It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Book burners are at it again

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I did not see the video, but I kind of get it from the comment of seagull:

The destruction of a historical site is not the same as the removing of a statue.

First, there might be no other historical source from that time telling us what or when or why this was built. So it is the only remaining part containing all available knowledge about it itself.
Second, as I said, if the public opinion is to remove a statue/monument, no one should bat an eye. In the case you mentioned (by posting a video without any personal opinion, why do I even spend time answering this crappy kind of posting?), there was a militia occupying a country and destroying things they don't like. Something like Saddam Husseins statues, righto? Maybe the local people didn't want them removed and made their voices public. And it was a publicity stunt, because "look, we destroy what our holy book tells us to!" - they did not make fans with that kind of action, and I think they sensed that, too - no repeats as far as I heard.
Third, the sheer size of them.
Fourth, the amount of religious value represented by them.

They were statues destroyed by zealots. That’s what we see in this and most statue destruction.

But hey, it’s ok, because you can go read about Buddha and the Buddhas of Bamiyan in books. Isn’t that so?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It was a trick/loaded question kind of, but I'm guessing you figured that out and got it correct.

Good job...and I agree with your posture in the OP as well.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There's no trick about this.

I don't have a right to dictate. My ideology, my beliefs don't advocate for that either.

I believe in freedom.

Period.

Even if it means accepting the fact that some will deliberately vote away/give away their freedoms.

Living in a free society means that we also have the freedom to change it, give those freedoms up. I would be no better than the authoritarian book-burning douche-bags, if my stance didn't allow for people to actually have the freedom to give their freedoms away.

I will be outspoken, but I would never silence people.

Even authoritarian book-burning douche-bags have the right to free expression.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's not about history, heritage or hate.
It's about removing symbols of resistance.
The frenzy to remove Confederate symbols is part of disarming the population, removing a moment in history when half the country stood up to defend themselves against the other half invading them. It wasn't a civil war, it was an invasion by the Federal government.
edit on 3-4-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Are you referring to the "War of Northern Aggression"?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I guess all art depicting Satan must go. What? Robert E Lee isn't allowed but SATAN is just fine? What about all the Roman emporers? Destroy their statues! They were EVIL...... END OF DISCUSSION.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I wonder if a statue of say John Brown was to be taken down would people feel the same way

Personally I doubt it

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Are you referring to the "War of Northern Aggression"?

If you lived in Georgia what else would you call when Sherman's army burned Atlanta then destroyed a 40 mile wide swath all the way to Savannah?

Secession is not rebellion.
Resisting invasion is not treason.
No one was even tried for treason after the war.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Just out of interest, how am I supposed to look up a person who had been made into a statue, if there is no statue and no hint that there ever was one. I will actually never get to know that there is someone I 'could' look up on the internet.

Who here doesn't get this simple conundrum?

If I go to another country and walk through a park and then go home, how will I know what I missed?
I don't get it. Surely, keeping a statue and giving literally details about this person will be the only way I ever hear about them?

Bookburners, the lot of them. Their opinion is the only legal opinion and everyone else is wrong and a bastard, like the isis people believe.

I know why though. because it could be that some of the people whose statues they remove might actually inspire someone to think about things. Can't have that.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Don't forget the pictures.

So what if you can't go and see them in person anymore?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You can throw a bible in a toilet and call it art.

But by GOD don't you immortalize and American that fought and died for what they believed in.

Right or wrong is an after thought, and a privilege decades later.

I can't stand those people.

Biggest GD hypcrites there are.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

More than 25 cities across the United States have removed or relocated Confederate statues and monuments amid an intense nationwide debate about race and history.
After a “Unite the Right” rally in Virginia in August to protest against the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee resulted in the death of a woman who was demonstrating against white supremacy, other cities have decided to remove Confederate statues.
Many of the controversial mouments were dedicated in the early twentieth century or during the height of the Civil Rights Movement. Discussions are under way about the removal of monuments in Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, Pensacola, Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, Richmond, Virginia, Birmingham, Alabama, and Charlottesville, Virginia.
Here is a running list of all the monuments and statues that have been removed and the cities that have taken them down:

See link for all the places the censors and book burners have been busy.

www.foxnews.com...

Statues are art. They are representations of individuals who have lived at other times.

Does it matter who they are?

Statues are physical representations. Books are literary representations.

When will we see books being "removed for our safety"?

This is a direct assault on free speech, free expression.

In my humble opinion.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. I feel like statues are celebrations of people from the past. Times change, belief systems change and they no longer want to celebrate people who don't agree with their belief system any longer. Completely fine with the changes.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
You can throw a bible in a toilet and call it art.

But by GOD don't you immortalize and American that fought and died for what they believed in.

Right or wrong is an after thought, and a privilege decades later.

I can't stand those people.

Biggest GD hypcrites there are.

They were not Americans. That is kind of the point. They were fighting AGAINST Americans in combat. That would be like having a statue of Hitler in the middle of France...
edit on 6-4-2018 by DoubleDNH because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join