It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the hard time for Cali?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
I did drive through the Mojave Desert in June in a '66 Mustang with no A/C, so there's that, too. The thermometer in Needles, CA, said about 115, IIRC.

Could be a scene in a US movie

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yes, but the sunburns that will be experienced by the pasty CornishCelt folks will negate the attractiveness of the accent LOL

blisters and peeling, flaky skin...now that's sexy!

LMAO, give us a month or two and we adapt so look the same...but that accent, it's as annoying I bet as the stereotypical guy playing guitar around the campfire attracting your womenfolk.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Also, make sure you check out a cost of living calculator because cost of living swings widely from state to state too.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: rickymouse
Unless a person has a real lot of money to waste, stay away from Cali. The cost of living there is way too high. They made their bed, let them lay in it. I feel sorry for some of the people working there, they are brainwashed to think they are doing great because of the wage they make. But they are no better off than working somewhere else where the cost of living is less. People are not that smart, the more you spend, the more you need to make to be at the same place.

Half the state of California lives in delusion, they can't comprehend that their high cost of living is making them poor.

I find a lot of people that live in CA are up to their eyeballs in debt trying to live the high life. This is why CA (Orange County specifically) was the home to so many subprime mortgage companies.

Not to mention the homeless encampments nearly existing as a perimeter around the county

Give me one state that does not have homeless encampments.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Also, make sure you check out a cost of living calculator because cost of living swings widely from state to state too.

Good shout, not unlike the EU, can buy a house for ten grand in Hungary. The reason it's so crap moving around the EU is the different languages in each country. Everyone has English as a second language hence mass migration here, the US is the promised land for Brits though being a mostly English speaking nation.
As an aside, my Polish neighbours told me that they wanted their child born in the UK because with our recipricol arrangements regarding the simple electronic visa, she could get into the US easier than with a Polish passport.
I totally understood, but it is so calculated in the use of nationality status.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: rickymouse
Unless a person has a real lot of money to waste, stay away from Cali. The cost of living there is way too high. They made their bed, let them lay in it. I feel sorry for some of the people working there, they are brainwashed to think they are doing great because of the wage they make. But they are no better off than working somewhere else where the cost of living is less. People are not that smart, the more you spend, the more you need to make to be at the same place.

Half the state of California lives in delusion, they can't comprehend that their high cost of living is making them poor.

I find a lot of people that live in CA are up to their eyeballs in debt trying to live the high life. This is why CA (Orange County specifically) was the home to so many subprime mortgage companies.

Not to mention the homeless encampments nearly existing as a perimeter around the county

Is it a national problem?
Makes me wonder why Cali is advertising on TV for Brits to move there if they have plenty of people already.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I hate to say it, but they're probably just seeing you Brits as dollar signs with legs and an accent.

LMAO! Fair one, and an accent which will steal your women in the blink of an eye!

Worked for years with a charming older lady from London originally “an eon ago” as she put it (yet retained the delightful accent.

Could not listen to her for more than a minute without craving a scone an a hot cuppa!

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar
Haha yes!
But it works both ways though, some US accents absolutely melt me to the core...just speak to me...just speak to me...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

well don't be a smoker because according to posts on my news feed they just adopted a 2 dollar a pack tax on cigarettes there and coffee has to have label declaring it causes cancer.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

It would be nice to do something about those, but I'm not the guy with the solution. Simply giving people a free, clean place to live because they can't get it together enough to get their own is kind of rewarding them, and is certainly a slap in the face to all the people who work very hard to play by the rules to put a roof over their own heads.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

It would be nice to do something about those, but I'm not the guy with the solution. Simply giving people a free, clean place to live because they can't get it together enough to get their own is kind of rewarding them, and is certainly a slap in the face to all the people who work very hard to play by the rules to put a roof over their own heads.

Many homeless have mental issues. Which rules are they supposed to play by?

I'm not particularly liberal on freeloading, just so you know. But, life can change in an instant. Whole families are on the streets, from job loss, eviction, medical bills, etc.

There is a lot of open desert for regulated camps. I support a "step system" that gives opportunity to earn your way out.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

well don't be a smoker because according to posts on my news feed they just adopted a 2 dollar a pack tax on cigarettes there and coffee has to have label declaring it causes cancer.

If you pay attention, just about everything you buy has a label on it that warns you that the state of California has determined it may cause cancer.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The problem with simply giving people houses, food, clothing, shelter, etc., is that it does not address the root cause of why that person was homeless to begin with.

Sure you might temporarily help, but if you don't fix the issue that created the problem, then sooner or later you are going to basically be right back where you started.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Do yourself a favor and wait for the deflationary period hitting the US to stop, housing and car prices will be the next to go way down as our dollar his far less purchasing power and they have to adjust cost to fit the new wage system they implement after the 2008 crash

wages are way down and in order to stay alive companies will cut cost or they will go out of business, this goes for housing cost as well

Millennial's on average can not afford what the boomers did and neither can Gen X and they won't be retiring

look at the unfunded pension liabilities in Cali, big corrections coming but get in after

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Let's summarize. Cali gets a bad rap because, well, "Caifornicate" about sums it up.

1. Extreme leftist politics.
2. Extreme taxes.
3. Extreme traffic.
4. Extreme cost-of-living.
5. Extreme crowding.
6. Extreme lack of water.
7. Extreme wild fires.
8. Extreme pollution.

But you can't knock the weather and if you are into welfare payments, that's the place to go. Everyone gets a large screen TV with their first month's payment.
Damn, this is so true.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Many homeless have mental issues. Which rules are they supposed to play by?

I'm not particularly liberal on freeloading, just so you know. But, life can change in an instant. Whole families are on the streets, from job loss, eviction, medical bills, etc.

There is a lot of open desert for regulated camps. I support a "step system" that gives opportunity to earn your way out.
Work camps?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Seriously, California is insanely overpriced in most areas. I legitimately received a job offer in the last week that was right at $100 an hour, and compared for cost of living it would have equated out to around a $3000 raise. There are wonderful parts of CA, and some very wonderful people, but there's no way that I would even consider living there.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You've got tons of good years! I'm late 40s and as long as I keep away from the stress perhaps I can avoid the heart attack that took my dad out. I hiked 60 miles through Glacier National Park recently and it was amazing. We've got a beautiful country.

eta - sorry, not trying for thread drift, I'm pro CA, as stated before, you will pay more in some cities, less in others. But in my CA city, I wake up almost every day, walk outside in the warmth, look up at the sun and smile. Sure is nice starting the day thinking that this life is pretty alright. I'd rather pay a little bit more for that.
edit on 2-4-2018 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

California is beautiful, but it's expensive. The taxes probably aren't anything you aren't used to, but unless you're living in London right now, the cost of living difference to live in any city is going to take some adjustment.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I want to move to Australia a lot of need for python developers and network engineers?

If you're serious, Australian immigration works on a points system. You apply on their website, and various factors like the time you plan to stay, savings to support yourself, job prospects, job skills, education, known languages, and if you've already gotten a job offer are factored on a point by point basis. If you get above a specific score, you're able to move there.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join