It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovery from the disease of addiction

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My thoughts on addiction are changing a bit. Like the TED talk that was put up early in the thread, I m starting to think it is not so purely physical as we have gotten used to thinking.

My husband became a sex addict, to a point he was living a hell and had to actually disclose everything and ask for help.
During the last six months or so before that disclosure, I think I was becoming an alcoholic. I was drinking too much, mostly because I was alone four nights of the week and was basically lonely. In retrospect, I also had a strong suspicion of infidelity, but was too afraid to face it. I was trying to get "numb" and pass out most nights.

The D Day left me with what is probably PTSD, and the staggered continuing of horrible disclosures of the next couple months devastated me. BUT - from that day on, I didn't drink at all. I have had one glass when in social situations, and found even that uncomfortable and won't touch a drop now.

He stopped all his acting out, which he had found himself unable to control up to that point. He had physical symptoms that went away after a couple weeks.
He's being monitored closely (by his own request) and so far has abstained from the behaviors.

It seems to me that addictions, even if there is a physiological part to them, are largely about psychological suffering, and if you look at that root, it is easier to stop. For the next two months we continued nightly lengthy (tearfilled) discussions on how we each felt, and our pasts, our childhoods.... in a stream_of_consciousness fashion we ended up finding traumas from each of our histories that were bringing us to this point.

Attachment and connection with other people seem to be the base of our addictions. I cannot speak for anyone else, but in our cases, it was necessary to dig for those roots for the addiction to be gone.

The spiritual aspect often brought up is paramount too. We had a mindblowing experience which had a huge impact on my husband. While talking at night about such things as death, he commented that he does not believe we are anything but our physical body - he cannot imagine anything "other" to what we are. When he said that, suddenly these fake candles we have in various parts of our bedroom all flipped on! Five of them. They do not have a timer, they are switched on by a small sliding button underneath.

It left him completely freaked out for days. Suddenly the man who used to say he hates being alone and made fun of my yoga as silly wants to go to a meditation retreat to be alone.

Spirituality has been the only thing getting me through the worst moments.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Amen.

That spiritual connection is Paramount.

Exclusive to no one.

And it's 100% true that addressing underlying traumas are a critical step towards healing.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Thanks for the posts you guys.

Day 7

I'm sitting in the doctor's office right now getting ready to take my first naltrexone pill.

Hopefully this'll be a game changer.

It was a game changer so far.

I feel much better, almost normal.

I spent the afternoon skating since I actually had the energy and desire and it felt wonderful.

Clean and serene for 8 days now, and am finally seeing an end to the PAWS in sight.

Feelings of slight optimism today.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Just got the vivitrol shot

Kinda painful but worth it

No turning back now!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
ATS members,

Do you believe addiction is a disease?

Do you believe addiction can be cured?

Is addiction just a chemical dependency, or is there more to it?

Is alcoholism separate from drug addiction?

Is addiction hereditary?

Could an alcoholic ever drink like a normal person?

Could an addict ever use recreationally?

Is cannabis a drug? A gateway drug? Is it possible for a recovering addict to use only cannabis and not eventually relapse?

Is recovery possible without God, or a higher power?

What role does willpower play in recovery from addiction?

Addiction is not a disease or depends on chemical reaction. It is just something that can be fixed inside a mind of a human

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Judy21

Hmmmmmm

I'm just not so sure.

I'm pretty sure the entire recovery community of the world would disagree. We could be wrong though.

If you have the cure you should patent that $h!t.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

If this is not too personal, what is the dose of naltrexone you are taking ,I only ask because my gf has been taking a low dose that helped her for a couple of months, but has since failed and no longer helps....

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

If this is not too personal, what is the dose of naltrexone you are taking ,I only ask because my gf has been taking a low dose that helped her for a couple of months, but has since failed and no longer helps....

I am on the vivitrol shot which is an intramuscular injection that works on the opiate receptors over a 30 day period.

The Naltrexone occupies the receptors which virtually eliminates all cravings and gives the addict a chance to direct that mental energy elsewhere.

It is ultra critical that a persons opiate receptors are completely barren otherwise the Naltrexone will rip any opiates off of the receptors, precipitating withdrawals symptoms, which is a severe and intense crisis.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Interesting and I appreciate your reply, my gf takes it as it helps with her chronic fatigue....

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I learned today finally that dosage of naltrexone in a vivitrol shot is 380 mgs. It lasts about 28 days.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Thx for that, that's a high dosage compared to what my girl takes, it's literally like a 3 or 4 mgs a day.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Dr Gabor Mate - Childhood Trauma Creates Addiction - Part 1/2 | London Real
This is an interesting talk/interview that was streamed only 2 days ago.. on you tube for anyone interested.
edit on 8-1-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Thanks for adding that here

<< 1  2  3   >>

join