It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis F-16 is fourth incident in two days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
An F-16 assigned to Nellis AFB has crashed on the NTTR. It marks the third crash in two days. An AV-8B crashed on takeoff in Djibouti, followed by a CH-53E yesterday just outside El Centro. The pilot of the Harrier ejected, while the four crew on the CH-53 were killed. There is no word on the F-16 pilot, but it's not looking good. They're going on three hours since the crash and still no word on the condition of the pilot, or pilots on board.

news.usni.org...

www.cbsnews.com...

www.airforcetimes.com...

Another CH-53E was damaged landing in Djibouti as well.
edit on 4/4/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The recently passed Omnibus Bill should help reduce some of these maintenance problems and improve crew training as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's still going to take years to catch up on maintenance. The F-18 depot is something like three or four years behind. The money will help a lot, but now we just need the time to catch up.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Is it equipment failure, or pilot error that is causing all these accidents?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Some are maintenance issues, others are lack of training time, leading to pilot error. And others are just parts that failed with no warning.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Like you've said before Zaph I think it's time they put the F35 into full production. Then reduce the numbers of legacy aircraft and use any parts they can to keep the remainder airborne.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
While I am no fan of Trump do you or Zaphod believe this bill will grant more training to our service peeps. Or would it be just wasted moneys. I honestly do not believe Trump intends to harm America and so I believe he is only doing what he thinks is best for US. With that being said how much do YOU believe it would cost the American tax payers to fully fund our arsenal of stuff?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

The F-35 is having sustainment problems, too.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Unconfirmed word is the Thunderbirds had a midair collision. One aircraft was able to return to Nellis, and one didn't.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Would the money going towards maintenance for F15's, F16's and F18's not help the F35 sustainment problem though?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The biggest thing needed right now is maintenance. We've been pushing our aircraft, and delaying their time in Depot, to the point where they're getting dangerous. We need to get aircraft pushed through the Depot faster, which is hard as hell to do, if you want it done right.

This bill will also add new aircraft to replace some of the older aircraft which will help with flying time, as well as helping actual flying time, as long as aircraft are available.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

First it was 3. Now its 4. Why not go for a cool 10?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Four incidents, three crashes. The second CH-53 wasn't listed in most sources because it wasn't a crash, it was just damaged. So I corrected the title to show that there have been four incidents in two days.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
People listening to the scanners are saying that the pilot didn't make it, but the Air Force hasn't confirmed that yet. Based on the time since the crash, and that they're still saying "missing" and "status unknown", the chances of him making it are pretty slim.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I suppose if he was still alive they'd have said by now? Take it they wait to tell next of kin before releasing details?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

The general rule of thumb is that if the status is "Missing/Unknown" for more than an hour, they didn't get out. Usually confirmation of death waits until they get on scene and find the remains, sometimes until notification takes place.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's pretty much been confirmed through some of my online groups that it was the Thunderbirds. The Air Force isn't saying much beyond location and status aren't being released.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's still going to take years to catch up on maintenance. The F-18 depot is something like three or four years behind. The money will help a lot, but now we just need the time to catch up.

I was just talking to my doctor about this earlier today, we were both Air Force. He was in during the Reagan and Clinton years. I was in during the Bush and Obama years. It will indeed take time for these things to be fixed. My biggest worry is that the funding will be knocked back down before we can catch up.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Las Vegas Fox News affiliate is reporting a Thunderbirds pilot was killed near Creech AFB. Still haven't seen an official statement by the Air Force, but that matches up to everything I've seen online.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
In 1998 at PSAB, we once got into a water fight because missions, despite what many believe, can get boring really fast. Anyways, we were just throwing water from our bottles around at each other. Even the 1st Sargent got involved. Captain caught wind and made everyone stop, good move. But I'll never forget what a staff Sargent said.

"You guys are gonna get that taken away!", he yelled at us water olympians.

What, the water?

Ugh Sir, we're in the desert.

"Makes no difference to me!", he pronounced.

Lesson, don't overreact.

They'll get it right, soon. Always do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join