It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is everything being on a precise time schedule causing our unhappiness?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: SR1TX
Life is 100% less stressful than it was 100 years ago. 200% less stressful than 200 years ago.

You all make bad decisions which is what leads to your unhappiness.

what i have been reading says otherwise but i dont know for sure.
workload and safety and such is not what i am talking about.

dudes sure seemed to have lots of time for the saloons and # and local watering holes back in the day

You are reading Baby Boomer, Gen X, and Millennial hog wash. They all want to live like Real World Seattle and because they are not they are depressed. Expectation vs Reality are 2 different things and unfortunately because most people don't put D*** worth of effort into their lives to make them better, the Expectation is always falling short.

So many whiny B****y people out there.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

what machine?
the machine man. life. society

and i think things are moving faster

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Farming to feed his family or farming to sell and earn a paycheck from? The current farming industry is a product of industrialization which is a huge reason we have our current way of life.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

what machine?
the machine man. life. society

and i think things are moving faster

There is no such thing. You are watching too much TV - News.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You can look at countries where subsistence farming is a way of life to see how much fun those people have and how much leisure time, too.

One bad harvest and everyone starves! Wee!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So you disagree that our current way of life pulls us away from family and loved ones for large portions of our lives? The difference between then and now is that farming and hunting were done with family and friends. The work we did directly benefited those around us, there was no middleman breathing down our necks.

Yes, modernity has brought plenty of benefits but it has also brought plenty of negative side effects. You don't see what happens to your food before you eat it, and even if you "know" you ignore it because it's easy to.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So you disagree that our current way of life pulls us away from family and loved ones for large portions of our lives? The difference between then and now is that farming and hunting were done with family and friends. The work we did directly benefited those around us, there was no middleman breathing down our necks.

thats a part of it too.
even if the family were in the fields together you were out there with your family.
not trying to make like life was awesome.

you can hear some of the old time country and rockabilly people talk about it.

there is a documentary on netflix called the winding stream with johnny cash and the carters. its awesome

anyway a great deal of them got their singing chops up by being in the fields with their parents singing hymns and #.

at least when youre with your family you are with people you love, not people you detest(for the most part)

i work with a lot of different people. i have to interact with dudes i cant stand.
hell my boss is the worst one. ok as far as work # goes but i detest him as a human. its hard.

that # has to weigh on people.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Yes, modernity has brought plenty of benefits but it has also brought plenty of negative side effects. You don't see what happens to your food before you eat it, and even if you "know" you ignore it because it's easy to.

You wanting to spend time with loved ones implies they want to with you as well. Kids love independence, sorry to burst your cozy bubble.

My mom grew up in Mexico and witnessed the Chickens heads getting cut off and bodies running around until it stopped.

Is that the image you want your kids seeing? Not being able to ever forget it? Is that what i am hearing?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

thats a part of it too.
even if the family were in the fields together you were out there with your family.
not trying to make like life was awesome.

you can hear some of the old time country and rockabilly people talk about it.

there is a documentary on netflix called the winding stream with johnny cash and the carters. its awesome

anyway a great deal of them got their singing chops up by being in the fields with their parents singing hymns and #.

at least when youre with your family you are with people you love, not people you detest(for the most part)

i work with a lot of different people. i have to interact with dudes i cant stand.
hell my boss is the worst one. ok as far as work # goes but i detest him as a human. its hard.

that # has to weigh on people.

Most people hate their boss. Why do you feel you are different or that this is not common place?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I think you'll find that life has always pulled people away from their family for large portions of our lives for various reasons going all the way back to our earliest days.

I think you guys are romanticizing a life you've never lived.

The grass is always greener and all that ...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

youre just trying to create an argument and there is none and you know it

how do you know your family wants to spend time with you and everyone hates their boss

well not everyone hates their boss for one and not everyone that does despises how they are as a human being.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Incidentally, many of the modern conveniences we enjoy -- like the computers we're using to communicate with -- are dependent on chemistry.

Have you ever tried doing chemistry on your time rather than on the timeline of the experiment? It doesn't work out very well ... same with cooking (but that is chemistry). Medications are also dependent on outside timelines and schedules thanks to the ways that biological organisms grow.

So many of things in modern life are dependent not on you, but on adapting your preferences to outside realities ... just like farming and hunting and gathering were back in the day.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Lol you ignored my argument...

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy a reply to: ketsuko That's the weird thing, I like working at home, cleaning, maintenance etc, but working for money only inspires me for the money so I only do enough to raise the money I need for whatever life essentials. I'd rather fix up my own car than work for someone who is paying me for the job, strange maybe, just a psychological thing I guess.

Lol you ignored my post.

edit on 2-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

New member so # him, usual ATS style thing lol

I thought you were better than that TST?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

You wanting to spend time with loved ones implies they want to with you as well. Kids love independence, sorry to burst your cozy bubble.

And when does that independence usually come? Around 18 years old if not later. That's a lot of time being dropped off at school and being raised by what basically amount to strangers while your parents work at a job they more than likely hate. Kids are by and large raised by the state and the rules that govern their schools. There is barely any family dynamic in today's society, at least when compared to what was in the past.

My mom grew up in Mexico and witnessed the Chickens heads getting cut off and bodies running around until it stopped.

We seemed to have done fine for the thousands of years before modern times. What's wrong with killing your own food?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I think you'll find that life has always pulled people away from their family for large portions of our lives for various reasons going all the way back to our earliest days.

To the extent we have today? Not even close.

I think you guys are romanticizing a life you've never lived.

Probably because I see the damage the kind of life we live today has on our environment.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yessssssssss

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The member doesn't represent comments inthis thread, but they can try.
I look forward to reading their argument.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

today i have to be at work by 7am. if i punch in even 1 minute late i get docked or written up or whatever.
lunch is fro 12:30-1. thats it.
i get off at 3:30

Ugg, that gave me shivers.
I used to have a job like that when I was younger. sucked. I hate punchcards and little timelord Hitlers watching every minute. I am always late...always. Some sort of subconscious rebellion I guess. I can literally wake up 3 hours early and somehow will always be at minimum 10 minutes late...sometimes up to 45 minutes late...but I make it up and always stay late. sometimes several hours late just working on something....so in "real" jobs, people don't care about my morning tardiness. That and I am not in a industry where I am screwing someone over by not being on time.

Yes, clockwatching makes people more stressed, but it also allows for a lot more organization, so there are pros and cons.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I think perhaps because many people have too many deadlines/schedules that they must constantly meet/follow. People are always so busy with so many things, which is due in part because of how fast-paced everything is these days.

I realized a long time ago that, while there will always be "things we have to do," and there will always be deadlines and schedules, one must balance that with putting oneself outside of deadlines/schedules, mentally (and even physically).

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Man I just tell people I am never late, nor am I early...A wizard arrives precisely when he means to

But yes, you're correct 100%

edit on 3-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join