It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musing on Smartphone Tracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This probably isn't worthy of making it to the Above boards.

I'm thinking about ads for fingerprint and facial ID for your smartphones. Yeah, most of us knew this tech existed already, and that it could only be used for nefarious reasons. But why is it being shoved at us like it's a good thing?

How dumb do these providers think we are? Probably best not to answer that!

Are consumers really impressed with this? Not only are we supposed to be amused, we're supposed to embrace it and be thankful for it.

Hey, your tracking device can now ID you. It's watching you now more than ever! Cool huh?

I just can't imagine one person with relatively normal intelligence looking at this as something they want to have, and pay for it to boot.

I want to go off-topic a little bit. I've noticed I only seem to get scam calls within 30 minutes of me messing around with my phone a bit. I can be on the terlet posting on ATS, and then I'll get a scam call like 5 minutes later. I can check my email in the morning, and get a scam call soon after.

Forget RFID chips and implants and such. We already carry our government spy tool with us everywhere, and we love it! We can't imagine living a day without it.

How does anyone think this is ok?? The frog is boiled well done by now.

edit on 3-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You have to be all kinds of stupid to help the NSA gather your fingerprints and add to their facial recognition database.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
They already have both. All passports and "enhanced" driver's licenses have facial recognition along with an RFID chip. Only a few states still do not conform to the Federal ID laws, and that won't last. My fingerprints have been in the system since I was 16 and took a federal job, again in the military, again for a CCL. I forget if they took them when I was arrested or not. I was still a juvenile at the time. If I can use fingerprint ID to prevent someone else from using my cell phone, it's okay with me. If you seriously think you can avoid the system by being very clever, you're delusional.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
I just can shake my head about people that pay for and use such spying devices like anything that is called "smart".
"Smart" is if you don´t use these miniature StaSi and GeStaPo agents!

I just use a mobile phone for 20 Euro. No GPS and internet crap, i don´t care for the camera because i don´t do selfies or take pictures of my meals. I want a mobile phone just for...telephoning and sometimes to write a SMS(btw nothing else than a Whatsapp message, serves the same purpose).

But nowadays you have to check the people that ask you for your number first. If they use spyPhones, Facebook/Whatsapp and all that crap, i tell them they can have my number only if they write anything but my real name into their spying devices, otherwise no number. And i check it live while the person writes down name and number there. I use an anonymous sim card(you can´t even buy them anymore in Germany) and i want it to stay anonymous!

And the purpose of fingerprint and facial ID is clear, most people had never really to do with the police, so the "protectors" need another way to get your fingerprints and biometrical pics.

But hey, these are all just silly conspiracy theories of an anti-technology weirdo that lives under a rock, in the times when the whole world still was b/w...

The best slaves are those that love and even pay for their own chains, that love to be slaves (which have nothing to hide anyway), without knowing it!

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That sounds like a perfect surveillance state.

Even in Germany you are not under observation like that.
They don´t have fingerprints and/or biometrical pics of me because of the ID, the "Personalausweis" here. When i was there the last time they asked me if i want to give all that spying crap to them, i surely denied. Now i have ten years time again, maybe then we are forced to leave all that stuff to get a renewed ID.

So, in a not so advanced surveillance state like yours(where they know anyway everything about you and have all necessary data and recognition features) it makes sense to make it not too easy for the spies to spy.

Nobody makes my work easier for me, why should i make the work of those that spy on me easier?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I had to give s&f for the hope you still have in mankind.
They will love it. Eat it up. Everything automatized. Your fridge shops for you. Want something extra? In this bright future it's one thought away.
What's not to love are you a criminal?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It was planned decades ago. The government needed accurate up to date databases on individuals for various purposes. They would never be able to get the public to go along with the government having that much information on a national database, nor could they afford to do so. The solution was to let the private sector gather the data, resell it for advertising, marketing and credit references to cover the costs.

There were knock-on effects in the demand for server, database and networking products snowballed. All those companies like Sun, Oracle, Cisco just made megabucks. Then with mass market PC's and mobile devices, social networking and instant-messaging takes over as it replaces the old fashioned noticeboards in schools and colleges and the delays involved with forums and email. That ramps up analytic data and advertising revenue by magnitudes.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Nobody's a criminal, until they decide that you are.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Still using an old throw down clam.
I'll use a smart phone when they pry it into my cold dead fingers.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I was portraying which argument "they" the good citizens, are already using why being watched isn't that bad if you got nothing to hide.
I was going from a listing of stuff that's great, Amazon delivery the same time as it takes for a Pizza. In case you didn't notice.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Yes: my post was a play off of your idea.

We buy-in to convenience, without reading the small-print, and realizing we've been hooked like a fish taking a baited worm.

Like a spoonful of sugar helps a parent get the medicine into their child.

We think we are good folks, with nothing to worry about.
Until one day: something happens, and you become a "person of interest".
Then all of those 300 data points that Facetrick; GooTube; and/or Cambridge Analytica holds on all of us, are used against the individual.
Crafty statisticians can make that data look as good, or as bad as is needed.

new topics

top topics

join