It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood's gay double standard

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Yuck.....

To each their own...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Want to see a movie about being gay in Hollywood WAY back. Check out Gods and Monsters. Also starring McKellan. And who knew Brenden Frazier could actually act?
Good movie.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You had me until you said brendan Frasier could act.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Showing men as idiots makes them appear weak.

That is emasculating.

You have a point to be fair, I see it a lot in adverts where the bloke is depicted as stupid.
Also objectification of men which would cause outrage if it was showing a woman in the same sense. Take this advert:

Now switch the gender to a blonde female and consider the womens groups who would be shouting from the rafters that the sexy girl has been objectified then called thick.
I laughed at the advert to be honest, but the double standards of depicting men and women in media exists and it's a pity, because I'd like to see a blonde female lifeguard running in slow motion and falling flat on her face for balance. Never happen these days though, the power balance has shifted because...PC

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

He was fantastic in The Affair.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

People who have affairs don't tend to publicise it either . If you ask gay men , some of them will say that you have to be a real man to stomach the idea of 'the kissing scene' , and that's partly why it becomes an erotic experience for them . Almost, divinely horrific, as they say it . Are you sure you haven't repressed your own feelings , for to bring up such a topic as this ?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Uh no.
I am very secure in my sexuality. I have no problem saying Ryan Reynolds is a very fine looking man.
But no, I do not want to touch him.
My topic is double standards, whatever those standards may be.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I know. It shocked me too.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Let's see what a gay character thinks about this...

I love Andre Baugher.

link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Not sure about double standards...it's market forces, right? Male movie heroes get the girl and it'd break the 4th wall if the audience knew the actor didn't dig women. They represent a fantasy ideal for women to lust after and men to admire.

Actually....imagine if the male movie hero got the guy at the end of the movie?! That would be a twist in the movie no one would see if the supporting character was the female all along. No offense but I would probably throw up along with the 95% straight men out there.
edit on 2-4-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Interesting.
My wife doesn't care for that.

survey (of internet fanfiction) says that your wife excepted, a healthy number of ladies are for it

Well if Internet fan fiction says that......it MUST be gospel.

Don't you think the writers and fans of Internet fan fiction are just a little bit biased?

Right up there with stalkers.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: fiverx313

Interesting.
My wife doesn't care for that.

survey (of internet fanfiction) says that your wife excepted, a healthy number of ladies are for it

Right up there with stalkers.

That's an unfair charachterization. Some are just sad and lonely rather than dangerous.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

It did not stop Doogie Howser from playing a womanizer on How I Met your mother.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

It did not stop Doogie Howser from playing a womanizer on How I Met your mother.

Pfft. What about the Harold and Kumar movies?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well , if you say so . I think you should reconsider regularly ..
It's nice to be so emancipated as to do that in The West

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

LOLOL again , how dare he not laugh ?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Anybody that feels the need to question their sexuality on a regular basis probably needs some professional psychiatric evaluation.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

What appeals to you about it?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

that's right - to liberate them from their chains . Clearly you're in such a juxtaposition , that created your aversion . Go get help

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Imprinting

My 20 year old son, the dumbass that he is, is incredibly insightful and says things that make me think. One of these gems, while we were discussing the whole Hollywood sexual harassment thing (and commenting how Tom Hanks would never be caught up in that), he said, "That is what makes him the greatest actor alive: he doesn't have all that baggage."

I considered this, and he's right. Tom Hanks has no real public opinions, nor any real public life beyond that which he volunteers to share. He is a blank slate that can have any character imprinted on him seamlessly.

Compare that to Tom Cruise, who I just can't get over in a movie role. I just see crazed scientologist jumping on Oprahs couch no matter what he does.

Same thing here...imprinting. To be believable in a role you have to be as white a canvas as possible.
edit on 4/2/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join