It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Researchers: Typing Style Can Be Password

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Vir Phoha and Sunil Babu of Louisiana Tech have developed a technology with others at The Pennsylvania State University that uses typing style as a password. According to the researchers, who spent five year developing this technology, one's typing style is unique and such things as how long it takes to strike a key and time between keystrokes are used in the process. This discovery will provide Louisiana Tech with its first direct royalty income.

www.comcast.net
The way you type is as unique as your eye color or speech patterns and can be used instead of a password to protect your computer, researchers at Louisiana Tech and Penn State say.

Their discovery will bring Louisiana Tech its first direct royalty income, university president Daniel D. Reneau said in signing a joint licensing agreement with BioPassword Inc. of Issaquah, Wash.

Vir Phoha, associate professor of computer science, and former graduate student Sunil Babu worked with others at The Pennsylvania State University to create the technology over five years of research.

"We look at the time between keystrokes, and the time it takes to press a key," Phoha said

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, all I've got to say is that this might work with good typists, but even though I learned to type in high school, my typing skills are marginal, to say the least and I really don't think there is anything about my typing that is uniform, except the fact that I make a lot of mistakes. Thank God for the world processor. I got through college with a typewriter that was so worn out that it produced a page of wavy lines and correcting mistakes was a grueling process.

However, if this technology is affordable, I think I would like to have it as just one more layer of protection for my computer. I already use passwords so complex, I have a problem typing them correctly, even after several tries and I also have a biometric system in place.

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
abcnews.go.com

[edit on 05/2/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure the point of this. If a "password" is generated with this concept, there are a lot of variables that need to be accounted for. One of the most important, is quality (and cleanliness) of the keyboard,. One damaged, or evel slightly slow key, would either lock you out of they system, or not allow you in if the "password" was generated with the sticky keyboard.

Sorry to say it, but people need to quit being lazy. No one allows a construction worker to not understand all about the crane he is operating, but we allow computer users to have no care or responsibility about securing their systems. The simple ideas using "strong" passwords, work well enough. Physical security, and well-patched and updated systems, completes the rest.

Any individual or entity who cracks past the above, will get past *anything* eventually. The trick is, well, keep your critical stuff from even looking like a target.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
No one allows a construction worker to not understand all about the crane he is operating, but we allow computer users to have no care or responsibility about securing their systems.

"Say, Bud! You got a license to operate that computer?"

I'm skeptical of this as well, as my typing skill are so poor and I sometimes have to type the same word over ten times to get it right, but I would imagine that the software takes into account myriad variable and that something as simple as sticky key isn't going to shut the system down. I would also expect that a manual override would be available, as well.

People are just code and passworded out. Where I used to work, there was a password for the parking lot, the building, every floor, the computer, your phone, not to mention the passwords you create all the time for websites, etc.

If it works, this is an idea whose time has come.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have so many passwords, I rely on a third-party password manager (one other than supplied by windows or my browser).
I can't imagaine that this one password could be used for every password I use on the internet.
It would be nice, but I remain skeptical.
It it works, I probably can't afford it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This device is not perfect, but I like it.

www.digitalpersona.com...

new topics

top topics

join