It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much for gun control...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Randall knives are fighting knives, designed and constructed by combat veteran from Vietnam.

Big difference between fighting knives and other sorts.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It was more rhetorical, but I wonder if the criminals in London have lots of knife training, or is it just jab and slash?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Most likely stab and slash (and most likely that was also rhetorical)--it doesn't take a ton of training, if any, to be able to use a knife in a deadly manner, the training comes in much more in how to defend against a knife attack, how to disarm a knife, etc.

This is why I will always say that a knife is a deadlier weapon than a gun, and I would much rather not be faced with either, but if I had my choice, it'd be a bad guy with a gun rather than a knife.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Maybe, it just seems to me that if they pull a knife, and you pull a knife and act like you’re going to stab at them with it, they’d say to hell with it and run off. Same thing if they’ve got a gun and you’ve got a gun, I would imagine. Most criminals want it to be easy with no major obstacles. Now, if they’ve got a gun and you’ve only got a knife, they definitely have the upper hand.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

This is why I will always say that a knife is a deadlier weapon than a gun

No doubt about that SM! Especially in close quarters type situations, can easily be more deadly than a firearm. As I am sure you are aware, all but the most compact of handguns (let alone rifles/pistol carbines etc) are much more difficult to wield in close quarters environments than an edged weapon

That said, I am not trained in edged weapons and the only training I have had in them relates to firearms (Tueller Drill) and the one thing I took away from it was "Never let someone with a knife get closer than 21 ft."

Given the propensity for a criminal to use an edged weapon, I would be interested in acquiring additional training on the matter. Not to mention the fact I carry an edged weapon (spyderco civilian model) for off-hand firearm retention purposes

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Maybe, it just seems to me that if they pull a knife, and you pull a knife and act like you’re going to stab at them with it, they’d say to hell with it and run off.

While reasonable people (such as you and I) would certainly run if presented with an attacker wielding an edged weapon, the element of surprise is a formidable advantage. As self-defenders, we unfortunately do not get to choose the time and place of the attack (within reason, of course we can alter our own routes and what not) and instead have to react to what the bad guy presents us with

Same thing if they’ve got a gun and you’ve got a gun, I would imagine.

No doubt about it, psychological stops are very real. I couldn't tell you how common/uncommon they are, but I believe a certain percentage of potential violent crimes can be thwarted by the self-defender simply presenting a weapon with the intent of using it as an absolute last resort. Unfortunately there are a certain number of desperate/violent criminals who simply become further enraged at resistance, and will just as soon engage in a running gun fight with their intended victim than to go home empty handed

Either way, I would really like to see a vastly expanded array of training options out there available for those interested in self-defense. The decision to carry a firearm is probably the most important one you can make (in regard to your own personal safety), but I think that getting the right training and staying up to date on your shooting skills is crucial. Even more crucial is having the verbal skills and de-escalation training to make sure a situation doesn't escalate to deadly force unless absolutely unavoidable

I have never met a cop or citizen who took this responsibility lightly. And I would love to see these attitudes reflected in the general population of self-defenders. Proficiency, competency and repetition of these skills really do save lives. Whether it is your own life you save or the life of a criminal/attacker who you just talked down, it really is worth it

As many here who carry will probably attest, it is far easier to simply avoid dangerous routes/areas, get used to apologizing even when you're in the right and to exercise the better part of valor (discretion) and make like a tree and leaf at the first sign of trouble

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

People use every tragedy in order to push agendas. School shooting = cry for more gun control from one side.
These Crime statistics = cry for less from the other.
If you look at each tragedy perpetrated by some one, someone will pish their agenda.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You are half right, but then again, you're arguing for the claim that just having a gun (or other weapon) on your person is a good enough deterrent in itself, which bolsters the cliché that "an armed society is a polite society."

But we all know that's not how the real-world works, otherwise police wouldn't be getting shot at or attacked, gun fights would never happen, and really, all crime would drop dramatically if murders and violent attacks were only committed by mostly rational people looking for easy opportunity.

The reality is that murders and violent assaults are often committed by enraged, emotionally blinded people (often on drugs), and reason and logic go out the window with those people, so being armed is not always a deterrent.

Now, if they’ve got a gun and you’ve only got a knife, they definitely have the upper hand.

That is a common misconception, but this is not true in every situation. But again, that's where training comes in--if the individual with a weapon is not at least minimally trained, things probably won't work out well for them.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

It's too bad that you don't live in the Cincinnati area--my Sifu teaches straight-blade and karambit courses on a regular basis (the karambit course being three different levels at different times). He's great with a blade and really knows the vital areas to strike.

We also learn defenses, too, but the biggest defense that he teaches, and he usually says it at the beginning of the class and at the end of the class, is: If you can, run. If you can't, you are going to get cut, so just train to be the one who cuts the other guy worse.

In Krav Maga, we work defenses against multiple knife attacks and threats (the difference matters) in levels three and up. Actually, next weekend, he's putting on a seminar on how to handle different violent situations and have the best chance of survival--it should be interesting.

I'm glad that someone understands the deadliness of knives--usually I'm just met with arguments against the reality that a knife should be considered more deadly than a firearm...well, at least more dangerous.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
London has officially topped New York City for its murder rate, as the gun-lacking nation's criminals turn to knives and other deadly weapons in place of firearms.

Sadly, law abiding UK citizens have been denied the right of public self defense by their government.

The city of Big Ben and the tube that sits on the Thames River overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history as the British capital dealt with a surge in knife attacks.

The Sunday Times reports that 15 people were murdered in London, against 14 in New York. Both cities are very diverse with large populations: London has over 8.7 million residents to New York’s 8.5 million.

www.foxnews.com...

Stop the madness! Firearms save the lives of innocents everywhere. Gun rights are human rights.

Most of these are gang related. You give them guns, and they will just shoot eachother.

One thing England does not have is a lone gunman going into schools and killing children! People say it is not because of guns. If that is the case, why does the UK not have line knifemen going into schools and killing children?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: TinySickTears

It isn't sensational at all. And I'm not trying to change UK policy, just point out how nonsensical it is. Just goes to show you that a country with strict gun laws doesn't fare better than one without. Recall that SCOTUS forced NY/NYC to stop denying citizen's the right to carry. NYC's annual deaths used to be in the THOUSANDS when all firearms were virtually banned. They have since dropped to the lowest numbers anyone can recall...

Coincidence? Could be. Could also be that legal firearms has absolutely nothing to do with violent criminals committing crimes (the only thing they know how to do) - except reducing it through deterrence or outright force. Either way, something is working in NYC. And it appears violent crime in anti-gun areas universally goes up..check the stats.

Anecdotal evidence also suggests a good portion of those calling for outright gun confiscation (vs. certain reasonable and near universally supported background checks, training, etc) are actually unable to themselves own firearms. On one website I frequent, a convicted robber (not burglar, but actual robber) was the loudest voice against....

Again, just anecdotal. And I agree, the overall number killed by firearms in the US and other countries every year is a very insignificant number.

You are mentioning just two cities, that's it. Knife crime has gone up because the number of violent gang crime has gone up.

How many if these was just a random person just wanting to kill people? Your argument is pointless!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join