It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventure in Takeout - ahoy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Greetings friends!

I have just ordered some chinese takeaway after a solid hankering for an omelette which got to the point it was all I could think of.

But... somehow....

After payment I seen Combination Black Pepper - not Combination Omelette which I checked before I sent payment.

Now, I could go the route of ringing up the restaurant and asking to change - I mean, its the same price and all...

And yeah I kind of desperately wanted that Omelette...

But I am a lazy kind a girl and don't like confusion or confrontation - and I am an adventurer in all matters food!

My question to you all - what kind of takeout adventures have you had, with food you didn't mean to order?

Any surprise hits? Have they broadened your taste horizons?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

The short answer is "Yes."
I've had mystery deliveries.
I just ate it.
I was hungry. No complaints.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Yo! Hello fellow Chinese omelette lover! Their chicken omelettes are up there as one of my favourite foods. Gotta have one every few months and only certain takeaways do them properly - eggs, lots of onion, rubbery chicken and seasoning. Some get all Ramsay and add peas and scraps...yeurch!!

What actually was the 'combination black pepper?'

Never had any takeaway surprises really. A Jalfrezi has arrived and been more of a korma. That's a real bummer when you're anticipating a great burn and something mild and friendly arrives. Squirt it with Scotch Bonnet and Ghost Pepper lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Yo! Hello fellow

eggs, lots of onion, rubbery chicken and seasoning. Some get all Ramsay and add peas and scraps...yeurch

You forgot the neighbors missing cat!? 😉😂

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

God yeah!! I always look at a place and avoid any with dirty fronts. There's a hygiene rating that goes online these days in England. Some of those with bad scores get in the local papers and make you wince with how #ing atrocious their kitchens are. Dead mice, droppings all over the food. Favourite account was an Indian with a dead relative in the larder lol. Literally a dead man on some cot and they carried on serving food for weeks iirc. It was more of a tragedy than simple bloodymindedness, but still...

What I've noticed is there's a very, very, very good correlation between grubby fronts and rodents in kitchens.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I have a horror story.

Not to far from my place is a Chinese noodle shop-he used a dirty sponge to clean the benches, put it in a dirty empty tin of instant coffee filled with dirty water, and poured the dirty water into my noodles as they were cooking. I caught the guy on my phone camera and he desperately tried to stop me filming and I demanded my money back and complained, I got my refund and then he handed me a card for the health inspector.

The funny thing is he knew exactly where the cards were and there were plenty of them which makes me think I was not the first one to complain.
edit on 2-4-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Are we talking egg foo yung or something else?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

😂😂 Sounds like maybe he just doesn't like you considering that would take 5x more effort than getting water from the tap.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Not to far from my place is a Chinese noodle shop-he used a dirty sponge to clean the benches, put it in a dirty empty tin of instant coffee filled with dirty water, and poured the dirty water into my noodles as they were cooking. I caught the guy on my phone camera and he desperately tried to stop me filming and I demanded my money back and complained, I got my refund and then he handed me a card for the health inspector.

I went to a local sushi bar that was supposed to be exceptional. I get there, take a seat at the bar, don't see the sushi chef and then lean over the counter, he's squatting down behind the counter flossing his teeth. Guy gets up, toss his floss and then, without washing his hands, asks what we want.

I went with the omakase.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have gotten the wrong order more than a few times. Sometimes I actually forgot what I ordered in the first place. After eating half the order someone would say "I thought you ordered this or that" They noticed someone saying they got the wrong order and returning it.

I never died, I learned something new. Now if it was something with avacados I would definitely return it.

I do like Chinese foods, I like most of the spice combinations. I do not like middle eastern dishes or most India highly spiced foods. A little is fine to taste, but I would be skinny as hell if I had to eat Middle eastern or India dishes all the time.

I go to the Chinese Buffets and avoid all raw fish.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm easy. I'll generally eat anything you bring me, even if it's not what I ordered. When I worked landscaping in college I had a boss who would raise hell if everything wasn't EXACTLY how he wanted it.

Those were some of the most embarrassing times of my life. Sitting there face palming while he screamed at the people who were making our food. Then not wanting to eat it, because I can only imagine what I'd do to his food if he yelled at me like that.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Delivery is not an option around our place. Not even pizza fer Christ sake! Twenty minute drive to any kind of food, gas, etc. Very peaceful though!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

My take-out adventures amount to striking a deal with my closest Chinese to have a mix and match of food for £6.
Most meals/dishes are £6, from fried rice to sweet n sour chicken balls, but as a meal for one just say chicken balls is boring, no variety, so a few weeks ago I asked "Can you do me a meal of mixed food that is £6"
Matey asked me what I liked, and I got a half n half container of egg fried rice with chicken in a cashew nut sauce, plus a few chicken balls and a tiny pot of sweet/sour sauce.
Result, it's become a thing now, so no longer bored to # eating one thing, I get a bits n bobs meal deal.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Combination over here means meat wise you get chicken, beef and bbq pork.

Black pepper was the sauce with vegies in.

Twas delicious and I tell you, would have gone even better with an omelette on the side!!

CornishCeltGuy : That right there is a brilliant way to go on food adventures on the cheap! You're a lucky duck!
Now I have a hankering simmering away for cashews....

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Lol true, I always say gotta ask to get!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I just called in for delivery.
I told them I have 20 dollars U.S.
Bring me some food.
Still waiting for the "kitchen surprise."

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Nah just egg omelette with slices of onion and long pieces of chicken. They do this thing called 'velveting' which makes the chicken tasty and succulent. It's not hard to do and worth a go if you don't mind oil spitting everywhere. It's the texture of a Chinese chicken omelette that makes it special.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Nah just egg omelette with slices of onion and long pieces of chicken. They do this thing called 'velveting' which makes the chicken tasty and succulent. It's not hard to do and worth a go if you don't mind oil spitting everywhere. It's the texture of a Chinese chicken omelette that makes it special.

I miss the good old days in Leeds and Bradford...

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I wouldn't even attempt making my own!

Last time I successfully cooked an omelette on a stove was nearly 20 years ago in French class and that was amazing. Subsequent forays have ended up with me burning stuff or giving up and making scrambled with bits in.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

I wouldn't even attempt making my own!

Last time I successfully cooked an omelette on a stove was nearly 20 years ago in French class and that was amazing. Subsequent forays have ended up with me burning stuff or giving up and making scrambled with bits in.

Olive oil is the secret... (refined)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join