Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What do you believe Christians believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm just curious. I just read an article where someone was saying Christians were activly seeking to destroy the environment since it would bring about the end times. On top of that misconception, they went on to say the end times would be when the righteous go to heaven and the sinners are cast into hellfire.

So I'm curious as to what non-Christians believe Christians believe, and why you believe we believe it.

Golly, how many more times can I say believe in a sentance? Lemme try one more:

I believe, in short, that I'm asking you to believe it would be a good idea to state your beliefs on Christian beliefs as a whole belief group, not on an individual believer's beliefs (such as stating all Christians believe as Jerry Falwell believes unless you believe we do.)

Hehe 10 times in one sentance

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is an easy one.

I believe christians believe what they are told to believe. The bible tells them to believe in an impossible flood, even though it contradicts any logic and physical evidence. They believe it because they are told to.

Christians are told to believe that God hears their prayers and answers them. (Mind you not always the way you want him too...interesting, almost as if God really doesnt care what you have to say and follows his own agenda). They are told to believe God has a plan. Directly contradicting the fact that it would remove them from having free will, and subsequently mean God sends people to hell without them even having a choice.

They are told to believe all the animals in the world, including dinosaurs were to have fit on a boat that was 450 feet long. Hardly enough to fit 1000 pasangers with food for a week. They are told to believe it, so they do. Even though it isn't logical.

They are told to believe this, that, and hobscothfroken, and they do. Never questioning, and I mean NEVER questioning what they are told. They even go as far as quoting verses out of the bible forbidding questioning.

They believe what they are told to.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thats not true sea people, some people have actual real faith, and have seen it.

About the end times, I think the freemasons are bringing this about, as it says in rev. 17:17, which could explain how the freemasons have
infiltrated the vatican and completely taken it over since V2 while hiding uder a council that seems traditional on the outside.

" give their kingdom over to satan "

satan is working through his followers to bring about these end times, and through that drag billions of souls down with him or try to.

peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Then how do we filter contradicting information if we simply believe what we're told? There are preachers out there who say we need to celebrate the sabbath, some who say we don't, and some who say it needs to be celebrated on a Saturday. There are preachers who say there is no Hell, others who say there is. I've heard all of those opinions before. So how do Christians filter through this information if they just believe what they're told to believe?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Then how do we filter contradicting information if we simply believe what we're told? There are preachers out there who say we need to celebrate the sabbath, some who say we don't, and some who say it needs to be celebrated on a Saturday. There are preachers who say there is no Hell, others who say there is. I've heard all of those opinions before. So how do Christians filter through this information if they just believe what they're told to believe?

They don't.

A man is born into a catholic family. He is raised catholic, and thats what he is taught and told. He believes it.

Another man is born pentecostal. He is raised that way. He believes it.

Both religions are christian, but they are significantly different. They are told what to believe by someone else who was told the same.

Along the line opinions form by your experience. This get complicated, but is observable even on this forum. They are raised to believe in this or that. When challenged they may for instance site a law in physics, such as disorder or something like that to support their veiw (even though it is skewed info). Later that same day they will change what they believe. They will blast sciences and physics and call it nonsense.

You see, they didn't filter on the whole. They only filtered relevant to the topic to suit their views. The next day, they do an entirely independent filtering process. This process almost is always second hand as well. Christians have a built in "search others for answers" mode. They refer to very biased websites and such, repeating the information they read even if they know its wrong. They believe what they are told again. They don't check on their own, because that would require an independent opinion from their specific church.

This applies to about 99% of christians. For that one percent, if any are reading....sorry.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
" 99% "

I am part of the one percent who grew up the opposite of a true christian family, never even knew who Jesus or
what a Christian was until I was 18, im 23 now. God literally, God through his grace and miracles taught me this stuff. I was
not raised nowhere near christian, raised with morals but not with Christ.

Believe it if you want but its true.

peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Odd, I guess I'm part of that 1%, too. I was raised by a mother who believed in her own religion, that God was math and chance and didn't have anything to do with us on an individual level. My dad, on the other hand, didn't share what he believed because my mom believed her children should be made aware of all sides of religion (except for Christianity) to come to their own opinion. I was an athiest, and a darn proud one, all the way up until I was 21. It took me leaving the state I grew up in and working at a fast food joint where the owner first shared the Gospel with me. I laughed, because he needed this crutch to support him while we strong willed people didn't need this "God" thing to lean on. After all, science explained everything.

I am nowhere near that anymore, as I'm sure you've been able to tell from my posts.

[edit on 2-17-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No, neither of you are even close to being part of that 1%. Don't kid yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
No, neither of you are even close to being part of that 1%. Don't kid yourself.

Then why don't we believe what our parents told us to believe? Why don't we believe what you tell us to believe?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I believe they believe in Jesus n' stuff.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel

hehe But my fellow Chicagoian, what does that "stuff" part entail, or is that the extent of thought you've given it?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Christians believe that YAHSHUA (Jesus) Christ, Son fo God , came to Earth to teach a gospel of Love and Mercy, and to die on the Cross as a sacrifice for ALL sins.
By believing in YAHSHUA, accepting Him in YOUR heart and doing HIS GOOD works you will enter the Gates of Heaven...AMEN!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So SeaPeople...are you one of those that only believ what they see???

have you seen a"micro-wave"?? no... but you have seen its work...

have you seen the wind?? no... but you seen it work and you feel it in you ...

Faith goes the same way... you dont have to see it ...YOU FEEL IT !...

and by the way ..i was born in a catholci family , and i dropped out from catholic church and christianity..so much for your "thats what they are thought" theory

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ahhh, baast, you attack as well. Buddy, I have never seen a microwave with my eyes, but that is not always reality. Most of reality is mathematics. If mathematics tells you something exists, such as a frequency that can cook a meal, then it does. I don't always believe what I see. I believe what the numbers tell me.

What you fail to realize I am sure is this. Math is universal, it does not lie.

5+5 will always equal 10. There is nothing even your god can do about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
" For the other 1% im sorry "

Yea but even the one percent you don't believe, how can you be sorry? Me and Jake told you sincere journeys into
how we believe Christ, and yu still unsincerely shrug it off as if it were nothing.

Hopefully any reader with common sense knows this. Its truly amazing.

God Bless.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel

hehe But my fellow Chicagoian, what does that "stuff" part entail, or is that the extent of thought you've given it?

In a sweeping generalization of what all Chrisitans believe in, I think thats about all I could say. They all have slightly differing beliefs on salvation, the church, the end times, the rapture, evolution or creation, etc. So I really couldnt say much else than "Christians believe in Jesus." And I think that's even stretching it. Most people just say they are Christian because they were raised that way, but they've not even read the Bible, or just believe whatever they want but somehow tie Jesus into there without much thought into the grand scheme of their professed religion. You could always say "well, there arent REALLY christians", but what is "really" a Christian? It's the "no true-scottsman" falacy. It goes something like this: Scottsman #1: "No TRUE scottsman wears the color blue!!!!"
Scottsman #2: "Uh, well, I'm a scottsman, and I sometimes wear the color blue."
Scottsman #1: "A-ha! You arent a true scottsman!"
Scottsman#2: "Yes I am!"
Scottsman#1:" No, you arent!" etc. etc.

So really, the only generalization I could make of all Christians is that they all somehow believe in Jesus.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
There are simply too many types of Christianity for me to answer this question completely. It would take at least a week to answer properly and would probably fill an encyclopedia. To give a very short and incomplete answer, I will focus on the very best and very worst aspects as I see them.

At Worst:
Christians feel that there is an after-life. Whether it is a pleasant experience or not hinges upon several factors, one of which is the death of Jesus. Christians believe that an all powerful, omnipotent God created a situation in which only the brutal murder of His own son would allow Him to forgive people for what ever they have done wrong, and thereby grant these people a pleasant after-life.
I see this as a negative because it leads Christians to believe that they are personally responsible for what happened to Jesus. I have seen Christians carry terrible guilt about this. Hey, you folks didn’t make the "rules" to this system of things and you weren't there the day Jesus died.

Many Christians believe that they are on the only right path and everyone else is wrong. So wrong in fact, that it is the Christian's place in life to show everyone else how wrong they are. Some Christians believe that they are in fact so very right that no non-Christian deserves any respect what so ever for their beliefs. Some Christians will say that the Christian Bible is the only sacred text ever written and that it is the only source of spiritual information. They will at times quote the Bible to others (even those who do not believe in it) as if that is absolute proof.
At times it appears that some Christians do not realize that there are other religions. The practitioners of these other religions may be worshipping the same Creative Force as a Christian, yet not through the same means. Yet, to the Christian, spirituality seems to take on a "black or white only" quality. These Christians believe that anyone who does not bear the title "Christian" is a Satanist or is evil in some way.

Then there are the lunatic fringe who want to kill everyone who isn't a Christian and there are those who use Christianity to bilk people of their life savings.

At Best:
Christianity provides hope. Humans often need to know that there is someone bigger out there in the universe who has their best interest at heart. An all powerful Christian God with a real plan for humanity gives that hope and security that some seek.

Because of the words found in the New Testament in the Christian Bible, some Christians believe in finding non-violent ways to solve problems and are slow to fight or wage war - on both a personal and global scale.

Believing that Jesus intends for his followers to take care of others, many Christian churches are charitable in nature. They exercise great social responsibility in their communities and throughout the world. I have seen Christians go to tremendous extremes to help others. I personally know of no finer example of humanity than Mother Teresa - a real life example in my own life time of a Christian who dedicated her life to helping others and doing her God's work. If she hasn't been sainted yet, she should be.

Many Christians believe that they have a close, personal relationship with their creator. This is one thing, that in my opinion, cannot be argued with. A person knows in their heart whether or not they are in touch with the Divine / Higher Power / Creator / etc. If a person seeks spirituality and knows in their heart they have found it, then in my way of thinking, it is absolute. Although I believe that there are many ways to develop a relationship with one's creator, Christians have found what works for them. This relationship is so special, so sacred, that once a mortal of any faith has found it, I believe that no one has a right to try to destroy it.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Ahhh, baast, you attack as well. .......... [/qote]

i was not attacking you SEA... i was "pocking" you ...lol

I don't always believe what I see. I believe what the numbers tell me.

how can you not believ what you see ? you mean this in a metaphoric way??

There is nothing even your god can do about it.

i dont really have a God... im still searching...........

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
there is ONLY one type of Christian

the meaning of the word Christian = follower of Christ .

as simple as that , but man had to make it complicated and come up wit thousands of denominations that "bark" at eachother over who is right or wrong...UNITY is Strenght.....................................

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I was raised as a catholic
I was sent to all the classes
My family is catholic
My dog tags are stamped cathoic

I finally read the bible around age 23

I am no longer catholic

So much for believing what I am told to believe

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>