guy who worked there before me had cut his hand badly when he tried to slice through a piece of string around a box. His hand slipped along the blade. I was told he immediately grabbed a handful of salt and held it tight. I expect animals will react less to sugar in those circumstances. Putting something that stings on an animal's wound could result in getting bitten or kicked.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Urinate on it first.

To get it nice an clean.

Seriously...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Interesting... The ammonia in urine is also suppose to work on wounds when nothing else is available.. It is basically a piss on it cure...preferably your own or a friend that does not have HIV, etc etc. Used for 1000s of years all over the world though not so much in western civilization IMO..

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
While it wouldn't be my first grab in an emergency, I have recommended it to clients to stop the bleeding on a pet's bleeding nail. Sugar packets would be easy to carry in first aid kits and it could serve multiple functions. I have had more than one occasion that a pet "crashing" needed sugar immediately. A needle-less syringe loaded with honey and powdered sugar would be a convenient tool.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I expect animals will react less to sugar in those circumstances. Putting something that stings on an animal's wound could result in getting bitten or kicked.

You would think!!! I used a Kwik Stop powder on a deep puncture on my finger and it was like an ongoing volcano of pain. Awful! I have never had an animal even bat a lash with that crap unless they were being drama queens already. I've since switched to a charcoal, tumeric, pepper blend that doesn't hurt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join