It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood's gay double standard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I came across this article today and thought it was interesting.

The idea that homosexuality is accepted openly today is kind of a double edged sword.
I think most of us don't hold judgement on anyone but there is still a stigma.

Men in Hollywood are staying closeted in fear of damaging their career. Not all of course but many.

I would guess that 95% of people being straight has something to do with it. I don't mind watching two women kiss on screen. Two men kissing gives me the creeps. Sorry, it's the truth. I have no ill will toward them, I just don't want to see it.

Am I alone There? Probably not.
Either way I found the article interesting.

www.indiewire.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not sure about double standards...it's market forces, right? Male movie heroes get the girl and it'd break the 4th wall if the audience knew the actor didn't dig women. They represent a fantasy ideal for women to lust after and men to admire.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I would call it a double standard. Hollywood has been emasculating men for years now.
You are probably right on the marketing thing but it hasn't stopped political agendas in Hollywood.
Just watch the last star wars.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You know what really weirds me out? Those folks who know everything about movie stars. Who they married, how many kids they have and their names, when the stars birthday is, how tall they are....ugh.
The same with sports figures.
I have my favorites, but other than that I think they're great actors, I know nothing about their private lives.
I don't care if someone is gay, straight or whatever, I care if they are good at what they do.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Agreed.
The less I know about them the more I like them...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

He'll yeah.
Only men can be strong and heroic

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Hollywood has been emasculating men for years now.

Really? Liam Neeson has a very particular set of skills, skills he acquired over a very long career of making action movies and I bet he has monster nards. So therefore: not gay.

I could probably name a few more.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Funny.
The commuter just got the tracker.
Guess the plot?

He is on a train and # pops off and he has to save the day.

His particular skill is acting in the same role the past 7 movies.

edit on 2-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

What annoys me is how some gay actors are being cast as overtly horny straight men because of that fact.

Neil Patrick Harris? gay-But in How I met your mother he's a vaginaholic. David Hyde Pierce? gay but in Frasier his infatuation with Daphne is borderline psychopathic.

We all knew those actors were gay but who gives a hoot? Yeah watching two people of the same sex kissing is uncomfortable to watch (if you are straight) and since most people are straight producers will go down the straight and narrow, because ratings.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
His particular skill is acting in the same role the past 7 movies.

Pretty much, but it kinda shows he's got mucho testosterone that Hollywood can't put a governor on.

On a side note, he should have won Father of the Year for letting his kid get snatched multiple times.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Hollywood has been emasculating men for years now.

Really? Liam Neeson has a very particular set of skills, skills he acquired over a very long career of making action movies and I bet he has monster nards. So therefore: not gay.

I could probably name a few more.

I'm sure I could make a nice long list of men in movies and television that have their balls on a shelf too.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I'm sure I could make a nice long list of men in movies and television that have their balls on a shelf too.

Humor me, make the list.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I came across this article today and thought it was interesting.

The idea that homosexuality is accepted openly today is kind of a double edged sword.
I think most of us don't hold judgement on anyone but there is still a stigma.

Men in Hollywood are staying closeted in fear of damaging their career. Not all of course but many.

I would guess that 95% of people being straight has something to do with it. I don't mind watching two women kiss on screen. Two men kissing gives me the creeps. Sorry, it's the truth. I have no ill will toward them, I just don't want to see it.

Am I alone There? Probably not.
Either way I found the article interesting.

www.indiewire.com...

the double standard in this department has to do with entertainment being skewed towards what men want to see.

lots of women enjoy seeing two guys kiss. i know i do.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Off topic but here is a brief off the top of my head few.

It started a few years ago so..

Home improvement... a goof.

Everybody loves raymond...a goof

Futurama....a goof.

Ever watch 2 and a half men?
3 male idiots.

I haven't even touched movies..

Men are actively being shown as idiots.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Interesting.
My wife doesn't care for that.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Men are actively being shown as idiots.

That does not equal emasculation.

And most of those shows are funny.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

What annoys me is how some gay actors are being cast as overtly horny straight men because of that fact.

Neil Patrick Harris? gay-But in How I met your mother he's a vaginaholic. David Hyde Pierce? gay but in Frasier his infatuation with Daphne is borderline psychopathic.

We all knew those actors were gay but who gives a hoot? Yeah watching two people of the same sex kissing is uncomfortable to watch (if you are straight) and since most people are straight producers will go down the straight and narrow, because ratings.

Gasp! Actors pretending in a movie! What is the world coming to.

Im sure it's a problem for actors who have decided to stay in the proverbial closet.

Gay people are gay, not stupid. They know their earning potential would be limited if they came out now after years of not. It's a tough predicament for them.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Showing men as idiots makes them appear weak.

That is emasculating.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Showing men as idiots makes them appear weak.

That is emasculating.

Except most men aren't weak, that's why it's funny, because it's a parody.

Plenty of dramas that show manly men doing man stuff with mucho gusto. Saul Berenson, manly man, Ray Donovan, super manly man, Jon Snow, mega manly man (and sorta like Jeebus), the list goes on.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

a reply to: fiverx313

Interesting.
My wife doesn't care for that.

survey (of internet fanfiction) says that your wife excepted, a healthy number of ladies are for it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join