It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovery from the disease of addiction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceffer

If you do drugs or drink or use internet responsibly it's alright, no harmful side effects. It's until you start pushing your boundaries & involve it in everyday life to function it becomes a means of survival, or it seems. Any body who overuses the internet or alcohol or drugs are going to become weak & dependent & get severe withdrawals. Don't let anyone put in your mind drugs or alcohol or the internet is bad, it's all about what the individual wants. I know many people who don't drink or do drugs & they can't seem to spend 5 minutes away from a fone, TV or stereo, that is way more unhealthy than a controlled habit of eating ice cream or doing a line of coke & doing something productive with their high. Hell, i have seen sober people have serious health complications from internet addiction, which causes extreme laziness & obesity & lack of concentration & many actual diseases from not being active. Our society runs off the addiction to internet, without that addiction, the world would collapse in a heartbeat. Even if we used it moderatly, the economy & social program would downgrade dramatically making it virtually impossible to generate a populated growth in markets, from entertainment to billing to job applications, most are online in todays world. Don't let people put in your head drugs or cigarettes or alchohol or internet is bad. Or that addiction is anything but a decision to keep going in a subtle distraction from life. I've been addicted & seen many addicts gain control of substances, like doing it to have fun & move on with life the next day like any sane person does. We soldiers round here though, not lil weaklings like most people we see bitchin bout that. It's choice, this centuries mindset doesn't change our history of medicinal uses of these supposed cursed drugs. Anyone who disagrees is either weak or they want to take away freedom & free will of others or they are in on the profit of making peeps think they are addicted. Statistically can you prove that addiction is what lead our ancestors & other species for thousands & thousands of years to do battle, do bad stuff, & yada? Or was it an idea that was created just recently in spite of our chemical weapons & atomic bomb. Chemical warfare was how we took this country over dowsing Indians water with chemicals, does that mean because it was so rampant & possibly destructive as shown in history we should just stop creating better ways to disperse them? We haven't, so our government says no. They have lawers though that are paid to have client attorney privileges so they won't let their lawyer tell you they are purposefully killing people. That'd be against the law to tell us. Plus, they make so much money from hurting us, like hospitals would barely function if they didn't let our dumb ideas that hurt us pass through. It's our good ideas that have no health implications that don't pass, ever notice that?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Not all 'users' are addicted, just as not all drinkers are alcoholics. It is also possible to become physically dependent, without becoming an addict or an alcoholic. There are many shades of gray, but for the percentages who are addicted/alcoholic, they "pay the ultimate price" for society's freedom to drink and use. Many addicts and alcoholics keep trying to squeeze themselves into the "shades of gray" category in order to keep using and reassure themselves psychologically.

The various forms of pharmacology have clearly had advantates for the survival of the population at large, while generating focal disaster for particular individuals. Nature does not care, individuals are expendable, as long as the species moves forward. The "addicts/alcolics" are just genetic road kill.

Human contol of pharmacology is still crude, imperfect and variable. It's been going on ever since humans ate some plants that made them feel good or healed them, while eating others that made them sick or killed them.

Addictive, mind altering substances convince users that they are "good" (and they might even be OK for a while), while reliably addicting and eventually killing a significant percentage of those who use them on a regular basis. The addicted/alcoholic also realiably create disproportianate dysfunction and harm to themselves and others in the process of getting worse and dying.

Even non-addictive, non-alcoholic users can experience dysfunctions and pathologies to varying degrees, but can stop sufficiently and retain enough insight to limit them.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceffer

Your a technology addict ain't you? How long has it been since you've just spent a day in the woods with nothing but woods stuff. No camera or fone, or music that you ain't making. It's so nice to just get out without houses or cars & rough noises or visuals around. Just straight nature, no tech. Itll feel so good, I love the woods. I say running on a treadmill is wayyyy to easy. Walk through the woods you gotta duck, weave, bow, stretch, balance, high knee, jump sometimes, lunge just to get by trees, keep an eye out for face swatters(branches), you gotta feel.No trails, those are carved out & to easy. That is what people in today's world are missing. Nature. Straight up.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SatansPride

I agree with everything you just said.

I am fortunate enough to live in Alaska where it is totally possible to unplug and become immersed in nature.

I wasted the past few summers in active addiction, this season will not be like that.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Yeah pretty much its not a bad thing. My dad told me bout this drunk porcupine kept eating rotten apples for weeks at work lol. I don't kill any animals at all even if they hurt me so he grabbed bees outta my room with his hand lol put em outside cuz I was gon get like a cup & plate lol just thought of it. My uncle was in our house with a hole in his stomach cuz he quit cold turkey he did so much. It's worse than an old person... Do it up!!! You can do whatever you put your mind toooo!!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yeah pretty much its not a bad thing.

What is not bad thing?

My dad told me bout this drunk porcupine kept eating rotten apples for weeks at work lol. 

The porcupine was drunk from fermented apples?

I don't kill any animals at all even if they hurt me

Me neither, well, unless the animal was hurting me or my family. Other than that I can't kill animals, it makes me feel terrible.

so he grabbed bees outta my room with his hand

You keep bees in your room? And what was the purpose of grabbing bees in regard to the drunken porcupine?

I was gon get like a cup & plate lol just thought of it. 

To capture the bees?

My uncle was in our house with a hole in his stomach cuz he quit cold turkey he did so much

Quit what cold turkey?

It's worse than an old person.

Lol😅

Do it up!!! You can do whatever you put your mind toooo!!

That could either be really good advice, or really bad advice.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Nit a bad thing to release every now & again. Yeah the porcupine would spend a couple hours eating em & wabble back in the woods lol. If it's an animal that can due some damage I'd protect us but yeah most are harmless, usually people kills em out of fear or disgust. Lol the bees had nothin to do with the prickerpine, just a thought about not hurting animals. I was to scared cause they flew in the house cause the door was open & it was kind of a, don't fear what you care about thing to me. & Yeah don't try to fly I guess without doing a 4 step backup off a tree first

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yeah that four step back up off a tree is a critical move for all kinds of stunts.

We have porcupines here where I live.

Did you know that they climb trees and hang out up in the branches? They look like little black bears climbing.

When I learned that I wondered how many times I have obliviously walked underneath them in my life.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I saw it once a few years ago lol it's funny. Made me wonder bout Fisher cats & like what's up there lol cause I got dogs that I don't leash but they stay close enough just in case. I use to Free run a lot with a buddy & only once did he nail a four step backflip off a tree, then he was able to break a barrier in his mind he was trying to for awhile. Started jogging 8 miles at a time, doing huuuge flips easy, & we were equal till he did that, like I gainered first & stuff. 4 steps I believe like he kinda described it is the feeling like anything is possible. If you can do four steps on the tree we practiced on, you could do it more quick. 3 was easy. 4 was fighting foot slip & push off all at once

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I have always wanted to do that backflip off a wall. Never quite had the guts to try. I can backflip on my snowboard, and off a cliff, but not off a tree or wall. That's some ninja stuff.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
ATS members,

Do you believe addiction is a disease?

Do you believe addiction can be cured?

Is addiction just a chemical dependency, or is there more to it?

Is alcoholism separate from drug addiction?

Is addiction hereditary?

Could an alcoholic ever drink like a normal person?

Could an addict ever use recreationally?

Is cannabis a drug? A gateway drug? Is it possible for a recovering addict to use only cannabis and not eventually relapse?

Is recovery possible without God, or a higher power?

What role does willpower play in recovery from addiction?

Yes.

No, but it can be managed and treated from what I've seen.

I think it changes the way the users brain is wired so to speak, it can certainly cause or exaggerate a chemical imbalance, dependency, etc...

Not in my opinion, no.

Yes I believe it can be in some cases but not all.

Sure.

Sure.

Yes, no, yes.

Of course.

It plays an immense role, and I think that step is a key factor for many who struggle to deal with their addictions.

Anyhow there are my overall answers.

If you or someone you know is going through addiction right now, just know that A lot of us know what is involved either being an addict, or being related, or close to one and being affected by that lifestyle/ their lifestyle. Best wishes and hopes.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I just remember when I had that first beer at age 14. Suddenly I was the life of the party, I was cool and sociable. So I fell in love with that feeling and I could not stop.

I wish I was 'cool and sociable', I got high for the feeling of being high itself.

When I was a kid i liked spinning around and rolling down hills to get a rush. Amusement park rides, jumping off high places, going fast in cars. The first time I actually got high I realized that was what I was looking for. And yah it helped me lose my inhibitions in social situations, too.

I didn't want to appear vulnerable, I wanted to be strong, funny, likable, etc. Everyone does.

The good thing about that is all of us want that, just you got sidetracked with the partying. Once you kick that (for good) you can go back to being you, the real you under all that facade we all carry around.

The baggage. Whats in your baggage? Share that with someone... that hard step you been keeping bottled up.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

That's sweet, I use to snowboard but could only rail no flips. That must be fun & feel awesome. It's easier than a backflip on a trampoline by far. As long as your foot doesn't slide you usually end up over flipping & falling on your butt till you get when to put your feet down quick enough. It's all about trying to knee yourself in the chest as hard as you can & you just flip right around. I spent like at least 50 times just running up & planting my foot & pushing off till I dare to try it, once I did though, it's way easier than a tramp flip

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Day 4 again.

Withdrawals have pretty much subsided.

The wife is in the detox center awaiting her transfer to the same inpatient rehab that changed my life and gave me 109 days clean before relapse.

You can tell I'm sober when my posts aren't ridiculously lengthy and manic.

I don't think I'll relapse again but I didn't think I was going to in the first place.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

That's sweet, I use to snowboard but could only rail no flips. That must be fun & feel awesome. It's easier than a backflip on a trampoline by far. As long as your foot doesn't slide you usually end up over flipping & falling on your butt till you get when to put your feet down quick enough. It's all about trying to knee yourself in the chest as hard as you can & you just flip right around. I spent like at least 50 times just running up & planting my foot & pushing off till I dare to try it, once I did though, it's way easier than a tramp flip

Thats gotta feel so good. Some real ninja stuff right there. I bet I could do it if I had the guts to try.

I would need a padded floor at least.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I went through a solid couple of years of drinking a half-gallon of distilled spirits and a 12-pack of malt liquor a day.
Probably would have killed your average Joe.
I moved to a new place and decided to quit. Cold-turkey.
What a nightmare.
I still enjoy a few beers.
A shot or two here and there, but I keep that dog on a leash.
If someone passes me a bottle I say no.
I will guzzle it down like water.
Have to be responsible.
Other inebriants...opioids and stimulants never did much for me.
The demon alcohol grabbed me right by the nuts.
We have a relationship.
I have to keep that bitch in check.
edit on 15-4-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Paul Hedderman was an addict - alcohol and drugs - and went to AA and stopped using.
In this video he speaks about the 12 step program and how it lead to a spiritual awakening.

posted on Apr, 16 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is me and my buddies on any typical weekend.
This sort of thing everyday takes a toll.
The animals here only get this sort of debauchery once a year.
Doing it every day is unique to humans as far as I'm aware.
But, damn...it is funny to watch.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the posts you guys.

Day 7

I'm sitting in the doctor's office right now getting ready to take my first naltrexone pill.

Hopefully this'll be a game changer.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Duplicate post.
edit on 17-4-2018 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join