It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Though he was "arrested" to get his side of the story, the police would think about his safety. Reason 1. if the murdered man was in a gang or his family were criminals (you know what I mean) if he wasn't "arrested" they would see it as a let off and come for revenge. This happens quite often in the UK. 2. The police are using procedure to help the elderly man from future prosecutions ie. it has been known for criminals to bring proceedings against victims and if all evidence has been looked at and the see fit not to prosecute him the criminal then can't bring this against him at a later date.
If you Americans don't know it is a well known fact (though unofficially acknowledged) in the UK that the criminal has more rights than the victim.
I said before and I'll say it again THE MAGNA CARTA is total bs for British citizens. It is always quoted as ourconstitutional right charter. The majority of people have not even read it yet the quote it as if it's the ten commandments. The Magna Carta (which means the Great Charter) was an agreement between the ruling barons of the time forcing King John to stop bothering the barons and the church. It has nothing to do with the ordinary man in the street.
As an English man I would dearly, dearly love Britain to adopt the American constitution cos the bs that our government supposedly gave us is no more use that a chocolate fire guard.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Discussion is good.

Ridicule and baiting not so.

It seems to me that despite the avalanche of testaments from the country where this incident occurred there are some who prefer to take a specific viewpoint simply because it sits easy with their personal domestic political beliefs.

Then there's those who despite all contradictory evidence who assume that we Brits are somehow some kind of nation of subjugated, emasculated people who it is perfectly permissible to ridicule and insult.

As for the latter; if that is so then don't whine so much - not you personally - when you receive criticism yourselves.
As for the former; we are none of that, I assure you.

Do not mistake the stereotypes and the perceptions that MSM seem so keen to force upon you as to be anywhere near the truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

We have the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, thankfully. Which applies here and is not optional.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Horse and water springs to mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: intrptr

Ban Screwdrivers...

Yeah, and you can use your AK to hammer in nails.

typical, and not unexpected jab...

I don't use firearms to hammer nails. But nice jab anyway...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

He shouldn't even be detained much less arrested, based on the evidence presented. Is he still in jail? If so that is whacked on so many levels it boggles the mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Metallicus

Or would you rather the police just take a persons word for it after they've killed someone without establishing exactly what happened?

Knowing every case is different, my answer is yes. If my 75 year old grandfather, with no criminal history whatsoever, had two intruders break into his house and he defended himself and one of them ended up dead then yes I would like the people hired to protect and serve the citizens take his word for it. They can easily ask him to stay in the country for a week or so while they investigate.

I don't think it should be so far fetched to think that a 75 year old man didn't suddenly become a mastermind murderer and invite two men to break into his house in order to murder one of them. Again, but him under surveillance sure, no need to arrest him.

Yep pretty sure here in the US it's up to the police officers and detectives discretion,sure they will be questioned probably on site,and asked to be available for further questioning etc. But unless the evidence fits their is no assumption of guilt,no detainment etc. Seem to remember a case locally where an old man shot a teenager coming to his door late at night by accident. ie teenager had the wrong address. Man wasn't arrested till much later, but even then it wasn't a murder charge, partly because his house had been broken into before.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Are you really flabbergasted though?

First off, I'm glad to see the term "statist" used

Anyway, agree or disagree with the stances and opinions of statists, they are immensely consistent. Even the more questionable aspects like double standards and contradictions can be determined and expected with a high degree of accuracy.

In other words, I may strongly and passionately disagree with the opinions of statists, but their response really is consistent on this topic and many others.

In other words, I'm not sure it should come as a huge surprise when they have a similar response across the board.

As for this event specifically, I find even an arrest to be an affront to my sensibilities. But, if the population at large finds it appropriate.. well.. we get the governments we deserve.

Its such a foreign outlook to me that I really don't understand it though.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

you have just laid out the issue with the strong opinions on our second amendment here. and explained why you get the baiting/trolling in response.

Lots of finger wagging has been going on. What do you really expect?

Maybe another way to look at it is you have 2 cultures interacting online, and juxtaposing their respective systems against the other. sometimes its not the most high brow banter...

...one thing to keep in mind: you'd be hard pressed to find an American who wouldn't sprint to be at England side when the call goes out. And that isn't gonna change.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Perhaps that because everytime someone gets shot in the US, or trump farts or does something, every UK member on here rushes to post an abolish the 2nd ammendment thread or fire Trump thread.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Well at least your honest about it.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

You and I are both flabbergasted. We just are describing it differently.

Its very foreign to me. So much so that my natural self gets angry trying to consider how i'd survive in such a system. I'd sure be imprisoned in short order were I living in the UK.

Well...maybe not. But it feels that way.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Perhaps that because everytime someone gets shot in the US, or trump farts or does something, every UK member on here rushes to post an abolish the 2nd ammendment thread or fire Trump thread.

Over three hundred anti 2nd threads a day? Wow, how does anything else get discussed, ever?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly I feel like quite a few American member like to take a crap all over the U.K. at any opertunity they get.

We did fight a war against you for our freedom... which we won, by the way. It's not that unusual for us to still want to mark our territory by crapping across y'all from time to time.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I stabbed a burglar years ago, didn't kill him and tended his wound with the kitchen knife still stuck in his shoulder.
I phoned 999, asked for ambulance first, then police. I got formally arrested, interviewed, treated well by police and was out free within a few hours. The Crown Prosecution Service decided my use of force was reasonable and decided no further action after a week or so.
I guarantee the old boy is being treated well, with dignity, fed n watered, and the Crown will decide not to prosecute him after reviewing the details. I expect he'll be released within the next 24 hours, and I'd be shocked if the police applied for an extension to hold him.

To US members, it is different here, due process is the interview under caution, especially after a life has been lost. I'm happy with our system, and don't criticise yours, just different cultures is all.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Actually, that's a good way of putting it.

I suppose I was thinking that being flabbergasted and having ones expectations met are at odds, but both can coexist. For better or worse..

It really does start to demonstrate the true extent of the variety and diversity between our cultures though. We like to think that our own outlook can encompass, or at least understand, a different outlook.. but we might be giving ourselves too much credit individually and not nearly enough as a species.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Actually, that's a good way of putting it.

I suppose I was thinking that being flabbergasted and having ones expectations met are at odds, but both can coexist. For better or worse..

It really does start to demonstrate the true extent of the variety and diversity between our cultures though. We like to think that our own outlook can encompass, or at least understand, a different outlook.. but we might be giving ourselves too much credit individually and not nearly enough as a species.

I wish you would post more. You are an island of sanity in this crazy world.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Of course it isn't everyone, nor is it every Yank on here bashing your system. Personally speaking though, I remember that farmer guy trying to protect himself from the gyppos and ending up with life in prison.

There are certainly several instigators though...both sides.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
People break in he should have the right to blast them with an -actual- cannon.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Dude that is awesome! Stab a cat, then comfort him till the police get there...RESPECT! So you "stitched " him up eh!

We had a cat out of his hear on booze an drugs on my back deck in Florida. I pulled out my .44 mag and confronted him. He was like shoot me! I didn't of course, but damn, I was shaking like a leaf.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join